LegacyGT.com

"CRUISE" flashing

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have a general question/idea for people; is it possible that something fried in the ECU on this vehicle?

P0459: Canister Purge Control Solenoid Valve Circuit High (Could be a bad solenoid)

P0102 Mass air flow sensor circuit low input

P0103 Mass air flow sensor circuit high input

P0031 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0108 Manifold Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction (High Input)

P0245 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Low

P2016 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low (Bank 1)

P2021 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor / Switch Circuit Low (Bank 2)

What were the circumstances leading up to your CEL and cruise lights coming on?

FWIW, if you have the MAF sensor unplugged and the key is in the "on" position (even without having the car running) you'll throw some exciting codes. Point being, all of these codes are basically the PCM complaining about various inputs being out of acceptable range. This does not necessarily mean that all of the sensors listed are failing; it simply means the PCM is expecting inputs within certain parameters and not getting them.

If you have some shady wiring harness connectors, corrosion, chafing wires, etc., that could explain away all of these codes. I am extremely skeptical, however, that all of these codes appeared simultaneously. More details, please.

If you bought the car like this and haven't done anything other than an oil change, clear the codes. Drive it and see which ones (if any) reappear. That will at least give you a clean look at what is really (currently) happening with the car.

Oil changed, cleared codes. Went for a drive, no CEL so far. Although car is still shuddering at idle/stop.

It's been a long day but let me give this a quick once-over with regards to rough idle/stumbling:

P0459: Canister Purge Control Solenoid Valve Circuit High: should not affect driveability. May set CEL if there is a problem with the solenoid or wiring for it.

P0102 Mass air flow sensor circuit low input: will definitely affect idle if there is any problem with the MAF signal

P0103 Mass air flow sensor circuit high input: ditto as above

P0031 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1): no driveability concerns. Will set CEL if there is a wiring problem or if the o2 sensor has failed/is failing.

P0108 Manifold Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction (High Input): any input to this sensor above 4.9V may/will result in fuel cut :spin:, which could explain a rough idle. Have you noticed a lack of power at higher RPMs?

P0245 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Low: no driveability concerns at idle. Could be a wiring problem or a bad solenoid.

P2016 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low (Bank 1): no idea and I'm not going to muddy the water further by guessing at it.

P2021 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor / Switch Circuit Low (Bank 2): ditto as above.

I realize this may not be much help. I'll give it a harder look tomorrow. I still keep coming back to my original hunch which is that you may have some major wiring problems. Do yourself a favor and make sure that the MAF sensor is at least properly plugged in, although a problem there should have thrown a code as soon as you started the car after clearing the DTCs...

I had this couple weeks ago due to my Perrin air filter clogged up, I cleaned the MAF, change to a paper filter, disconnect the battery

no more CEL + BLINKING CRUISE

Hasnt come back since:)

I made the autozone guy went outside and read the code in 4 degree temp :)

I forgot to re connect the MAF sensor one time and the cruise light flashed and it popped a cel. I cleared the codes and then no problems. Clear the codes and start from scratch. See what happens next. Check the code if it poppes a cel.

Nevermind on MAF. I went for a drive today (cleaned OCV's, changed oil, cleaned MAF) and as soon as it warmed up CEL went back on, along with Cruise flashing.

Came home and scanned it.

P0011 and P0021 came back on and then P0128 and P0459 (pending, whatever that means)

P0011 and P0021 are codes for intake cams over-advanced (both cams). P0128 is saying that your coolant temperature is below the thermostat regulating temperature. The P0459 is indicating that your evap canister purge valve solenoid likely needs to be replaced; I'm not sure if that is available independently of the canister.

The first two codes are concerning. How many miles on the car and/or when is the last time the timing belt was done? Any time you have a chance of incorrect timing you need to be very careful (obviously).

94000 on car. Not sure when timing belt was done. I was thinking about replacing OCV valves. I can have mechanic change belt/water pump for me. There seems to be oil leak from behind timing belt cover.

I found canister purge solenoid online, not sure where it's located on the car

If there's only 94K on the car, chances are timing belt may not have been replaced. Subaru recommend changing it at 105K. So you are still a few thousand away. I would still be easy on it as it doesn't mean the timing belt is in great condition.

You bought this car used? Do you know the history of it? If the car has been ragged out, you could be in for a lot of problems down the road.

I can have mechanic change belt/water pump for me. There seems to be oil leak from behind timing belt cover.

If you're seeing oil coming from behind the cover, you have cam and/or crank seals leaking. If/when you have someone do the timing belt job for you, (and if you plan on keeping the car,) don't cheap out on it -- get a new belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, thermostat, crank seal and cam seals.

Over-advance cams is a tricky one, and what comes to mind is also "CHECK THE BANJO BOLT". This since the oil feed is the same for the cam advance and the turbo.

However the over-advance can be due to low temp and high viscosity of the oil. What oil viscosity do you use?

The pending codes are codes for temporary conditions that may go away and at low temps it's possible that the evap valve just froze or stuck because it was too cold. If you don't get any CEL it's not a permanent problem.

453747.png

Archived