LegacyGT.com

Babybalugas build thread 

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phase 2 ej22 I would say 5psi is the max, the pistons BLOW!!!! The rings are TINY.

Phase 1 ej22 pistons are alot better, but it has a few lower quality parts (water pump... etc)

I think its the pistons that are the weak point, not the actual block.

Sorry for bringing this up from the dead but stumbled across a link in one of your youtube vids. I know of someone that used a phase 2 block with ej25D heads powered by a 18g turbo and boosting somewhat high around 16-20 psi. I say that because he beat the shyt out of it for a good year with no piston failure until he changed his set up with a complete 05 sti conversion. Also another member on nasioc and rs25 has a boosted phase 2 td04 boosting 12 psi with meth and he has been running that since 06' and still on the road.

Don't know if you could put a ceiling for stock phase 2 ej22e blocks when it comes to boosting. Examples mentioned and seeing it in person makes me believe it's all about how the owner drives and maintains his setup. Although extreme builds, ie 350hp+, calls for stronger internals I don't see why a builder couldn't boost above 5psi without piston failure.

It all comes down to tuning in my opinion. Phase 2 pistons have tiny/thin skirts and obviously aren't forged. With meth you would have a shitty tune safeguard. susiemk has done it for a long time.

I think the general consensus is that they can reliably handle 8psi. I think it's more like 10 though.

Archived