LegacyGT.com

$65,000 Hyundai?

2.0L turbo, 278HP and it runs on regular unleaded (87 octane). Not too shabby Hyundai.

Not bad. I bet intake/exhaust upgrades would make that bad boy just barely touch 300hp. Too bad there's no manual included in any of the trims. Making that much power & running on 87 octane....I smell direct injection involved.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These will make a real nice deal for someone to snatch up about 18-24 months after they land on dealer lots and don't sell. Hmmm new $65K sedan for about $50K maybe less to get it off the dealer's floor plan. Kind of like those VW Phaetons.

I'm still willing to bet it's pleather and plastic wood. Or at least nice looking plastic wood. I'd still rather have a mildly optioned E sedan over a topped out Hyundai. Park this car next to a Elantra and then let's see who's proud to drive a car of same lineage.;)

Not bad. I bet intake/exhaust upgrades would make that bad boy just barely touch 300hp. Too bad there's no manual included in any of the trims. Making that much power & running on 87 octane....I smell direct injection involved.

Yea, and one hellacious tune.

Have you driven a hyundai lately? Id buy one over a toyota, lexus, honda, or acura any day of the week now.

I haven't driven the new Turbo Sonata/Optima yet, but I intend to for due diligence.

The most recent Hyundai I've driven was a Genesis V6 and V8 sedan. I was only moderately impressed, but was left bothered by some things that REALLY should have been done better on a car of that caliber.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

196 of them sold in December in the US, the first month numbers will available (I believe).

" Hyundai's all-new flagship Equus, with higher residual value than Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7-Series, and Audi A8, began hitting showrooms in December to high demand and limited availability, resulting in 196 sales. Hyundai targets Equus sales volume of 2,000 to 3,000 in 2011."

New 425HP 5.0L gets added for 2011.

I don't understand all these advertisements talking about how their future resale values will beat the competitors, how the hell to they know.

The Ford commercial with Mike Rowe where he is telling the person that the Ford Fusion's projected resale value beats Camry and Accord bugs the crap out of me. How is that a selling point... there's NO way to know!

The thing that is going to set Hyundai apart is the fact that they scrapped all of their old lines. All the old unreliable engines and transmissions got tossed, and now they are using much better components. Even the interiors are now worlds apart from their predecessors. You can't base their current lineup on their past lineups. If consumers weren't willing to forget the past, GM would be doomed, they made a LOT of shitty cars. I remember watching a video of the Hyundai USA CEO driving this car with a reporter alongside, explaining how no detail was overlooked in making this car (the Equus).
On the search for a new DD...

People will ALWAYS have the terrible old Hyundai image in their mind, no matter how good the car is.

Do you remember how simply HORRIBLE many Honda's and Toyota's were in the 70's??

Do you remember how much bad press went onto Audi when those 5000's supposedly accelerated on their own?

People have short memories, and good car makers learn from their mistakes.

BMW didn't get it right until the early 70's with the 2002.

Audi didn't really get it right until the A4.

Infiniti was done so bad that it almost killed Nissan. The first G35 saved that brand.

The transmission used in the Genesis and the Equus is a ZF unit, not a Hyundai unit. The Hyundai 4.6 liter was ranked by Ward's as one of the Top 10 Engines for 2010. Sounds like their drivetrain is pretty solid. You've got 10 years / 100k miles just in case there is a problem. Meanwhile the Lexus gets its engine yanked at 24k miles so all 32 valvesprings can be replaced.

The people who have this kind of coin to drop are frequently not concerned about brand image. They got where they are by buying the best product and not just the one with the best image. Like I said, my grandparents buy a Lexus every 2-3 years, and that's $80k+ plunked down (not financed) for a new ride. Why wouldn't they consider the Hyundai instead? People who pick a car to be seen in probably lease anyway. There's a Lexus IS250 in town with the tag "IM RICH". Yeah right!

As far as interior material quality is concerned, have any doubters even read a review of the car? Not once has anyone complained about the quality of the leather or other materials and these people are professional nit-pickers.

Different cars appeal to different people for different reasons. It's not the car for everyone but I don't think they'll have any trouble selling them in significant numbers.

They'll find a niche group of buyers who want luxury at a better price than BMW and the likes. If anything, they can tell their friends they are being economical going with an Equus.

I took a ride in a Genesis and it's a pretty nice ride for $40k.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I REALLY hope their engines don't have the quality of that crappy 2.7L V6 they had in the Tiburon/Sonata. That would be really depressing, especially at 65K$.

you are about 10 years behind right now.

the new hyundai engines are sweethearts. a stage 2 v6 genesis would bake a stage 2 legacy gt.

you are about 10 years behind right now.

the new hyundai engines are sweethearts. a stage 2 v6 genesis would bake a stage 2 legacy gt.

2004 is just 6 years ago. I remember my father tearing down my aunt's '04 Sonata to replace head gaskets & found black flakes on the pistons/heads. That car burned oil insanely.

Not saying that you're wrong but I hope the really did up their quality. My aunt hated her car.

Haven't heard anything bad yet but it takes time for all of the flaws to caome to light.

i had a 02 XG350L and it was very reliable. My Auntie still has her late 90's elantra or sonata whatever it is and it got around 200k miles. I believe Hyundai makes good cars...and the new interior nicer than many. Not quite lexus or infinity, but better than mercedes and bmw. IMO Mercedes and BMW interiors have always sucked monkey balls...and I have driven them all from old to new.

IMO Mercedes and BMW interiors have always sucked monkey balls...and I have driven them all from old to new.

+9000. Too many people overrate them. What the hell is with that dial in the center of the BMW's armrest area anyways. My friend's supervisor has one of those things & he uses it for nearly everything in the car. It looks like a real hassle.

A friend of mine was working with Hyundai a while back and I remember him telling me the reasons behind releasing the car.

He mentioned that they weren't expecting to sell very many.

They basically wanted a super luxury car to push the brand's image forward and they were hoping to do it without the costs of a 2nd luxury brand (eg. Lexus/Audi).

+9000. Too many people overrate them. What the hell is with that dial in the center of the BMW's armrest area anyways. My friend's supervisor has one of those things & he uses it for nearly everything in the car. It looks like a real hassle.

You can't say that if you haven't used it.

After you get over the initial "this is stupid" thoughts you have, BMW's most recent iteration of their i-drive setup is extremely well thought out and easy to use.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Didnt I read this thread before.... Oh wait no I read hundreds of them... they were the same threads when the Genesis first came out. Seems people were wrong about that car also.

Going to take a look at one of these tomorrow. My father is interested. He could care less about brand.

Archived