LegacyGT.com

Factory 5's new $15k Subaru sports car

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/update/nextcar/818intro.html

Pretty cool stuff. The price is awesome. I just need them to build something that I can fit in. lol

This is what you would need from your donor WRX:

• Front spindles with full brakes and front lower control arms

• Rear spindles with brakes and e-brake handle/cables

• Steering rack, tie rod ends, and upper steering column assembly

• Pedal box and throttle

• Master cylinder and brake booster, and clutch master cylinder

• Engine with turbo and intercooler (if WRX model)

• Exhaust manifolds, O2 sensors, and down tube

• Transmission

• Rear lower control arms, toe links, and CV joints

• Front seats, rear seat belts, and gauge pod

• Fuel pump

• Radiator

• Wheels and tires

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The design goal behind this car is very straightforward, the car must be simple, lightweight, affordable, and easy to build in countries around the world. The emphasis will be on handling and driving fun rather than on the 200 mph exotic or the everyday commuter. The majority of the cars we sell are street cars and this will not be an exception, so full lighting, covered wheels, and safety items will all be incorporated but not much beyond that in terms of luxury type stuff. To keep things simple this will be an elemental performance based street car first but with a roll bar/structure sufficient for track days. The suspension is a double A-arm/multilink with Koni coil-overs on all corners (we will not use the Subaru struts). In terms of what we will use from the Subaru, the goal is everything possible that doesn't compromise the design goal. We won't utilize the unibody but at this point every other piece is fair game (ok, probably not the headliner either).

haha wow, i never would have thought factory five would go in that direction. i toured their facilities and they have some awesome cars. i'd love to get the daytona / type 65 coupe kit from them.

can't wait to see how this design turns out.

I've been daydreaming about the GTM and the "Ford" Coupe for years. Those would end up in the $30k range though. $40k+ if you want nice paint and a nice motor. But this, at $15k, sounds a lot more possible. $20k with a bunch of extra power. :)

Very interesting.

the only reason i'm thinking for the low price point is due to having to provide your own donor wrx for it.

that saves them the cost of getting the drivetrain and motor. and i would think building the shell isn't that expensive once you get the panel mold and jigs setup for mass production.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Dont know if this is the correct thread or not. I am thinking about making an 818. But instead of using the older WRX I was thinking about using my 2005 LGT when I have finished wearing it out. My questions to you guys are.

1. The 818 is designed for the 2005 WRX generation. What are the suspension differences between that and my 2005 Legacy GT? Does ours have the same mounting holes for the rack as the WRX? How about the suspension to frame mounting point?

2. Is anyone here thinking about making an 818 as well?

Neat, I haven't checked in on this project in a long time. Glad to see it's still moving along.... Though it's slightly less relevant with the BRZ running around (at quite a bit higher cost, more weight and less mid-engine, I know, but the novelty of a RWD Subaru boxer no longer exists).

• Mega Users

none of you guys are factoring in paint, brakes, driveline, transmission, and all the other shit you need to make one of these happen. its a 30k at LEAST, all said and done. Probably much more depending on the preferences of certain individuals.

at that rate, unless you really are keen on being unique, I would just get the BRZ or the new scion/toyota and throw a turbo motor in there.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

none of you guys are factoring in paint, brakes, driveline, transmission, and all the other shit you need to make one of these happen. its a 30k at LEAST, all said and done. Probably much more depending on the preferences of certain individuals.

at that rate, unless you really are keen on being unique, I would just get the BRZ or the new scion/toyota and throw a turbo motor in there.

I do not believe you took the time to read the link. The only "shit" you would need from your list would be paint. You start with their kit and a donor WRX.

• Mega Users
I believe they're counting the cost of a donor car in the overall price. The whole point is to use running gear from a wrx. I would hope the body is part of the kit.

I do not believe you took the time to read the link. The only "shit" you would need from your list would be paint. You start with their kit and a donor WRX.

true, you need the donor car from what I originally mentioned.

30k might be a high estimate, but this is not a 15k kit car. Period.

• Mega Users
15k. Kit under 10k. Donor under 4k. Anything you want beyond that is superfluous.

I spent more than this building my LGT.

really? a 4k donor car with ALL the parts in functioning condition? you need a shit ton of parts from the donor car. whoever is selling that car is getting robbed.

Archived