LegacyGT.com

$65,000 Hyundai?

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/equus/

Do what?

It comes with an iPad, and they'll pick the car up for service.

Good effort, but I don't know if I can get over the brand. $65k buys you the better part of a lot of competitive cars.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are nuts. Looks OK, but $65k? You gotta be kidding me.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

This reminds me a great deal of the VW Phaeton. Ask VW how that went sales wise.

Sad times for that car. That W8 sounded fabulous though. My father's boss had one with some European aftermarket exhaust system & it sounded DIVINE.

As for the Equus, it looks just like the Genesis sedan in the front. People aren't gonna' feel it's $65K price, especially since the brand was selling extremely crappy Excels & Sonatas not even 20 years ago. Don't let me get started on their oil consumption in their Accents.

Yea, I don't see anyone paying $65k for a Hyundai when you could get a much nicer, more prestigious car for the same bankroll.

That being said, Hyundai has been steadily upping their game for years now. Case in point, the new turbo motor they've got in their Sonata turbo. 2.0L turbo, 278HP and it runs on regular unleaded (87 octane). Not too shabby Hyundai.

Valet Service

Owning an Equus means you may never have to set foot in our service center. Ever. Not for an oil change, not for a tune-up. When it’s time for service, contact us by phone or through your Equus Owner Experience iPad App, and we’ll come to you, deliver a courtesy replacement vehicle alternative transportation and return your Equus when it’s ready.

Free Maintenance

Owning an Equus comes with the confidence that all of the normal scheduled maintenance is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles. This doesn’t just mean oil changes, but all parts and labor included in the Equus owner’s manual under scheduled maintenance. Paired with our valet service, that comes to you, picks up your vehicle, delivers alternative transportation and returns your vehicle, makes Equus maintenance easy and painless.

Equus Customer Connect Center

The Equus Customer Connect Center provides a premium level of service for Equus prospects and owners. Operating 7 days a week this service gives you access to questions about warranty coverage, features and functionality, Authorized Equus Dealer locations or even help scheduling a personalized demonstration appointment.

Seven days a week from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m (PST)

Ok, well thats all pretty sweet, but I still don't know if it's worth the premium price tag.

And the reclining rear seat is nice, but it's not like thats a Maybach back there, there doesn't seem to be hardly enough room for the foot rest to go out, let alone a set of legs on them.

Who would consider a $65k Hyundai? My grandparents are, after a long line of Lexus vehicles. Their LS460 was $85k and is currently awaiting its recall for valve spring replacement. When it was a month old the radio malfunctioned and played static at a high volume with no way to turn it off. Too bad they were 2 hours from home when it happened. The transmission jerks on the 1-2 shift when it's cold and the dealership calls it normal. My mother's Azera has been perfect after 5 years (there are 3 other Azeras in the family) and my uncle's Genesis is also flawless after 8 months.

The Lexus equipped like the Hyundai in the pic is over $90k, so yes, $65k is one hell of a bargain. They know it won't sell to badge snobs but for someone wanting a premium luxury car at an entry price it will be very attractive. To me it'll be a little nicer next year when it gets the 429hp 5.0 liter and 8spd auto.

No car with a reclining rear seat was meant to use that feature without first moving the front seat all the way up. It was never intended to be used while the car was fully occupied. See

of the reclining seat in the Lexus. Keep in mind that the car in the video is at or above $100k as you see it. $65k sounds a lot more plausible now. Hyundai already makes an extended wheelbase version for their home market so it's easy to bring it here.

What other car tops out at $65k and is similar to the Equus? Not a v6 Acura or entry level 5 series or E-class sedan, that's for sure. This is just their first version, similar to the LS 400. Just wait till it's revised over the coming years.

Who would consider a $65k Hyundai? My grandparents are, after a long line of Lexus vehicles. Their LS460 was $85k and is currently awaiting its recall for valve spring replacement. When it was a month old the radio malfunctioned and played static at a high volume with no way to turn it off. Too bad they were 2 hours from home when it happened. The transmission jerks on the 1-2 shift when it's cold and the dealership calls it normal. My mother's Azera has been perfect after 5 years (there are 3 other Azeras in the family) and my uncle's Genesis is also flawless after 8 months.

The Lexus equipped like the Hyundai in the pic is over $90k, so yes, $65k is one hell of a bargain. They know it won't sell to badge snobs but for someone wanting a premium luxury car at an entry price it will be very attractive. To me it'll be a little nicer next year when it gets the 429hp 5.0 liter and 8spd auto.

No car with a reclining rear seat was meant to use that feature without first moving the front seat all the way up. It was never intended to be used while the car was fully occupied. See

of the reclining seat in the Lexus. Keep in mind that the car in the video is at or above $100k as you see it. $65k sounds a lot more plausible now. Hyundai already makes an extended wheelbase version for their home market so it's easy to bring it here.

What other car tops out at $65k and is similar to the Equus? Not a v6 Acura or entry level 5 series or E-class sedan, that's for sure. This is just their first version, similar to the LS 400. Just wait till it's revised over the coming years.

I was waiting to see if someone would say something like this. I talked to a random 60-something man at a grocery store in a genesis sedan and asked how he like it. He told me "I used to own a Lexus LS, and I like this car better in every way." Brand loyalty is a thing of the past. I see this car bringing Hyundai to a higher standard in the world market. Hyundai is going to be to the Japanese market what Honda and Toyota were to the American market in the 90's: better quality and prices will help them rise above their competitors.

On the search for a new DD...

I would absolutely consider this car.

People laughed at Lexus when the LS400 was intro'ed in 1989 at around $40k. People said "$40,000 for a Toyota?? Pfff!" Well...look how that turned out.

The Phaeton was overpriced. I think the W8 was over $70k back in 2002, and the W12 was even more.

I think this car has a real shot.

I think the car will sale great. These small car brand names are coming of age now, you watch. They were nothing a couple of years ago and now you see many Hyundai, Kia cars and suv around now. I think it is a nice Luxury car. What ever happed to the Subaru Tibeca? They tried to match Lexus and got there face smashed because of no luxery at all pluse price to high. I think this car lookes good and is priced right for its class.

You see so many KIA's and Hyundai's on the road because they make decent lower priced vehicles.

The Genesis was their first foray into the luxury market, and I was mostly unimpressed with the fully loaded V8 Sedan I drove. It felt no more put together than a camry.

Why should I take a $65,000 gamble with a car company who has only REALLY been making "luxury" cars for 2 years? Especially when, a decade ago, they were econoboxes with a bad image for reliability.

I think the proper thing to do would have been to segment themselves further to delineate the brands. Just like Toyota. Just like Honda, and Nissan, and Volkswagen, and even to some extent BMW (with MINI).

Hyundai already has Kia. It can either start pawning it's lesser stuff off onto them and take a more upmarket image to the main brand, or create a seperate brand focused solely on the upmarket. I think the latter would be the wiser move. People will ALWAYS have the terrible old Hyundai image in their mind, no matter how good the car is. Start fresh with a new platform, that'd be my move.

Archived