LegacyGT.com

Getting bad MPG???

So I just bought an 06 LGT with a 5 speed manual trans. I have put about 500 miles on it, and I am getting roughly 19mpg. I just filled up my tank yesterday and reset my trip. I have half a tank and my trip says I traveled 101 miles??? I do not race the car because I have my 2month old son in the car with me. Does this sound a little odd to anyone? What kind of fuel mileage are these cars supposed to get? And what are some of you guys getting?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh wow, wrong section indeed. My apologies! Thanks for the reply, I guess I was just expecting a little more out of the 4 cylinder but I guess that is the price we pay to have a car that feels faster then a V6.

I pull about 24 mpg out of my car on highway only, but if you think about it, 1 Bar of boost pressure = approximately 2.5 liters of displacement. That means our cars effectively "feel" like a small block V8 :)

My 2.2 liter Legacy would regularly pull 30 mpg on the highway and was pretty snappy, but the LGT's seem to be on a whole nother level.

Moved thread to appropriate area.

Seems to be reasonable figures for the car, but you may be able to make the figures better by making sure that it's in good condition with right oil, clean air filter and cleaned injectors.

The best consumption I experienced driving my friend's STi was touching 25mpg, but that was a very conservative driving and almost never entering turbo boost RPM:s. Early shifting is the way to go, drive on torque rather than RPM, but on the other hand - if you do that you should have had a naturally aspirated engine instead.

As for me right now - I'm driving the diesel, but I'm still on my first tank so I can't tell how good it is. :)

453747.png

Just found out today that who ever installed the spark plugs in the Legacy PUT THE WRONG ONES IN!!!! They put the non turbo spark plugs in!!! I was driving on the freeway today and all of a sudden my car started misfiring! The CEL was flashing. So I pulled into a gas station and called my buddy who has an obd2 reader. Came up as misfire in cylinder 2! So I figured I would check the spark plug when I got it home!

fyi .. you car can display troubble codes through the gage cluster.

wrong spark plugs ? meh doesn't really change anything. at least as far as my experience

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

the boxer engine is also a poor designe for fuel economy, but great in so many other ways

eh ? the 2.5 i gets pretty darn good mpg ! for the weight of car and awd.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

So I just bought an 06 LGT with a 5 speed manual trans. I have put about 500 miles on it, and I am getting roughly 19mpg. I just filled up my tank yesterday and reset my trip. I have half a tank and my trip says I traveled 101 miles??? I do not race the car because I have my 2month old son in the car with me. Does this sound a little odd to anyone? What kind of fuel mileage are these cars supposed to get? And what are some of you guys getting?

I got 18.4mpg...

eh ? the 2.5 i gets pretty darn good mpg ! for the weight of car and awd.

Our cars are damn light when you compare them to some of the offerings from Germany and even other sport sedans from Japan. My little GTI weighed as much as my LGT did and killed it in terms of fuel economy even though it made as much power. Granted my GTI didn't have AWD.

To the OP: I get about 17-19 when I do a lot of stop and go driving.

It's a battle for me to stay above 20mpg. Much back roads driving. I'd imagine I could hit 23-25MPG if I did a long road trip, but nothing yet.

I wonder if a tune could help out with the MPGs at all? Thought I didn't buy the car for MPGs, still would be nice for a lil bump.

It's a battle for me to stay above 20mpg. Much back roads driving. I'd imagine I could hit 23-25MPG if I did a long road trip, but nothing yet.

I wonder if a tune could help out with the MPGs at all? Thought I didn't buy the car for MPGs, still would be nice for a lil bump.

Consider a Stage I tune. You should see some improvement as long as you don't develop an addiction to boost; which you will ;).

Consider a Stage I tune. You should see some improvement as long as you don't develop an addiction to boost; which you will ;).

I plan on staying stock till the clutch goes. Afterward I'll get a catless up and catted down, maybe a reusable panel filter, and definitely a Stage II tune.

LOL at "develop". I ran my Z32 for the first time this spring on Saturday. Evil smiles all around at 16PSI :eek:

Yeah... that'll kill your mpg :rolleyes: I rarely have high mpg, but on a road trip I'll average over 28 every time.

I bought my car used w/ 84000 miles and i was constantly getting 16-18, after replacing intake filter, 1000 mile oil changes (3 x), and new tires w/ alignment i was able to stay just above 20. Now stage 2 i get at least 22 and thats driving hard... IM ADDICTED!!! But i agree stage 1 doesn't help in terms of fuel economy.

Hey guys, I am new to the import stuff having driven nothing but Chevy trucks and Camaros all my life. At almost $4/gal mileage IS a concern. I bought my '05 LGT-A5 for basic transportation and daily driving to work. I wanted a nice car with decent mpg- and something that didn't completely suck because I am very spoiled, so I chose the Subie. I am averaging 22.5 mpg driving to work about 45 miles each way through the hills of southeastern PA. I am in and out of boost the whole time, so I suppose compared to others mileage I am doing okay.

Can someone summarize what is Stage 1 and Stage 2? I would like to increase my fuel mileage and don't really care about packages but I would install what is necessary to make the improvements. I understand modifications will require computer tuning and other possible changes. I do all my own work on my Camaro and C10 trucks including engine building, chassis fabrication, etc. so I plan to do my own work on the Subie as well. If this comment is not appropriate here, maybe someone could PM me or send me to the correct forum. Thanks in advance.

Archived