LegacyGT.com

405 Lbs Bench Press / 8 reps no spot

valerka

Saw this guy in one of my gym locations which I have never been too. Check this out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWqLUSVaf4c]YouTube - 405 lbs bench press 8 plates p1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbhTGqs9nhk]YouTube - 405 lbs bench press 8 plates[/ame]

Well if a rep is only about 3" of movement then sure he did them. Like mentioned above he's only cheating himself. Maybe he should back off to about 175-180 and do them right, he'd get a hell of a lot more benefit.

Three things -

Number 1 the guy is an idiot - 405lbs without at least one spotter

Number 2 those aren't close to a rep - that is the worst range of movement I've seen on a bench.

Number 3 I wish I could unrack 405 pound too.

This is one of my buddies from highschool, this is how it is done...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHjShlX2jOg]YouTube - Blaine Sumner 635 lb. Bench Press[/ame]

But he is really weak on squat :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Sn4O8dVW4]YouTube - Blaine Sumner - 905 lb. Squat - American Record[/ame]

Well if a rep is only about 3" of movement then sure he did them. Like mentioned above he's only cheating himself. Maybe he should back off to about 175-180 and do them right, he'd get a hell of a lot more benefit.

I doubt he could do full range, 8 reps at that weight even:lol:

You come across so many guys at the gym like this that will do works outs like that day after day. I kinda of scratch my head why the trainers don't step in and suggest alternatives.

I don't even mess with bench press much anymore, at least not with a free standing bar since I don't have anyone to spot me in the gym where I work out. Instead I use one of the setups with the guide rods and a rotating bar with stop hooks on it for safety. I only ever really feel motivated to do reps at a max weight range of 185-205lbs though, but when I bother to do them I do a complete range of motion until the bar is on my chest and then back up. I know I am not getting the same benefit as a free standing bar, but oh well I'd rather play it safe when I am all by my lonesome.

What's a good body weight to bench weight ratio for an average person?

It depends. Way too many variables. Are we talking 1-rep max with spotter and full range of motion? Somewhere around a minimum of 1:1 is a good place to start for a guy in moderate shape but not big/muscular... but shorter guys have it easier than tall guys both from the mechanics of the press and they weigh less.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

What's a good body weight to bench weight ratio for an average person?

I say 100lbs over body weight with time is a good goal. Im hoping to be there next chest day. I weigh 155 and want to get a 1rm of 260.

But really it all depends on how you want to lift and where you want your body to be. Im skinny and thin boned so lifting reps is pointless for me im always toned. Thats why I only do 5 sets 5 reps and just move up the weight every week on all my exercises.

I say 100lbs over body weight with time is a good goal. Im hoping to be there next chest day. I weigh 155 and want to get a 1rm of 260.

But really it all depends on how you want to lift and where you want your body to be. Im skinny and thin boned so lifting reps is pointless for me im always toned. Thats why I only do 5 sets 5 reps and just move up the weight every week on all my exercises.

Ha.. I like it. That is actually my goal for this year as it turns out. I want a 1RM of 315 (3 plates). I weigh 210 now and another goal of mine is to keep BF <15% and get to 215. Current 1RM is 290 and I only test it once a month. (BTW, for anyone who does weight training, having specific goals is important... fitness studies have shown that setting specific goals improves outcomes.)

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

First, it's dumb to do that without a spotter.

Secondly, he's trying to break his benching plateau. The top two inches or so of your bench is where doing this type of exercise can strengthen connective tissue by using a lot weight, with high reps.

You can also use achieve this with lighter weight with full range reps, but use elastic bands on the bar.

Archived