• 1 month later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got car back last night. Runs great.

New timing belt

Rebuilt heads

All new gaskets, spark plugs, oil/filter

HOWEVER car STILL has CEL with P0021 and P0011 codes!!!! I'm just so pissed now, spent so much time and money on it and still has CEL.

Btw I installed new OCV valves from Fredbeans

Stupid question: Did you clear the codes?

And then - did you check any filter related to the oil feed for the camshaft timing? There shall be banjo bolt filters for them too, and if you get the problem the turbo banjo filter needs check too.

Another step is to check the oil pressure - maybe the oil pump is weak or going. Or there is an oil leak in a strange location. Even a bad oil pickup tube. Or a blown bearing somewhere. Not all stuff that happens in an engine gives a definitive noise right away.

I can think of a massive amount of reasons to why you get the codes, and installing an oil pressure gauge would at least help to reveal if you have a general oil pressure problem.

453747.png

No, Those are cam codes. Who did the timing job? I would make sure the cams are in the correct positions, as that is one thing that would cause both codes. I've never seen both sensors go out at once. That's where I would start.

No, Those are cam codes. Who did the timing job? I would make sure the cams are in the correct positions, as that is one thing that would cause both codes. I've never seen both sensors go out at once. That's where I would start.

Mechanic that I know did the job. He has shop at home and does side jobs after work.

also have P0459 code

That's the purge valve for the gas tank evaporation.

Just for the sake of it - check your battery voltage, since if that's too low you get all kinds of strange things happening. A bad battery is the root of all evil.

453747.png

That's the purge valve for the gas tank evaporation.

Just for the sake of it - check your battery voltage, since if that's too low you get all kinds of strange things happening. A bad battery is the root of all evil.

What the reading should be at?

Old heads were so worn that you could take cams and they would move on the head, I bought heads from member on this site, had them checked by head machine shop, milled, new gaskets all way around. Car runs great now and everything works as it should except for damn CEL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • I Donated
This sounds like a sucky situation... but of course, it's one of the reasons you need to check any red flags on the car (like a CEL) before you buy. If my car had had all those codes when it was sitting on the dealer lot, I would have run away as fast as I could.

• 1 month later...
Subarus are so cheap, they are no better than domestic cars

Come on. Your mechanic himself said the "idiot" previous owner had the timing belt on wrong, obviously your car was beat on by the previous owner if the engine just started knocking as well. It's not Subaru's fault at all.

Come on. Your mechanic himself said the "idiot" previous owner had the timing belt on wrong, obviously your car was beat on by the previous owner if the engine just started knocking as well. It's not Subaru's fault at all.

Only fault by Subaru there was that they built an engine with a timing belt.

453747.png

Archived