LegacyGT.com

2.2 in Outback, swap?

i cant decide whether i want to take the motor from the 96 Impreza and put it in the outback, have the outback on the road and the impreza sittin till i find a motor for it, or whether i should just drive the impreza like it is and fix the outback later. The impreza like it is has a bad power steering leak, bad enough that there are puddles on top of the motor and it also needs a valve cover gasket on the drivers side, also i'm not sure if that tranny fix is gonna hold up in the long run, whereas my outback never had torque bind. The Impreza has no bad cv axles, and some cv axles have been replaced, whereas the outback needs front drivers side CV axle. The Outback has a nicer interior. The outback doesn't handle corners as well as the Impreza does, but i'm pretty sure it wont have as bumpy a ride as the Impreza. the Impreza will get a little better gas mileage than the outback, even if put the 2.2 in the outback. The Impreza's key is so worn it wont unlock or lock the doors or trunk, and i can pull it out of the ignition at any time. The outbacks key works and all doors can be locked and unlocked. Both cars have power door locks. The Outback has power windows, the Impreza has manual windows. The impreza has 2 bad catalytic converters. The outback has a bulging rear window that allows water to get inside when i'm washing the car, the impreza is sealed tight. The AC doesnt work in either car but the heat works in both. The outbacks door is screwed up badly and it needs a front fender, a bumper cover, and both fog lights, as well as a passenger side headlight. The impreza has a better body than the outback. I cant decide what to do. If i sold the Impreza to fix the outback, i Wouldn't be able to find a motor again, not for cheap. the Impreza was the only Subaru i found within 100 miles of where i live that had a good motor. I even posted several ads on craigslist saying a needed a Subaru motor, and got 1 call after a month, which was about that 07 motor. There are no cheap cars around here because there is 3 or 4 guys who go on craigslist and get every single car $600 or less, no matter what condition, and they scrap them. One of them i know gets 25+ cars per week. So all the subarus, hondas, toyotas, or anything else, that i could have used parts from, are sitting in junkyards flat as a pancake. So i figure it would be best to just use the 2.2 from the impreza in the outback, and i like the 2.2 better anyways, easier to change plugs and plug wires, non interference, built better than the 2.5.

Im leading toward putting the 2.2 in my outback.

Questions:

Will the CV axles from the impreza fit in my outback?

I do have to disconnect the knuckle/spindle to replace the CV axle, correct?

I'd gut the Impreza of it's 22E & it would go into the Outback. Yes, this would mean a loss of power but the Outback is a much nicer car than a base or Outback Impreza is.

It's also much bigger & more practical.

Besides, using the 22E leaves room for good modification later.

Don't worry about your ECU when mating the 22E with it. It will compensate.

Just a lurker's .2 cents.

I'd gut the Impreza of it's 22E & it would go into the Outback. Yes, this would mean a loss of power but the Outback is a much nicer car than a base or Outback Impreza is.

It's also much bigger & more practical.

Besides, using the 22E leaves room for good modification later.

Don't worry about your ECU when mating the 22E with it. It will compensate.

Just a lurker's .2 cents.

Thanks this is exactly what I have decided to do. Thanks for you .2 cents. Aha

while i have the 2.2 motor out, i plan to replace the cam seals and front crank seal as well as the oil pump o ring. I noticed on the SOHC there is a cap that removes and the cam seal sits in this cap. I noticed there is an o ring on the back of this cap, i need to know the proper way to install cam seals, without pushing them in too far or not enough. Same with front crank seal. And the proper way to reseal the oil pump when i replace the little o ring.

haha exactly why I threw it up there...we can both benefit from it :p

Either way, I'm tearing down my 2.2 sometime in may or june to prep it for a roadtrip, so I want to go balls to the wall with it. Hopefully I can keep my little legacy around for a few more years :) have you started any work with rebuilding your 2.2?

there's good info w/ pics on the oiul pump at beergarage.com i think. (or something like that.) links have been posted several times over on ultimatesubaru.org. i would google ''beergarage oil pump'' and see what you get.

if draws a blank search a ultimatesubaru.

i dont remember seeing one for the cam seals.

the driver side cam seal could be set too deep. at least the housing is deeper than the seal. but i just set it the same depth as it was before removal. the cam caps, only on the ej22, have o rings and need to be replaced. the crank seal is a no brainer.

as for removal, i would suggest any competent shop manual for a procedure. it won't be specific, but it will / might have a picture. asking how to remove a seal is a little like asking how to bolt on a tire. if you haven't ever done it or seen it you may have questions but once you do it , well duh! just take your time and be careful and stay off the shaft.

the primary concern is to NOT scratch, nick, mark, or score the shaft you are sealing. there is a seal puller tool you can buy for <10$ (harbor freight) which may make it easier and safer. preventing an oil leak on the housing side of the seal is easy. preventing an oil leak on the rotating shaft side is the real challenge.

• 1 month later...
So any reason the imprezas torque converter is quite a bit smaller than the outback torque converter? Higher stall? What's the deal?

Different size & different weights between both cars contribute to this. An Outback is a few hundred pounds heavier than an Impreza easily. More power is required to move more mass. The converter is larger in the Outback because it's required to transfer enough power/rotation to move a heavier car.

• 2 weeks later...
Finished the swap. Not a seal in the motor leaking. But i put all new 5w 30 and an oil filter and now the motor knocks bad. My dad listened to the knock and said its bottom end for sure so the guy must have been running a super thick oil to keep it from knocking. Just my luck

did this engine knock before the swap? it was in a car you drove, wasn't it.? it should be ok.

if it is a 95 or 96 it has HLAs and it may take a while to pump them up. let it idle.

and if it does quiet down, put some 10w 30 in it. that is spec for an ej22.

my last swap was so loud i though it had a bad rod bearing and so smokey i thought it had bad valve seals. but now it runs great. let it run. at this point you have nothing to lose, let it idle all day. it MAY quiet down.

Yea it was in the impreza I drove around the yard but never drove it long. And I never changed the oil when it was still in the impreza so it had whatever crap the previous owner put in it. It doesn't smoke or anything and the knock gets louder once the motor has warmed up. The knock also gets louder when the motor is decelerating, when it gets between about 1500 rpm and 600.

just tried adding a quart of lucas oil stabilizer to thicken up the oil but that didn't help. Guess ill try 15w 40 or 20w 50. whatever oil the previous owner put in it kept it perfectly quiet and it purred like a kitten. id'e like to find out what he used.

EDIT: my dad believes the sound to be wrist pin wear. any ideas?

Archived