LegacyGT.com

Possible oil pickup tube solution

What do you think of this idea for a reinforced pickup tube?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this idea for a reinforced pickup tube?

• I think it will work and I'd like to see one mocked up
    • I think the idea is sound but needs a few tweaks.
    • I think it is a silly idea and you are a silly person for suggesting it.

I know for a fact, that a flexible tube could be made that would have no loss in performance compared to the oem rigid tube. I don't know what it would be made of or what it would look like, but ti could be done.

It would be a hydraulic hose, they do not collapse or deform under suction pressure, it would most likely be black, and have 3,000 psi stamped on the side ;)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be a hydraulic hose, they do not collapse or deform under suction pressure, it would most likely be black, and have 3,000 psi stamped on the side ;)

For commercial use there are usually 2-layer or 4-layer armor in the hoses. There are other variants too but they aren't as common and you may need to do a special order.

However for suction a 2-layer is well beyond sufficient.

The big problem with the hose is that at the end you want a strainer or a coarse filter to stop it from picking up larger items that may damage the pump, and that item may bounce around too much if you have a flexible hose.

453747.png

It's not about a drop in oil pressure or flow, but an increase in head loss. In automotive applications, it's important to keep head loss minimal. A rigid, smooth, pipe is the best way to do this.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Isn't the factory stuff always superior?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That's true. They fail all the time. It's an epidemic.

• 2 weeks later...
Replaced my pickup today with the Covert pickup from Import Image Racing. It was most definitely a solid unit, especially for the price(http://www.importimageracing.com/p/Covert-Performance-Oil-Pickup-WRX-STi-LGT-FXT.html), and although my OE wasn't cracked, who knows how long it had left. They are notorious for failing and Im much happier knowing that I replaced it. I used the stock tube bolts and the baffle bolts but the Covert comes with a single pair of longer replacement fasteners as well as a new o-ring gasket for the tube. I failed to insert the dipstick tube because, for whatever reason, it absolutely would not mate completely with the pan. :mad: So guess what I'm doin tomorrow?

2006 Legacy GT 78,000mi - My oil pickup tube cracked and I didn't realize it until the oil pressure light came on this last Wednesday. I shut it down immediately and had it towed to a local repair shop called Smart Service. Thursday they called and gave me the bad news. What I had thought was an exhaust rattle that I'd been hearing for the last 6 months, was actually rod knock from a failing rod bearing, which was obviously caused from oil starvation.

They quoted me $5500 for a new short block with gaskets, labor, etc. Then they went on to tell me that even though the Active Variable Cam System (AVCS) was still functioning correctly, they couldn't guarantee that the heads and turbo weren't damaged. They noted that there was some excessive turbo noise, but not real bad. If I want new heads, turbo, cams I can add $4400 to the bill for a total of $10,000 for a new engine.

I'm not going to pay $10,000 for these yahoo's to replace my engine with a new one, that's just crazy!

The question now is what should I do? I'm thinking a junk yard engine is my best bet.

Does anybody know which engines will be a drop in replacement? For example could I get an STI engine or am I stuck with sourcing a Legacy GT engine?

$5500 for a new short block installed is a bit expensive. It should really only be around $3800 or so. Heads and cams and everything, however, are not cheap. But yours can be cleaned and inspected and are likely in usable shape.

But labor is 20 hours by the book. At $90/hr, that's $1800. Plus gaskets =~$3800

Obviously, if you do the labor yourself, it'll be much less.

Some salvage yards might have cars that are totaled in the rear and/or side that still have a good engine. Those can be had for less, I would assume.

On a side note, one thing that looks nice upon first inspection of the engine bay is that there is one connector for the engine harness, so there is no hunting down or wires, plugs, sensors and connectors when swapping an engine. Does anyone know if that connector is the same for all EJ25x engines, or maybe all EJ engines? For those of you that have swapped engines before, hunting down all that stuff is a nightmare sometimes.

Hey Guys, go back to post 12. I'm assembling a rebuild and I took some pictures of what I meant.

The first picture is with the new tube torqued down at the oil pump side....notice the gap between the bracket and the block. Notice in the second picture if I push it down the holes do not line up. This is where the tube gets tweaked or bent slightly to get the holes to line up. I just add some flat washers between the block and bracket so the tube doesn't get stressed. You can see it's off quite a bit.

1070241684_install010.thumb.jpg.3e5c8251d3b49607c42d6d043995eb08.jpg

262167526_install013.thumb.jpg.bef350ebaaa6400ba79bafd823269cd9.jpg

Archived