LegacyGT.com

2.5GT lags on acceleration

take the car to 1/4 mile race track , see what it runs .. the over all power out put will eliminate the turbo engin and tranny, if it works at wot it should be fine at part throttle.

what it may be is engine or tranny trying to protect it self.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, here is the latest (and probably final) on this issue:

About two weeks ago the Check Engine Light finally came on; the code was P0304 - Misfire, Cylinder 4. If we cleared the code, it would return within a few miles of driving.

Brought vehicle to mechanic who wanted to try replacing the ECU with another (as previously discussed in this thread) and, while doing so they pulled and examined the cylinder 4 spark plug, rechecked compression, and checked the coil pack. No obvious problems.

New (actually, used) ECU did not resolve the problem.

This past Friday, engine abruptly stalled about 1 mile from home after a brief "rattling" noise according to my son, who was driving. Engine would not crank, let alone start, so we had it towed to mechanic. He reports a siezed piston (I presume #4) and does not advise springing for another rebuild. Duh!

So, anyone out there interested in a 2005 LGT with damaged engine?

I guess #4 ringland failed terribly?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. FWIW, new OEM shortblock is $2k and you can reuse the heads, so consider the overall cost before junking it. The mechanic can probably get it cheap from you and turn it around for a good profit since these cars are going for 10-11k.

Edit: forgot you already did a rebuild shortly before this. Any chance it came with a warranty?

Sorry for your lose.

If you do get a new short block, I suggest you also get Cobb AP and go to stage one Or get a stage one map from one of the guy's here.

My Tuner has mentioned there is a timing flaw in the OEM map. The Tuners have found it and fixed it. My 05 has been it Cobb Stage 1 since 8000 miles in Dec 04 when the AP first came out. With all the abuse we have given the engine it's still running at 142,000 miles.

There must be something to having a good tune or Cobb AP. My 09 Spec B is also at stage 1.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A new shortblock from the dealer is $1800-2000. That plus installation and odds and ends, probably 4k. Go with new if at all humanly possible.

Sent from tapatalk, yo

I have to admit, there is some concern that a new shortblock will just get us back to where we were, leaving us with the origianl problem of poor acceleration and severely screwed up ignition timing.

Most likely it was not rebuilt correctly with respect to cylinder clearance. Oil system could have been clogged with remnant debris from the previous failure and lead to this.

I suspect due diligence in replacing the appropriate oil components and reusing the old heads (inspected) would work out fine if the engine builder is good.

Archived