LegacyGT.com

Hybrids and transmission (or lack thereof) options

vr4Legacy

This is something that has crossed my mind in the pas few years.

I enjoy driving a manual transmission, and for the perceivable future see myself always buying a MT car. (Yet another reason I chose my LGT, midsize performance WITH a MT)

Are manual transmissions possible in a hybrid? I wouldn't think they would be, given my understanding of a hybrid drivetrain, being able to disengage the engine from the drivetrain would defeat regenerative braking.

I do remember seeing the commercials for the CR-Z and it seemed like it had a manual transmission.

I suppose a sport mode with paddle shifters would always be an option, but I for one like the feel of a clutch and patter of shifting through the gears.

Just curious what others think/feel on this subject.

Given the rumors of hybrid coming to Subaru, I thought this was most appropriate in this section.

They are. The CR-Z comes with a 6MT and like Rob said, the Civic Hybrid could, at one time, be had with a manual transmission.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Cool, Yeah I went to the Honda site after the posting this (shoulda searched first! :lol:) and saw it was an option. Do they still use regenerative braking?

My other conern is what will happen when/if we switch to electric vehicles.... I don't really know how they are laid out, but I can't imagine it being one massive motor attached to a transmission....

I just really like the feel of shifting a MT. Of course by the time electric vehicles are practical and become mainstream, I'll probably be too old to drive or at least to wanna shift :lol:

Even non-hybrids use regenerative braking. The new BMW's don't have alternators.

Full electric vehicles won't likely have transmissions in the traditional sense.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Even non-hybrids use regenerative braking. The new BMW's don't have alternators.

Full electric vehicles won't likely have transmissions in the traditional sense.

I don't believe that is true. I believe that the alternator is conected to the motor via a clutch instead of always on like a traditional alternator so that it disengaged when not needed to save on fuel. Think about it, if you didn't have an alternator you couldn't recharge the battery if idling or over long trips with no braking.

I don't believe that is true. I believe that the alternator is conected to the motor via a clutch instead of always on like a traditional alternator so that it disengaged when not needed to save on fuel. Think about it, if you didn't have an alternator you couldn't recharge the battery if idling or over long trips with no braking.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/efficient_dynamics/innovative_technologies/brake_energy_regeneration.html

On long trips, the generator will engage while cruising as needed.

Regenerative braking is the entire raison d'etre of a hybrid.

To say it is the "reason for being" of a hybrid is a stretch. Early hybrids did not embrace the technology, and hybrid technology started without the idea. Of course, I don't think it could be effective without it, which is why I question a manual transmission on a hybrid car. With the clutch in how is the power regenerated? Are there seperate generators at each wheel? Before the clutch mechanism? Or do you just lose some efficiency if you brake with the clutch engage?

If the generator is driven by the final drive, all you have to do is apply a load across it to generate power. Clutch operation has nothing to do with this.

I believe the Civic was designed with a post-gear reduction generator where the electric motor directly drove the output of the transmission (likely with some form of gear reduction). When the clutch was engaged (engaged on a clutch means contact, or foot off of the clutch), the electric motor would simply add power to the output, supplementing the gasoline engine. In braking, you change the field around the electric motor and charge the batteries. That is speed dependent, not clutch dependent.

You got me on the engage / dis-engaged ... I typed a little faster than I was thinking :lol:

The rest makes sense. I was always a little curious to how the drivetrain was laid out.

Thanks for the info.

Archived