LegacyGT.com

KuNomn's highs and woes of a well loved BD

Awe, come on Plea. Next is making fun of the Brat? Freaking loved that crazy looking Subie. It's what made Subaru the cool company for going "out there" with the design.....along with the XT6....and the SVX....http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/51E7F036-orig.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love the brats, when I was a kid I wanted one because of the jumpseats and I saw the brat in my name is earl with the American flag paint job and I still liked them. I'm not busting on them at all, the baja is different, its got all the plastic flares and.....

The story from where I last left off goes something like this.

Working outside in the winter was brutal and I hated it. Just one of the many factors that led to my depressive procrastinations. I put the project on hold as well as my previous plan of studying musical theory in Richmond. I decided to stay home once again at my mothers house and began taking classes at a college a bit over an hour away. This time I made the decision to stop leaving auto mechanics as just a hobby of necessity and embrace it as my future. I got a job at my local Toyota dealership as a technician but nobody cares about me. How about car(s).

I moved the car to my cousins house so I could use the 50,000$ worth of tools in his garage. I spent most of the time it was there only tinkering with my car. Instead working on his 1st gen wagon, his 400 whp SRT4 or one of the 30 other projects we had going on. But most of the work was eventually done.

My cousins boss had an 04' STI as a winter beater (must be nice to have money). He smashed up all the body panels trying to take his jacket off while driving. Again I-84, apparently it's a bad place for a Subaru. He got another 04' STI and bought the old one (still ran and drove perfectly) back from insurance. This meant parts were up for grabs. I snagged the suspension out of it for my car but he wanted too much money (greedy bastard) for just about anything else.

I still hate wiring and wiring diagrams. Never quite figured out how to make everything work so I found it easier to get a whole dash harness from a donor car and swap everything. While I had the dash apart I took the opportunity to complete my AC deletion (forgot to remove the chime though).

The car sat about 99% road worthy over the winter while I was preoccupied with other things. During this time some skank decided they wanted my stereo. So they took it. Along with some wiring. In the process they found it necessary to nick/cut some of the wires all the way up behind the center vents. So off came the dash again.

I put the car on the road early this spring with a great many rattles and a plethora of minor issues. For example my exhaust for the first week consisted of headers and two cats. That was it. I even only had 5 exhaust manifold studs. Today many of the bugs have been worked out and I am just about ready to start auto crossing.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/07/avy7ynun.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/07/e3y4y8ap.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/07/8uga2yzy.jpg

As the car sits right now:

1997 BD6 LGT

USDM heads freshly rebuilt

JDM block (2.5 NA DOHC VVT. Not sure what engine code it was)

98' outback 5MT trans with matching 4.111 rear differential

A respectable amount of weight reduction taken from all over the car

AC delete

Factory headers and cats, aftermarket OE replacement mid pipe, factory muffler

04' STI suspension (struts, springs, top hats)

18 mm rear sway bar

Super sweet lug nut shift knob

13' FR-S wheels

i willing to bet the motor is a EJ25DE

The VVT heads really threw me off. Everything aside from the block looked completely different. The only real noticeable difference in the block was that the pistons were milled for valve clearance.

• 2 weeks later...

As the car sits right now:

Sexy.

There. A little more truth added.

The VVT heads really threw me off. Everything aside from the block looked completely different. The only real noticeable difference in the block was that the pistons were milled for valve clearance.

The VVT headed engine was most certainly a Phase 2 EJ25. NO Phase 1 EJ25 was VV-timed. I'm betting that you got your hands on an EJ254. Did you need to change the crank gear over from your block to that one? Those pistons should be of the higher compression type for more TQ & HP. Putting your heads on that block should yield about 175-180bhp from the increased compression. Try messing with different octanes & see which of them the car responds better with.

Also, is that the front left bay of Lincoln Tech? I graduated from that school 2 years ago! If you have Mr. Aaron Oates as a teacher, please deliver a message. Tell him that my white Subaru Legacy GT still lives on! Mention a former student named Ken. He'll know who you're talking about. (He & instructor Jay were around just when my 25D was about to pop).

Archived