LegacyGT.com

Getting bad MPG???

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am in Downingtown, PA and drive down to MD just over the line for work... if you are familiar with that area. Any help with the Subie you might be able to share or anyone you know of in the area who would be cool talking to a newbie with one of these would be helpful!

I work in Downingtown. I'm new to the Legacy scene but I'm kinda familiar with the boxer engine and very familiar with cars and engines in general.

In order to not derail the thread, I'm about to fill up after work after going through my first full tank on my new LGT. The dash says 21.9 mpg and i've gone 308 miles on this tank, so let's see how many gallons she takes. My commute is about 22 miles each way with little or no reason to gun it and boost, so I'm looking forward to going stage 1. i admit I've been playing with the boost since getting the car.

Can someone summarize what is Stage 1 and Stage 2? I would like to increase my fuel mileage and don't really care about packages but I would install what is necessary to make the improvements. I understand modifications will require computer tuning and other possible changes. I do all my own work on my Camaro and C10 trucks including engine building, chassis fabrication, etc. so I plan to do my own work on the Subie as well. If this comment is not appropriate here, maybe someone could PM me or send me to the correct forum. Thanks in advance.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-legacy-gt-stage-upgrade-definitions-48123.html?t=48123&highlight=unofficial+stage

Oh wow that is seriously broken down isn't it...Is it a sticky somewhere? If it isn't, it should be. I think if I venture under the hood it will be Stage 3.5 at a minimum. I have been spoiled by my V8 Chevys. Thanks again!

+1...FWIW, I get between 13.5 to 27mpg....lol Retuned my car for "better" mpg's and ended up with worse! retuned my car again today...we will see. normally I get 18, but I do live in Socal where the gas is horrible and no one knows how to drive a consistant speed. when I get on the free way, I tend to get 24/25 with cruise at about 75.

Recently bought an 05 lgt which came with an AVO CAI. Is that possibly reducing my mileage? Should I return to the factory airbox? I read that the intake isn't really helping me any aside from the whooosh sound, but is it HURTING me when it comes to mileage?

Recently bought an 05 lgt which came with an AVO CAI. Is that possibly reducing my mileage? Should I return to the factory airbox? I read that the intake isn't really helping me any aside from the whooosh sound, but is it HURTING me when it comes to mileage?

I would say that would only be possible if the car was never tuned after the part was put on. It would be even more possible if there's other mods. Of course, you could always get it tuned yourself... :)

I had poor mileage until I did some mods. EL headers, UP, DP (catted), K&N filter, and stage 2 tune got me to 28.2mpg highway.

Dude are you serious? You're saying if I mod it I'll get BETTER MILEAGE??

That's the only reason I've been reluctant to mod because I'm scared my mileage would go DOWN lol.

It makes sense I mean... Stronger engine does less work to do the same task.

Good to know though, what did you tune with?

I think the biggest reason MPG goes down after stage 1 and stage 2 is because your foot gets heavier and you enjoy boosting more. Driving like a granny will always get much better mileage, even in a car that's very powerful:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk]YouTube - Prius More Enviromentally Damaging Than BMW M3[/ame]

Dude are you serious? You're saying if I mod it I'll get BETTER MILEAGE??

That's the only reason I've been reluctant to mod because I'm scared my mileage would go DOWN lol.

It makes sense I mean... Stronger engine does less work to do the same task.

Good to know though, what did you tune with?

One thing that the tunes does is to try to maximize the power from the engine and disregard any mappings to keep NOx down. Most amount of NOx is produced when the combustion is best so what the stock maps are running is a compromise.

453747.png

I think the biggest reason MPG goes down after stage 1 and stage 2 is because your foot gets heavier and you enjoy boosting more. Driving like a granny will always get much better mileage, even in a car that's very powerful.

Great vid, though I admit I was scared for the Prius, thinking it was going to flip a few times.

Driving consistantly and lightly will always help mileage, but a properly tuned-up car helps as well. Fresh oil, plugs, clean air and fuel filters, all contribute to optimum conditions.

• 7 months later...
I have been getting about 18.5 mpg on my 07 legacy sedan, with its non-turbo (very basic) 2.5 engine. Mostly city driving, but not at all aggressive driving. This seems ridiculously low for a stock 4 banger. Any suggestions (spark plugs)?

Archived