LegacyGT.com

Alarm voids warranty ??

picking up my 05 LGT LMTD 5M monday!!! quick question- the dealer said an aftermarket alarm(not installed by the dealer) will void my warranty??? im gonna do it anyway cause im sure the rest of the mods to come will void it anyway- just wondering if it was true or just a sales pitch??

Since all the electronics in the car go through the BIU, and the factory alarm is intergrated into the BIU, chances are any splicing into the factory harnesses can affect the warranty should you have a problem with something electronic.

Alarms are a waste anyway...they are just a deterent, if someone wants your car it'll be gone. Just keep it insured.

not sure about NY, but in VA we get 5-10% discount for the alarm :rolleyes: . Silly, because it doesn't matter if it's the cheap factory add-on or a full-tilt-boogie Alpine or Clifford system. I have two Alpine's sitting in the garage....no point to install them.

i know- im mainly interested in the remote start and the insurance discount than the actual alarm....lol

I'd rate remote start as a pretty bad idea on a 5MT. It's going to have to have something to override the clutch interlock... meaning you could conceivably start it in gear when you're NOT IN THE CAR. :eek: oops!

The upgraded Subaru alarm + the immobilizer should qualify you for the insurance discount without going aftermarket. I get an alarm discount from State Farm in TX.

DKB

I'd rate remote start as a pretty bad idea on a 5MT. It's going to have to have something to override the clutch interlock... meaning you could conceivably start it in gear when you're NOT IN THE CAR. :eek: oops!

The upgraded Subaru alarm + the immobilizer should qualify you for the insurance discount without going aftermarket. I get an alarm discount from State Farm in TX.

DKB

I have to respectfully disagree. I have been in the car audio/ security industry for 9 years now and I have a full-blown Compustar alarm and starter in my 5MT car and when professionally installed, it is essentially fail-safe. There is a quick, three-step set up needing to be done in order to even put the car into start mode for the next time. This involves, having the car in neutral, e-brake fully engaged. If the Compustar doesn't sense these things in place, it will not let you start the car via remote. I only recommend the job done by a very reputable dealer with lots of experience and certification. Canada is car-starter heaven and every year, without fail, another industry tale gets created about a manual car hopping down the road, almost killing a pack of school kids because the install was botched, and it had no safety features in place.

I do agree that alarm systems are just a deterrent, it is an immobilizer that really keeps your car in your driveway. Thankfully most nice cars nowadays like the GT have them as a OE feature.

I believe having a expensive sooped up alarm to be a waste of money from a law enforcement standpoint. All you need essentially is a lowjack. Takes a load off your insurance depending where you live. You have insurance, if its stolen, and you have lowjack you're practically good to go for getting a new car bought for you. All an alarm does is annoy people, I have never once ever had a car alarm prevent a car being stolen. Each person has diff. results, maybe an alarm works for you, but it just isn't worth it from my standpoint. The factory one that came w/ it along w/ lowjack is good to go.

Archived