LegacyGT.com

I should kick myself in the nuts!!

So today i decided to do my timing belt on my 90. Not so much because im worried about it breaking because it looked ok and our engines are non-interference but I need to do my sister's 00 outback and the procedure is pretty much the same and this was my first timing belt.

Anyway everything went well and i got done, went to start it up and ran like ____! Narrowed it down to the entire left bank. I ended up taking off the belt and aligning everything up 3 more times when I realized that I pulled the spark plug wires so it didn't fire while i was trying to get everything to TDC and replaced them backwards... Such a rookie mistake!!!

I should kick myself in the nuts

Runs like it did before and i feel confident in my ability to do my sisters outback

on another interesting note I went to take off the crank pulley and i reached down to test fit a socket and ended up being able to take off the crank pulley bolt with just the socket in my hand, that could have been exciting!

So today i decided to do my timing belt on my 90. Not so much because im worried about it breaking because it looked ok and our engines are non-interference but I need to do my sister's 00 outback and the procedure is pretty much the same and this was my first timing belt.

Anyway everything went well and i got done, went to start it up and ran like ____! Narrowed it down to the entire left bank. I ended up taking off the belt and aligning everything up 3 more times when I realized that I pulled the spark plug wires so it didn't fire while i was trying to get everything to TDC and replaced them backwards... Such a rookie mistake!!!

I should kick myself in the nuts

Runs like it did before and i feel confident in my ability to do my sisters outback

on another interesting note I went to take off the crank pulley and i reached down to test fit a socket and ended up being able to take off the crank pulley bolt with just the socket in my hand, that could have been exciting!

I LOL'd for real that time. That's too funny. :lol:

• 9 months later...
I'm resurrecting this post because it reminded me of a similar situation. My crank pulley bolt backed out and the pulley fell off while running. I discovered the situation when the alternator stopped functioning due to the belt having come loose from the dysfunctional drive pulley. No harm done beyond a wear mark on the timing case cover.

Did you look at the crank key? It's a woodruff, half moon shaped thing in the crank. You have to remove the crank pulley and the gear to see it. If the inside of your crank pulley is messed up where the key is I would definitely recommend replacing both of those parts. Also, check the crank timing gear is what I always called it. If it's messed up replace that too or it will just back off again.

him talking about his crank pully made me think about mine not being tight like im talking finger tight so long story short key that Legacy Wagon is talking about was the size of a little pebble the key way on the pully was about double or even triple in size.

the only way i found that out is because i had to take my car to the shop cause of stupid coolant line to my turbo broke and had to get that fixed shop let it idle with hood open to see if any leaks were to come out then they say the wabble in the pully no fun knowing your crank bearings will need to be replaced or needing to re-build the whole motor lol

Archived