LegacyGT.com

5EAT in 2wd problem...........

AWDPete

This is really weird: I have '05 Outback Turbo with a 5EAT with 44,000 miles - all bone stock :eek: The other day I noticed the trans shifting all weird, hard into second then I'm getting wheel spin from the front - no rear drive! So on my way home it gets more weird, at 55mph the revs shoot up. It acts like a slipping clutch in a manual trans car. No dash lights have come on, fluid level is correct, WTF is going on!?

Anybody had this happen on a "non-modded" 5EAT? I know I have some mice in the garage and I just took there food source away (no i'm not feeding them - not on purpose anyway!). I found some evidence of them being under the hood, could the little ba$tards have chewed some wires on me? It's the only thing I can think of......

It is very possible the mice caused a problem. They love to eat the wire insulation.

Reminds me of the guy that posted he bought a $12 hamster, left it in the car a little while and came back and it caused $1800 worth of electrical damaged

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I crawled around under the car and found..............nothing, everything under the hood looked OK too. I reset the ECU but it's still doing the same $hit - grrrrr

I guess next step is to start pulling the dash apart - I know the little ba$tards got inside.

Am I missing something? The car hasn't been to the dealer since I've owned it - did I miss a recall or service bulletin? I'm still puzzled that no dash warning lights have come on?

No problem duplicating it - it's stuck that way! I'm not certain what's "slipping" the clutches or the converter so I don't think it's wise to drive it to the stealership. And I just let my AAA membership lapse........being unemployed sucks!

• Mega Users

I posted this on SOB.org as well...I think it may be a failsafe mode from wheel speed sensors. This is just a hunch as I can't seem to find info on what happens if multiple speed sensors die. The slippage could be due to the TCU preventing TC lockup and the FWD feeling might just be the transfer clutch being disabled by the TCU. It seems to me that 2 failed speed sensors would disable the TCU's ability to see a difference in wheel speed front to back. If the sensors have failed, then they have to be replaced anyway. You might as well replace them and see if it fixes the problem. They are usually very easy to replace, but I haven't done any on a Subaru.

Maybe those are the wires that got chewed.

It's worth a shot - I will take a look.

I reset the ECU and took it for a drive: the problem is still there and no new codes.

I believe the those ABS codes I have are from a couple of years back when I got her stuck in the snow - a trip to the carwash cleared it up.

So I pulled the rear wheel off (the one that threw the sensor code) to take a look at the sensor but I was unable to get the rotor off - grrr! I looked at the sensor wire and it looked fine so I tried to unbolt the sensor but it felt like the bolt might snap so I left it alone - more grrr!! Took it for a drive and let it get good and warm, went down a pretty steep/windy road in Sport mode: no engine braking at all but the Sport light started flashing so I pulled over and checked the codes: now all I get is the co106? When I took off the Sport light was no longer flashing. Stupid Subie.

You won't get reliable code reads from the TCU without the Subaru Select tool. I learned this myself when the rear speed sensor went out on me, all code readers were reporting ABS codes and only the SSM at the dealer was able to correctly read the code.

So I pulled the rear wheel off (the one that threw the sensor code) to take a look at the sensor but I was unable to get the rotor off - grrr!

Silly question but...was the parking brake on? My friend and I had a brain fart years ago when we couldn't get a rear rotor off, only to remember the drum parking brake.

Well I took the car to a friend who has a local shop, he had it for two days and two nights trying to figure it out. He says the car seems to work fine and asks me to come drive it. We take the car for a drive and all is fine! I ask him what he did and he tells me 'nothing' other then check it with his Napa scan tool which revealed no codes.

My best guess is....I have no idea! Other then sitting in his heated shop overnight.

I still need to change the trans fluid, can anyone suggest a source for it?

Thanks everyone for your help :-)

Archived