LegacyGT.com

"CRUISE" flashing

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Subaru's back in business. He rebuilt oil pump also, old one was badly grooved. There were lots of metal shavings. Also replaced oil cooler as original one was crudded with metal shavings and he tried flushing it out at work but still had metal in it. Intercooler also had metal shavings in it, which radiator shop flushed out.

What kind of moron designs heads with no cam bearings.

Americans don't like to change oil in their engines, that's a proven fact. Head that depends on oil for cam to ride on is idiotic!

turbo was replaced at some point. He actually found impeller chunk in one of the cats

it's just too bad I didn't find this guy before as previous "mechanic" is just a shady average "take off-put on" type of mechanic who shouldn't be a mechanic in first place. This guy actually knows subarus

WTF are you talking about?

uh just how the cams ride directly on aluminum of the head, witch is fine but if any metal shards get there by flowing through the oilfilter bypass ( that i want people to block ) will screw them up and the heads need to be re line bored to fix.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

uh just how the cams ride directly on aluminum of the head, witch is fine but if any metal shards get there by flowing through the oilfilter bypass ( that i want people to block ) will screw them up and the heads need to be re line bored to fix.

I don't think you can fix heads in most cases. I have some that you can have if you can fix them

Subaru's back in business. He rebuilt oil pump also, old one was badly grooved. There were lots of metal shavings. Also replaced oil cooler as original one was crudded with metal shavings and he tried flushing it out at work but still had metal in it. Intercooler also had metal shavings in it, which radiator shop flushed out.

What kind of moron designs heads with no cam bearings.

Americans don't like to change oil in their engines, that's a proven fact. Head that depends on oil for cam to ride on is idiotic!

Heads with no bearings is pretty much standard when you have aluminum heads. Cast iron engines have bearings, so maybe it's just to go back to old cast iron engines then.

As for the oil filter - the bypass valve in the filter is there to avoid the filter getting blown, which will happen if there's no bypass valve. And the thing is rather that the filter is so small these days that it needs the bypass valve more often than necessary.

It also depends on which filter manufacturer you get the filter from, but that's a jungle that can be beaten to death by itself. However I have found out that there is a possible alternate filter that can be used. I did get a replacement filter for my old car once, and that was a Mahle filter (German manufacturer) with the designation "OC 195" and I did do some research and found that there is an alternative filter "OC 196" that could be possible as an alternative. It's about 20mm longer, but has otherwise the same mechanical characteristics. What I don't know is how much larger the filter area is, but you don't build a larger casing just because you think it looks good when it comes to oil filters.

And 20mm more length wouldn't make any difference when it comes to space constraints. It will build down a bit more, but it won't be the lowest part of the engine anyway.

OC195

http://www.bedug.com/pics/OC195.jpg

OC196

http://www.bedug.com/pics/OC196.jpg

Of course - there are other alternative filters too, but they do divert more from the original filter's measurements. However I would like to see some test made with possible alternatives and a measurement of pressure loss over the filter for cold oil for various filters on the engines.

And for a tuned engine or engine driven hard - larger filter area is better.

For those that feels like digging deeper into this you can always go over to the Mahle site and dig further:

http://217.6.60.45/mahle/_action/Controller.jsp?folder=mahleFilter

Remember, the thread on which the filter is mounted must always be M20x1.5 and the seal must be around 62.9 mm (it may vary maybe +/- 1mm from it, and depends on the contact area on the engine block)

453747.png

Archived