LegacyGT.com

Humming, roaring -- wheel bearing?

Ah gotcha. The place that's doing mine said they're doing just the bearing.

Should be one hub assembly, not bearings pressed-in/out. $125 Front, $108 Rear. Nr. 1 in this drawing (Front). Picture courtesy of our vendor Fred Bean Parts.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/mechanical/F731025.gif

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I called them to double check, and the said it is the entire hub assembly on our car. The day they looked at it he was under the impression the bearings were pressed in, but I guess that's not the case for us. I guess the previous generation Subarus are pressed in, but not ours.

I called them to double check, and the said it is the entire hub assembly on our car. The day they looked at it he was under the impression the bearings were pressed in, but I guess that's not the case for us. I guess the previous generation Subarus are pressed in, but not ours.

Good. There was a guy (A different thread?) who tried to replace just the bearing and was still having problems, part of his issue was whether the hub and bearing, by different manufacturers, really fit or were the tolerances different.

Just make sure you get an OEM one (or direct OEM replacement) so that it has the ABS sender incorporated into the hub.

Good. There was a guy (A different thread?) who tried to replace just the bearing and was still having problems, part of his issue was whether the hub and bearing, by different manufacturers, really fit or were the tolerances different.

See my post above - it's more about the hub actually being assembled with an integrated ABS sender - some are and some aren't. Need to make sure it's OEM or OEM direct-replacement.

yeah i was worried about the drum being stuck which it was... it took me about 30 minutes to dig through my spare bolts bin and find something i could use to push it off with.

Keep in mine I'm used to working on jeep drums which have no fancy pants threaded holes to get them off so it took me a while to even figure that out.

• 1 year later...
Hi all, I just love this forum. My 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon with 75k started to have a slight hum come from the back end and I thought it was my new Conti DWS's so I just delt with it thinking it was normal ( I thought I read on the site the tires were loud) It seemed to get louder recently so I checked here again and found this post. Thank God I did, took the car in the dealer and they replaced both rear wheel bearings (TBS 03-58-08) The sounds, what sounds, no crazy humming coming from the rear, I'm in shock. Thank you to all who left posts you saved me $400-500 and my sanity.

Yes, 100,000 miles or 8 years, I think it was.

I just did my last hub on Saturday. Like it was posted, be careful with the slide hammer, it will pull the bearing out. I stopped and had to wait 15 min's for the PB Blaster to work on the seam between the backing plate and the spindle. Used a normal hammer to tap the backing plate which holds the hub which is rusted into the spindle.

Once the four bolts are out all that's holds the hub in is rust.

I had to have the GF step on the brake pedal while I used the 3FT bar on the 1/2" breaker bar to break the axle nut free.

Again I had to set the the backing plate up side down on 4x4's with 2x4's blocks and beat the old hub out of the backing plate. Again the PB Blaster needs to do its job.

Took me just under hour and a half start to finish.

This was a right rear and I used a Moog Hub assembly

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My rears made a low-moaning, changing to intrusive roar, noise as speed increased. Changed both left and right rear at the same time. With the old assemblies in my hand, both were pretty noisy and gritty, one more so than the other.

Also, don't forget to check your tire pressures and alignment before you jump straight to wheel bearing replacement. A tire very low on air pressure or a wheel significantly out-of-toe (+ or -), can cause a lot of noise from that tire/axle.

I noticed it a lot on a recent trip with entire rear hatch and back seat pretty full of sound-deadening stuff. Post-replacement - nothing but low-level road noise - now that the rear is empty.

my 05 has 100900 miles on it. I just bought it last week and I am hearing the bearing noises. Anyone have experience on Subaru cutting some slack on the extended warranty when its so close to 100k? Or am I screwed and should just pick up parts off Fred Bean?

my 05 has 100900 miles on it. I just bought it last week and I am hearing the bearing noises. Anyone have experience on Subaru cutting some slack on the extended warranty when its so close to 100k? Or am I screwed and should just pick up parts off Fred Bean?

Depends on the dealer.

Depends on the dealership and also on how well the vehicle was maintained, particularly if this was mentioned in a pre-100K service write-up. If you can show/prove that this was brought to Subaru's attention before you bought the car and it wasn't repaired, you may have some chance. Expect a 50/50 (Subaru buys the parts/You pay the labor) as a compromise approach if they're willing to "help".

Archived