LegacyGT.com

Painting Rims.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wheels on my wife's 98 looked similar ever since she got the car. I painted them for her earlier this spring. Here's a couple pics.

Mine were worse to begin with and I got tired of cleaning them. Looking back they should have been bead blasted but oh well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308455206.316730.thumb.jpg.937a28b985059949a7e99d30a0434101.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308455298.062551.thumb.jpg.1663b84325d3796afcfa60ea29f6a996.jpg

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Looking forward to how yours turn out.

Mine were all bad like the one I showed. I actually dropped the wheels off at my local mechanic and had them remove the tires. To make it easier on me.

Steps I used:

-cleaned the wheels with a wire brush and sand paper

-washed the wheels

-about 4 light coats of self-etching primer

-about 4 coats of filler primer

-5 coats of duplicolor wheel paint

-2 coats of clear coat

-let them sit for a week before mounting tires... Should have waited at least two weeks IMO.

Good luck!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• I Donated

Here is my process

- dismount tires

- light sand with 500+ grit sandpaper

- one light coat of primer

- 30 minutes after primer first light coat of paint

- 15 minutes between coats, usually about 4 coats total

- after last coat - wait 10 minutes then do a light coat of clearcoat...followed by 3 more 10 minutes apart

- mount tires a day later

its worked excellent for me so far. My end result is a smooth and VERY glossy wheel that looks like it had been painted by a body shop

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Here is my process

- dismount tires

- light sand with 500+ grit sandpaper

- one light coat of primer

- 30 minutes after primer first light coat of paint

- 15 minutes between coats, usually about 4 coats total

- after last coat - wait 10 minutes then do a light coat of clearcoat...followed by 3 more 10 minutes apart

- mount tires a day later

its worked excellent for me so far. My end result is a smooth and VERY glossy wheel that looks like it had been painted by a body shop

this is basically my process too, except i use a thicker coat of primer once, or two real light coats

• I Donated
this is basically my process too, except i use a thicker coat of primer once, or two real light coats

I've had back luck with thick coats of primer. The end result doesn't seem to be as smooth if I use a thick coat of primer

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I would like to do about three coats if primer. And do the first to right after each other but on the third sand it down before I start again.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Polished the wheels to fill in some of the bad parts I couldn't get rid of it worked out well. Might try to paint tomorrow after work. Should I get the primer that is made for aluminum? Or should I save my money and get normal stuff

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Archived