LegacyGT.com

how do you guys do it..

Truth be told, if I had stock wheels and tires, I'd be driving mine too. But, this car has summer tires and they are 20mm wider than stock, so I'm a little spooked about driving it during the first snow of the year.

In the first 4 hours of snow coming down, they were reporting about 100 wrecks an hour. I live in a town full of no-driving skill idiots. I watched a Ford Explorer speed down a ramp onto highway that only had clear tire lanes (snow ridges in between), spin across 3 lanes of traffic, then bounce off the left side retaining wall 3-4 times.

2 days into this and I think I'm going to try the Spec B on some side streets and see what it does. I think all the idiots are done crashing and people have adjusted to driving in the snow.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ if you have summer tires, I'd just leave it garaged until spring. It's going to get terrible traction, period. And you won't be able to stop at all on icy/snowy roads. Don't use a summer tire drive on snow as a guage for your cars winter readiness. Lots of info and threads on here about need for all season or snow tires in winter (not going to debate the two on this thread)

However when summer comes around, take it out on a rainy day really put that AWD to the test, and don't worry about a little ding or nick from some leftover cinders :lol:

I used to be OCD about my car and still get that way when I detail it sometimes but lately I have just learned to ignore all the little imperfections. My car is a daily driver and you just have to put things into perspective. I put so few miles on our car that I am not that concerned about the scratches, dings, and dents devaluing it as it will be worth thousands more than any comperable car at trade in, regardless of the minor condition issues.

We spend too much time and money trying to impress people we don't even know.

I used to be very anal with my vehicles. Any spot, scratch, dent, ding, etc would really bother me. Now I've realized there's nothing you can do, except get worked up and frustrated for nothing. Sure things still bother me when they happen, but I've realized there's absolutely no way to avoid it.

Being in Maine for these past few winters has made me realize what kind of abuse these cars get put through.

Like vr4Legacy said, don't even try. Summer tires are called summer tires for a reason...

Truth be told, if I had stock wheels and tires, I'd be driving mine too. But, this car has summer tires and they are 20mm wider than stock, so I'm a little spooked about driving it during the first snow of the year.

In the first 4 hours of snow coming down, they were reporting about 100 wrecks an hour. I live in a town full of no-driving skill idiots. I watched a Ford Explorer speed down a ramp onto highway that only had clear tire lanes (snow ridges in between), spin across 3 lanes of traffic, then bounce off the left side retaining wall 3-4 times.

2 days into this and I think I'm going to try the Spec B on some side streets and see what it does. I think all the idiots are done crashing and people have adjusted to driving in the snow.

DO NOT drive your summer tire equipped vehicle in the snow or very cold temperatures. You will have zero traction. If you don't crash and hurt your car/yourself, you may injure or damage some other person's property.

dam home internet wasnt working

I'll have to remember that one :lol:

As for worrying about the chips, I beleive RAO has some good pointers on how to avoid them :rolleyes: here is some wise advice from him (I hope he doesn't mind me referencing him)

not a Ferrari

ive read this already RAO is a little koo koo about his LGT:lol:

DO NOT drive your summer tire equipped vehicle in the snow or very cold temperatures. You will have zero traction. If you don't crash and hurt your car/yourself, you may injure or damage some other person's property.

i was behind a mustang that was going fast and tailgating a suv in front of him. i thought he was pulling over but instead he lost control of this car and hit a pile of snow on the side. :lol::lol:

i go to a car wash cuz my apt doesnt allow us to wash our cars unless its raining:) (free water)

well i guess ill be enjoying my subie next time i go snow boarding..

Nope. We just don't care about folks that worry about every little thing. It's a CAR. Not an expensive painting. Not a classic car meticulously restored. It's just a device to get around in that happens to let us have fun at the same time.

The OP just needs a bit of perspectivel.

Nope. We just don't care about folks that worry about every little thing. It's a CAR. Not an expensive painting. Not a classic car meticulously restored. It's just a device to get around in that happens to let us have fun at the same time.

The OP just needs a bit of perspectivel.

That is the best way to put everything with every car. If I were going to be a nutcase about my paint I would have gotten a porsche. I didn't want to worry I wanted to let loose and have fun.

I regularly do the underbody wash in the winter so that it doesn't totally rust out early and break the suspension. Already I can't remove my endlinks easily because the bolts are rusted.

As for rock chips? I'm glad we have an aluminum hood, no rust! So yeah, I'm somewhere in between. I want to take good enough care of the car that I can keep using it for several more years, but it's not as much a concern about cosmetics. In New England, all cars eventually meet the same demise if they venture out on the road in winter.

Its a subaru and you obviously bought it for a reason right? Throw some dedicated winters on your car and learn to drive it on slippery surfaces and know how your car handles and how you react to "OH SH*T" moments. If you live in a city full of people who don't know how to drive in the snow like I do, you'll be all the more glad you have the proper shoes on your car and the know how to get around.

And if you don't want that spec b, I'll gladly come take it off your hands lol.

Its a subaru and you obviously bought it for a reason right? Throw some dedicated winters on your car and learn to drive it on slippery surfaces and know how your car handles and how you react to "OH SH*T" moments. If you live in a city full of people who don't know how to drive in the snow like I do, you'll be all the more glad you have the proper shoes on your car and the know how to get around.

And if you don't want that spec b, I'll gladly come take it off your hands lol.

no no im will enjoy my car:lol:. when i get some rims slapped on to my car im thinking of getting some winter tires on my stock wheels.

Wow, just skimmed over Rao's post. That's just plain crazy. Don't mean to offend him or anyone else on this forum but its a Legacy. Its not a Ferrari or Lambo. I bought this car as my beater/winter car.

No offense taken, but for some of us (me) it was the best car we could afford. I understand if its your beater/winter car you don't feel the same compulsion to keep it spotless, but for me it drives me nuts when it's dirty.

I'm really proud of my Legacy, and am looking forward to keeping it for a long time after it's paid off.

No offense taken, but for some of us (me) it was the best car we could afford. I understand if its your beater/winter car you don't feel the same compulsion to keep it spotless, but for me it drives me nuts when it's dirty.

I'm really proud of my Legacy, and am looking forward to keeping it for a long time after it's paid off.

yes thats how i feel too cuz this car isnt cheap and im working for it.

on the other hand when i had my first car a civic ex i babied it like crazy and one day a lady decided to run a red light and my whole front went out. i have low miles kept it clean and everything. i just wished i would of drove it more. thats why i try not to baby my cars any more but do want to keep them clean long as possible.

I see what you guys mean. The LGT is definitely not a cheap car but I considered it affordable (especially cause I bought mine 2nd hand) and may perhaps be the fastest, most reliable AWD car that seats 4 easily. I too love keeping my cars clean and taking care till they die but I was shocked when RAO posted that he put his car on jack stands. I was thinking to myself... does he do that every night?!? I would simply be way too lazy.

yes thats how i feel too cuz this car isnt cheap and im working for it.

on the other hand when i had my first car a civic ex i babied it like crazy and one day a lady decided to run a red light and my whole front went out. i have low miles kept it clean and everything. i just wished i would of drove it more. thats why i try not to baby my cars any more but do want to keep them clean long as possible.

You really need to get over it. It's just a Subaru. Drive it, wash it every now and then, have fun with it. It's one of the few cars that gives you good bang for your buck.

If you saw all the chips in mine you would feel lucky. The front of my black car looks gray. Also the front of the rear wheel wells. Not to mention again the missing paint on the right front corner for of 5 years now. Someone took the paint off the corner of the bumper in the parking lot at a Ski Resort. Last summer I noticed someone else added some blue paint to the same corner.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I see what you guys mean. The LGT is definitely not a cheap car but I considered it affordable (especially cause I bought mine 2nd hand) and may perhaps be the fastest, most reliable AWD car that seats 4 easily. I too love keeping my cars clean and taking care till they die but I was shocked when RAO posted that he put his car on jack stands. I was thinking to myself... does he do that every night?!? I would simply be way too lazy.

I didn't see RAO's post. This does sound pretty over the top....but I like his style.

Archived