LegacyGT.com

Subie Boxer Rumble?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel your pain! I just had to put a couple upgrades on hold to do the headgaskets on my wife's scooby

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

1 Headgasket in november and then the rear main and the opposite HG couple weeks ago.

It was a tough decision but I chose to have a car that runs rather than one than sounds sexy but doesn't run :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
so i have an 05 2.5i so this means that i can buy a borla uel header and it will bolt stright up since the 05's have a stock uel manifold?

You have to check your current exhaust setup. If you have one header, then you are good. if you have two headers and midpipes than its a bit more difficult.

There are pictures in the stickies, if you go back far enough

i have a stock gt manifold just sitting in my basment, I bought it off shtbxr over a year ago.. im debating weather or not to hack it up and make it work.. or or just sell it again. If I do plan to sell it ill let yall know cause i know some one will be interested on here..

• 1 month later...

Hey GEE-OTTO,

on your WRX header setup, what about your first cats o2 sensors? Didn't get any CEL?

Have you just mate the mid pipe to the manifold?

That is actually the setup I plan to and still questioning on how to do it...

I totally agree that the uel brings out the rumble and not trying to create a debate at all... but I believe the uel to just bring it out more more rumble because My buddy has a 2.5i with a cat back and it rumbles nicely without UEL's. And in no way does it sound like a honda as others have eluded to... just personal opinion though.

Hey GEE-OTTO,

on your WRX header setup, what about your first cats o2 sensors? Didn't get any CEL?

Have you just mate the mid pipe to the manifold?

That is actually the setup I plan to and still questioning on how to do it...

First sensor the (AFR sensor orange wire)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/ge_hdr4.jpg

I took the "first" sensor and put it in the area just upstream of the flange.

I totally agree that the uel brings out the rumble and not trying to create a debate at all... but I believe the uel to just bring it out more more rumble because My buddy has a 2.5i with a cat back and it rumbles nicely without UEL's. And in no way does it sound like a honda as others have eluded to... just personal opinion though.

The stock manifold mated to a CBE isnt terrible by any means several owners have axleback setups that sound great

I am planning to install a Megan Header on my 08 2.5i. Heres the header:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-HEADER-05-09-SUBARU-LEGACY-GT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSubaruQ7cModelQ3aLegacyQQhashZitem256549d164QQitemZ160613126500QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I have two questions:

1. Can someone please tell me if this is an UEL header? I dont think they posted what type of heaader it is.

2. Would the check engine light come on after I get it installed?

^^^

If you buy the eBay header, you MIGHT have to cut it like i cut mine to fit your engine, THEN get a simple pipe bent to mate it to the stock catback and here is why :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/NismoGirl/subaru/before.jpg

This is how the Borla Header (eBay header) looks when bolted on the car before any changes. You see that the stock mid-pipe will not work. So what you do to make them work is remove the stock mid-pipe and have them make a pipe that connects the header flange (The end of the header ) to the stock cat-back exhaust like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/NismoGirl/subaru/4.jpg

You can leave the stock system on or get an aftermarket system as they will all bolt up no problem :)

I'm prolly gonna have a shop do the same setup as you have here. Would I hear the rumble even without taking out the catalytic converter and the stock exhaust? And what I really wanna know is if I do this setup, would the check engine light turn on?

First we (you :lol:) need to start at square 1. That setup will throw CELs and isn't exactly bolt on. I had that setup but switch to what was my current setup ( my car got rear ended this wknd :() Are you going with that setup or the LGT stock manifold setup?

Once you choose then you should look at the supporting parts. I personally would NOT got this route as you have to modify a lot to make it work well.

• 1 year later...

Archived