LegacyGT.com

Crash at North Haven CVS

That's why I believe every driver after the age of 60 should be required to retake a drivers test (free obviously) every 2-5 years for safety reasons (which I feel are really obvious). It's not to bash on older drivers. When I'm at that age, I would hope they do this. Most elderly drivers don't realize they shouldn't be on the road anymore.

I think everyone no matter what age you are that holds a drivers license to be required to take a driving test every other year.. I drive over 100,000 miles a year and I see a LOT of dangerous drivers (because they take foolish risks)

I think everyone no matter what age you are that holds a drivers license to be required to take a driving test every other year.. I drive over 100,000 miles a year and I see a LOT of dangerous drivers (because they take foolish risks)

While I understand your argument, those foolish risks aren't going to appear on a driving test. Wheras deterioration of motor skills and reaction times will.

Also you have to take into consideration the massive amount of strain making everyone test every other year would add to the DMV.

Now maybe everyone could log online and take a free written refresher exam.... that would at least remind them of the rules of the road and maybe help them avoid such foolish risks.... plus it shouldn't add any strain to the DMV lines.

Granted not everyone's reactions change at the same rate, but it is a pretty safe bet to say that above age 60 is where it increases.

As for a full fledged test, I think that may be a bit much. I think an age progressive driving test would be ideal. Perhaps at a certain age (60ish) you start taking vision and reaction tests every 2 or 3 years, with the same interval as the rest for actual road test, then once you reach a certain age (75ish) you have to take everything more frequently, until eventually it is every year. I'm sorry but once you reach age 80, things change alot in a years time.

I hope when I am in my 60's I would have no problem going in every couple of years and taking a simple vision/reaction time test to prove I am good to go.

One of the best points is, of course, that the testing should be cheap or free.

This is not meant to offend anyone of any age, just my point of view... slightly off topic, but not so much given the circumstances of the accident.

Archived