LegacyGT.com

KuNomn's highs and woes of a well loved BD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Well It's been far too long since I've updated this. Sorry to leave people hanging.

The short version: Outback 5 speed is in. Never again. Weight reduction rules.

Be back later with the long version

http://i.imgur.com/tZujciV.jpg

I got my first Subaru about 2 and a half years ago, a 96 LGT. It didn't last a year before the head gaskets went at about 163k. I'm a broke college student so I ended up driving it around for 4 months before I could afford to replace them. Needless to say, a crank bearing spun and a nasty knock developed a few hundred miles from 170k. I was done and stored it for over a year. It had already had body damage up front that wasn't fixed (blck spray painted OB hood, OB bumper, and duck taped headlights for a while). I gave up on it and never should have. I ended up with a POS 98 LGT wagon. But, at least I have the cars I have now and my buddy owns the 96 and we're rebuilding it.

Kudos to you for keeping with your car. She's looking good, and the wheels are a nice touch. Looking forward to the rest of your story.

Don't get me wrong, I think bajas are dope a hell. That being said. . . They are not trucks.

I don't understand why there isn't a Subaru truck if a small engine company like Honda can make a half ass attempt. FHI makes tons of heavy equipment and has been for decades but they can't give us a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton with full time awd and a diesel H6 or gas H8? Even a mini truck to compete with the likes of the Tacoma with the 2.5 or the 3.6 as an option.

As far as wagon/sedan. I'm a sedan guy but love having a wagon in the family to use when I need. I also own a 1st gen forester. Fiancé has a 2nd gen forester. Taking my mother to buy an 02 outback LL Bean with an H6 tonight. And soon I hope to have pics of my car next to my cousins sweet BJ wagon soon.

Yeah kenny!!! :) they are not trucks, more truck like.

I don't really like driving trucks on the daily but everybody should have one...and wow that baja looks rope all murdered out and dropped, hmmmmm baja or wagon is next.

i cant stand how the baja looks. theres a few around my area that are bone stock, cant stand them. i do love the wagons tho, but not really the high step roof outbacks. they look too tall and goofy for me. and im fairly goofy looking myself...

Bubble top does look a bit silly, I thought the baja looked silly but I kind of liked the baja on semi race or auto-x form..that having a truck bed that's about as useful as the ford explorer sport tracks bed is.

Archived