LegacyGT.com

How long did you run normal oil before switching to synthetic?

Don't you know you are not allowed to use common sense and logic in this forum. :rolleyes:

You're right, I must be lost b/c I can't tell you how perfectly ludicrous it sounds to me to run 3k mile synth oil changes on a stock NA 175chp motor.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're right, I must be lost b/c I can't tell you how perfectly ludicrous it sounds to me to run 3k mile synth oil changes on a stock NA 175chp motor.

You would be amazed at what some people believe. Some people even buy German synthetic oil, as good old North American synthetic oil just isn't good enough for their 175 hp cars :eek:

Wow that's a very agressive schedule. Heck that's on par or slightly longer than we do with our track cars!

To each his own though and I don't mind custys who insist on 3,000 mile oil changes. We've done blackstone testing on the Amsoil w/Amsoil filters on turbo subies and it comes out almost the same as new after 7500-9000 miles.

On a side note, my 2011 STi Manual states 3,250 mile intervals for all Turbo cars, so I think there is some conflicting info being given out by Subaru or they updated the 2011 manuals on the later production cars.

-mike

I don't really think it's too aggressive.

My manual states 3,250 mile intervals. 3,000 is hardly overkill. As for synthetic over dino, I'll just use synthetic and change it a more convenient to remember intervals. If I go over, I don't get too worried. Same if I go under.

Trans and rear diff changes are routine. I drive a lot, and it's cheap enough.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm one of those. Change oil and filter twice each 7,500-mile period (so about every 3,750 miles). Next week going in for 112,500 mile service. Never had to add a drop of oil (it's never been close to the add-oil mark). Completely stock, never tracked or raced.

There's people here running reg dino oil on their GT's for over 100k miles.

Don't get me started on condoms :spin:

I was actually considering switching back to dino oil. I bought my LGT with 55k miles and it was previously on 3k mile dino oil changes. I immediately switched to synth 3k oil changes, found I was eating some oil, switched a couple different brands, still eating a little oil now with 115k miles.

I like to error on the side of caution. Syn at 3k. It's worked well for me. 200+k on my last 3 cars. All sold in great running condition. Maybe it's overkill, but it's a small price to pay. If I cheap out and the engine gives out, it won't be such a small price.

As far as condoms, my wife and I don't use them. We have a beautiful baby girl to show for it.:p

The only thing supporting the OP's point is running synth isn't much more expensive over the life of a car, all things equal..

That’s one point. Another is that synth oil does offer more protection. Even N/A engines deserve love.

• 3 months later...
Just picked up an 80k (salesman's car) 2009 Legacy SE that has run regular oil. Thinking of switching to synth on the next oil change. Is there anything, that hasn't already been discussed here, that I should consider?

Archived