LegacyGT.com

Legacy Wagon 2012/2013

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it really does suck that subaru doesnt make the gt wagon anymore. I guess they didn't want it to effect the sales of the outback.

From what I remember reading, they got rid of the Legacy wagon to streamline the overall line up and to avoid customer confusion between two different wagons. It makes sense to sell more of one model then a few of two models. They'll make more money that way.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

From what I remember reading, they got rid of the Legacy wagon to streamline the overall line up and to avoid customer confusion between two different wagons. It makes sense to sell more of one model then a few of two models. They'll make more money that way.

They can streamline the overall line up to one model - Outback. This will surely avoid any customer confusion.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Now that they both look like SUVs, there's no point in selling the Legacy wagon.

so i dont understand the "it doesnt sell" idea.. i dont remeber seeing any car companies crushing any cars, cause they didnt sell...... they just might take longer to sell than some others. Now before I get flamed... I understand that if it takes longer to sell you make less money... every car that gets made gets sold... eventualy.

so i dont understand the "it doesnt sell" idea.. i dont remeber seeing any car companies crushing any cars, cause they didnt sell...... they just might take longer to sell than some others. Now before I get flamed... I understand that if it takes longer to sell you make less money... every car that gets made gets sold... eventualy.
There is more to it than that. Often folks forget about the time to design and engineer each model. Not huge here since we are only talking about minor changes for the US market (bumbers, emissions, safety equipment, etc.). But also there is tooling and manufacturing costs. Volume is key for covering overhead. It is the same with minivans. It doesn't get discussed on forum posts like these because Subaru never made one.

Folks just need to get over that the wagon is gone. It won't come back, and the foriegn markets are next.

Agreed with everything up to the point about "foreign markets are next". Foreign markets are seeing a marked-upturn in wagon sales as more and more owners/drivers are realizing the excellent utility that a wagon provides. Stodgy USDM drivers just don't "need" it because they have a huge choice between trucks, minivans, cross-overs and SUVs. ROTW doesn't have nearly the depth of field from which to select so, for them, a wagon makes sense.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Additional tooling cost for producing USDM Legacy Wagon would be minimal taking into account that USDM Outback is pretty much same vehicle. One could even argue that Legacy Wagons would be less expensive to manufacture since Outback needs different suspension parts while Legacy wagon uses the same suspension as Legacy sedan.

SOA just finds it easier to present their Legacy Wagon glass as half-empty while the rest of us sees it as half-full.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

There is more to it than that. Often folks forget about the time to design and engineer each model. Not huge here since we are only talking about minor changes for the US market (bumbers, emissions, safety equipment, etc.). But also there is tooling and manufacturing costs. Volume is key for covering overhead. It is the same with minivans. It doesn't get discussed on forum posts like these because Subaru never made one.

Folks just need to get over that the wagon is gone. It won't come back, and the foriegn markets are next.

You shall be aware that on some markets you are dead as a dodo if you don't have a wagon in your product line.

453747.png

^ There are tiny markets that might be true, but you have to acknowledge the 800 pound Gorilla (China). I would have to do more reading, but I got the impression there was more movement toward crossovers (not SUVs...those are truly dying in all markets), and touring cars (the four-door fastback/hatchback). I'll conceed I'm not super knowledgable about the foriegn markets.

Agreed with everything up to the point about "foreign markets are next". Foreign markets are seeing a marked-upturn in wagon sales as more and more owners/drivers are realizing the excellent utility that a wagon provides. Stodgy USDM drivers just don't "need" it because they have a huge choice between trucks, minivans, cross-overs and SUVs. ROTW doesn't have nearly the depth of field from which to select so, for them, a wagon makes sense.

I would bet here they sell more wagons than sedans by 2:1

How much are you willing to wager?

Wagons are dead in the US unless you market them as a non-wagon that happens to look like a wagon. The US went to minivans to avoid the wagon stigma and then went to SUVs to avoid the minivan stigma. I don't want to see what replaces the SUV stigma.

How much are you willing to wager?

Wagons are dead in the US unless you market them as a non-wagon that happens to look like a wagon. The US went to minivans to avoid the wagon stigma and then went to SUVs to avoid the minivan stigma. I don't want to see what replaces the SUV stigma.

Wagons.....

Probably about the same ratio here - or better.

Took a look at the parking lot where I live and out of 16 cars only 4 were sedans, the rest were wagons or at least aspiring to be wagons.

453747.png

Where is "here" ? You kinda left that part out.

http://nzoutside.com/magazine/images/nz_road_trip.jpg

http://www.esidle.com/travel/photos/nz/sheep_road.jpg

http://www.snowboarderguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/ken-block-subaru-sti.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2agth6s.jpg

Archived