LegacyGT.com

Does the 2.5i have a PCV Valve?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
I still can't believe Subaru doesn't include the PCV valve as a regular maintenance item. Reminds me of the "lifetime" transmission fluids in VAG products.

According the warranty booklet with my 2012 Legacy 2.5i, the PCV valve is covered by the 15yr/150Kmi PZEV warranty, plus any parts and labor associated with changing it.

I *assume* this would be the same for any PZEV Soob.

I wonder if anyone has actually pursued this?

Joel

• 1 year later...

Awesome thread. Bringing this back to life.

I will check with the dealer to see how much they charge for this service.

I can't believe what I saw in post #10. $12 labor to replace the PCV valve? That was 3 years ago, but, that's $12 worth spending.

I use to have the dealer do my spark plugs, and at the time of that service when they charged $12 labor for the valve they did the spark plugs and brake fluid as well. So maybe getting the valve done in addition to other services is why the labor charge was so low. I'm not surprised that they want to charge you for 1hr of labor if that's all you want to have done, I think the minimum they can charge you is for 1hr of labor.

Looking back at my service records, I had the dealer do my plugs and pcv valve another time, and the labor charges for that service were $69.75, and next to hours it says 1.30.

Also on that same invoice is rear diff fluid change, which is listed at .30 hours, labor rate of $29.70, gear oil charge of $6.46.

I still get confused as to how the dealership charges for labor when you have multiple things done, but long story short I think that's why I was only charged $12 for labor, because I had some other stuff done at the same time.

• 9 months later...

FYI: You can cap the PCV valve and cap the port on the intake manifold. Get rid of the hose. Then all of your block venting will happen through the crank vent ports on the valve covers (which should ideally go to a catch can before entering back into the intake pipe).

I prefer this way because I do not like dirty PCV air going into my intake manifold.

• 2 weeks later...
Changed mine last week (cost $40) from subaru here in Australia. Next time I'll just clean it.

Old one still rattled.

Exactly the PCV regulates dirty air after a while its gets gummed up a quick spray with WD-40 or Brake cleaner or the like and shes like new!

• 1 month later...
Changed mine last weekend. 140k miles on the car and I don't think it has ever been changed. It was full of gunk/oil and didn't rattle at all. Got an oem subi one on ebay for $17 shipped. Changed it in about 2 minutes. Didn't have to remove anything. Just needed a 19 socket with a 6 inch extension on it. The hose was the only problem. It was hard as hell and cracked as soon as I yanked on it. Got a new 3/8 hose from autozone.

Archived