LegacyGT.com

Help me understand why Subarus are so slow on a road course

"Hi, I am interested in a manual 2011 Mustang. I really like fast cars and my friends have told me that the 2011's are very fast. I have a subaru, paid off, and ready to trade in, if I can find the right car.

Thank you,

-Marshall"

I am going to bring the HD camera. :lol:

lol

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that the craziest part about that article was the V6 Mustang's time. It ran for 15 seconds of the 3 minutes against it's 114 MPH speed limiter.

1) I have to imagine it would have posted a REALLY close time to the Mustang GT without the limiter.

2) WHAT THE HELL kind of "performance car" has a 114 MPH speed limiter!?!?

My Legacy GT (stage I) being drive much more conservatively than those car and driver yahoo's hits almost 120 on the front straight at VIR.

"Hi, I am interested in a manual 2011 Mustang. I really like fast cars and my friends have told me that the 2011's are very fast. I have a subaru, paid off, and ready to trade in, if I can find the right car.

Thank you,

-Marshall"

I am going to bring the HD camera. :lol:

My fiance is having dinner with her highschool friends, I'm thinking about trying that out tonight while she's gone...

I thought that the craziest part about that article was the V6 Mustang's time. It ran for 15 seconds of the 3 minutes against it's 114 MPH speed limiter.

1) I have to imagine it would have posted a REALLY close time to the Mustang GT without the limiter.

2) WHAT THE HELL kind of "performance car" has a 114 MPH speed limiter!?!?

My Legacy GT (stage I) being drive much more conservatively than those car and driver yahoo's hits almost 120 on the front straight at VIR.

I read that too... and it bothered me. I will see if I can achieve the governer for 15 seconds this week. :lol:

Maybe if you push it hard enough the governer will let go? :lol::lol::lol:

lol

Weak brakes on the WRX, not the STi. All of your assessments are bench-racing wrong. What kind of car do you drive?

Subaru WRX STi at Nurburgring 7:55

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/impreza-wrx-sti/2011/2011-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-at-nurburgring.html

Faster than the RS4, Panamera Turbo, etc, etc.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

No Mustangs on that list? Why? Because they would be embarrassed.

Surbaru hasn't fallen behind, C&D has failed.

If I could, I would voteban you for your incompetence.

Are you seriously illiterate, stupid, or just delusional?

In my post I stated that the STI had brakes that work, just the rest of the car doesn't apparently measure up.

As for your list of laps, has anyone run the new Mustang GT on the Nurburgring?

You can cry like a little bitch all you want to about the results, and apparently you will, but they are what they are.

Waaaaahhhhhhhh, Car and Driver is against my beloved Subaru, Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

It is all just a big conspiracy against Subaru. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go ahead and post up a poll to ban me, see if I give a shit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reading some people's posts I'm actually feeling a bit better. I can't wait to run into an "anxious" V6 mustang driver in the real world. C&D's crappy reviews won't stop me from blowing the doors of a stock GT - in any format.

You really think you'll blow the doors off of a 412hp Mustang GT? :lol:

Wow, you are delusional. Have you ever driven a car with over 400hp? I have, and as little as the GT weighs it would be embarrassing for you.

What kind of car do you drive, troll?

Keep bench racing. Eat **it, troll.

Well I used to drive a 2005 legacy 2.5GT, it was turning into a semi-reliable sack of shit by the time 50K was on the clock, so it went away. Partly due to moving to the Black Hills where outdoor activities are better enjoyed with some ground clearance, and partly due to deteriorating reliability.

It was replaced with a 2007 Toyota Tundra 4X4 which is ugly, heavy, and handles like a pig. On the other hand the truck is very useful and capable of taking me places I wish to go. It goes through deep snow far better than the LGT ever could, plus being able to haul things is another bonus.

Before changing careers I sold BMW's and have driven about all of them available up to the 2006 model year, with the exception of the Alpina B7 which our dealership never received an allotment for. I also had the chance to drive a fairly wide variety of high end trade ins during my time there. In 2004-2005 the LGT was a great deal for what it was, but it was pretty far from the end all be all of sport sedans. I have had the opportunity to drive a lot of cars, and after the end of 2005 into early 2006 competition started to catch up. Subaru just didn't bother to try and improve anything.

By the way I am not bench racing, just pointing out the results of a comparison test you seem to want to cry and moan about. :lol:

Hey if it is any consolation I am sure your Spec B is faster than my Tundra, and the mainline freight locomotives I spend most of my time on.

Thank you for finally posting a legitimate thought. Unfortunately it doesn't clear you to troll for Mustangs. I've just pointed out results from a comparison that Ford has avoided for years! (i.e. the Nurburgring for those that are slow like you). I don't care about Tundras. You drive a big truck, nobody gives a shit.

Before changing careers I sold BMW's

So you're a car salesman? :lol: OK, it all makes sense now.

lol

Was a salesman, honestly not a very good one. Before that I was a United States Marine, I was better at that. Now I work for BNSF, it suits me thus far.

Does Ford even sell the Mustang in Europe to any serious degree? If they do I have never heard of any marketing effort. Aside from that all the lap times you have posted are for the older car, which is not nearly as refined in the suspension and braking department (let alone power) as the 2011 Mustangs.

Believe me I used to love nothing more than smoking a V6 Mustang when I had the LGT, and even the GT's at that time were not necessarily safe. That was almost 6 years ago, Subaru is still basically the same but Ford has moved on with the Mustang in a big way. Even the GT500 got a new motor this year since Ford dropped the cast iron block, and went to the aluminum unit similar to the old Ford GT. So now even the GT500 can go around a corner, as well as go really really fast in a strait line.

It actually kind of mildly pisses me off to see Subaru not doing much in the way of keeping up.

Does Ford even sell the Mustang in Europe to any serious degree? If they do I have never heard of any marketing effort. Aside from that all the lap times you have posted are for the older car, which is not nearly as refined in the suspension and braking department (let alone power) as the 2011 Mustangs.

An older car, yes, but its a Rouch with ~418hp and better suspension. That is better than the '11 GT...

lol

An older car, yes, but its a Rouch with ~418hp and better suspension. That is better than the '11 GT...

You are missing one very important point, weight. Not so much absolute weight but rather the placement of it. The new Mustangs, anyone of them, will be much better weight distribution compared to the old one, yes, even the Roush (The Roush wasn't even that great suspension-wise)

Having a full aluminum block engine in the new Mustang making the same power as a cast iron block WITH a blower is going to make a difference

Not to mention how hard Ford has been working on the Mustangs for the last two years. Kinda feel sorry for the 2010 owners. "OMG my car looks so nice new body." 10 months later "OMG those f*****ts gave them a V6 that spanks my V8!"

You are missing one very important point, weight. Not so much absolute weight but rather the placement of it. The new Mustangs, anyone of them, will be much better weight distribution compared to the old one, yes, even the Roush (The Roush wasn't even that great suspension-wise)

Having a full aluminum block engine in the new Mustang making the same power as a cast iron block WITH a blower is going to make a difference

Not to mention how hard Ford has been working on the Mustangs for the last two years. Kinda feel sorry for the 2010 owners. "OMG my car looks so nice new body." 10 months later "OMG those f*****ts gave them a V6 that spanks my V8!"

Thank you for a well reasoned thought.

lol

Better than the 2011GT maybe, no way to really tell unless you ran both cars on the same track with the same professional driver on the same day under the same conditions. I have a hunch the new car may be a bit faster, not due to superior power but due to a lot of R&D $$$, effort, and talent thrown at making the 2011 suspension really handle. Not to take away from anything Roush was able to accomplish with the previous generation car, but they had to work within the platform as it existed at the time.

Of course it took a supercharger to get the same power out of the old 4.6L V8, that the new 5.0L Coyote V8 makes.... and Ford Racing already offers a supercharger for the 5.0L. Probably a lot of fun, but not sure if the stock chassis could really handle another 100-200hp effectively. I am sure Roush will make some money further refining the new platform with the higher output supercharged 5.0L in the near future.

I will be interested to see what the new Boss 302 is capable of when it shows up later this year, 440hp and some more suspension refinements should be interesting. If the price is not in the stratosphere I might even be a buyer.

Better than the 2011GT maybe, no way to really tell unless you ran both cars on the same track with the same professional driver on the same day under the same conditions. I have a hunch the new car may be a bit faster, not due to superior power but due to a lot of R&D $$$, effort, and talent thrown at making the 2011 suspension really handle. Not to take away from anything Roush was able to accomplish with the previous generation car, but they had to work within the platform as it existed at the time.

Of course it took a supercharger to get the same power out of the old 4.6L V8, that the new 5.0L Coyote V8 makes.... and Ford Racing already offers a supercharger for the 5.0L. Probably a lot of fun, but not sure if the stock chassis could really handle another 100-200hp effectively. I am sure Roush will make some money further refining the new platform with the higher output supercharged 5.0L in the near future.

I will be interested to see what the new Boss 302 is capable of when it shows up later this year, 440hp and some more suspension refinements should be interesting. If the price is not in the stratosphere I might even be a buyer.

I really wish you would've shown this type of reasoning earlier in the thread. You seem very reasonable now, and I definitely have been shown that 2011s are serious... I did not know that upon my initial posts. I hope that we both can learn from this... either way, I will be posting some entertaining videos of Fords soon. I hope that Ford owners will be doing the same for Subarus :D :D :D

lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't imagine how pissed I would be if I was in that boat. I am sure the dealers with 2010 Mustangs on the lot were just as pissed when the 2011 specs came out. "How the F**K are we gonna get rid of these things?".

:spin: :spin: :spin:

I really wish you would've shown this type of reasoning earlier in the thread. You seem very reasonable now, and I definitely have been shown that 2011s are serious... I did not know that upon my initial posts. I hope that we both can learn from this... either way, I will be posting some entertaining videos of Fords soon. I hope that Ford owners will be doing the same for Subarus :D :D :D

Reason and politeness BAD! Tolling and insults GOOD! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh wait, now we're having a conversation. A conversation sadly to be cut short by BNSF crew management. It seems that they require my services at 2150MT to take a train to Wyoming.

Archived