LegacyGT.com

Does the 2.5i have a PCV Valve?

I guess that makes sense, but still doesn't explain why sparks are transferring into a 100% rubber hose!

Because it's not 100% rubber! It's got lead in it... apparently enough to conduct high voltage electricity.

If that spark is jumping through a spark boot to a rubber hose, it's time to get new spark wires.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I figured there must be some sort of metallic compound in the hose! My wires are less than a year old, blue Ralliteks. All is well since I ziptied the PCV hose out of the way though - it was deformed from yanking on it trying to pull it off the PCV.

Got the PCV from autozone, looks identical to the above picture. MPG is still doing excellent. Low 30's on the highway.

That PCV hose pictured above is nothing like the one on my 2.5i. It's just a straight shot (with one bend I believe) from the PCV (down on the crankcase) to the metal PCV plumbing on the intake manifold.

My oil consumption is still mind bogglingly bad. No smoke whatsoever out of the exhaust, but it's gotta be going somewhere. No leaks underneath either. Either head gasket at this point or worn rings is my guess. Not in any rush to do any mechanical work on this car yet again until its at least 60 out. -8º right now! :(

The hose pictured above is for the 05-06 LGT, they are different and threaded into a plastic coupler that branches off to a few other locations.

If you can get the PCV out you can buy the single part from Autozone for say a 2.5i and install it into the plastic part on your LGT. I was able to free mine but I cleaned it and re-installed it since it seemed to work fine.

My oil consumption is still mind bogglingly bad. No smoke whatsoever out of the exhaust, but it's gotta be going somewhere. No leaks underneath either. Either head gasket at this point or worn rings is my guess. Not in any rush to do any mechanical work on this car yet again until its at least 60 out. -8º right now! :(
The bad PCV might have caused a blown seal(s) in the engine somewhere. That is why PCV should be a regular maintenance item. Like I said, a bad PCV can be devestating to an engine.

The replacement was $20 from autozone.:spin: Seems high.

:eek::eek::eek:

Really?! Sounds like your store really brings the suck.

The AZ pieces list for $2.99 here (Denver area), and the most expensive NAPA one is $7.04.

O'Reily/Checker has one for $1.99

I was able to access my pcv valve by simply disconnecting the 2 plug wires from above it, pulling the hose off, and slipping a 3/4" deep socket with extension down there.

When I removed it I shook it to see if it rattled, I was surprised with 105k that I could hear a little ticking inside. After spraying it out with some cleaner and compressed air it looked a lot better and rattled louder.

If you turn the pcv upside down and use a small pick you can push the plunger down and you will see it is spring loaded to return.By squirting brake cleaner or similar solvent in when you push the plunger down it is easy to clean.When clean the plunger is absolutly free and will return to the top instantly.If the spring is broken or weak the part should be replaced.

I cleaned mine this am---about 100k miles on it and cleaned up really well.

• 1 month later...

did this last night while i did my oil change. i noticed that the last 3 oil changes, oil was blacker quicker. maybe this will help with that and gas mileage.

it did NOT CLICK AT ALL at 72k miles, but it did clean up well after i let it soak in brake cleaner and then blew it out with air gun a bunch of times. definately should be a maintenance item.

I'm glad I started a PCV cleaning revolution!

Cleaned the PCV last night WOW what a bitch to get to I had to take off the air box, bracket for the airbox and the coil to get my deep well 19mm socket on the valve. It came off with some force and I used brake cleaner to spray into it and get all the bunk out. It rattles like a snake now. Put it back should be good for another 50K or so, I noticed that the valve plunger was loose.

• 4 weeks later...

just to update, after 1900mi on this current OCI, i have used close to no oil, where before i would have added about 1/2qt to 3/4qt. this time i didn't bother to add any. i'm at 74k miles now.

definately if anyone has a high mileage 2.5i, check your PCV's.

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced mine yesterday morning. I pulled the airbox thing and the two spark plug wires. I had to bust out a 3/4" deep socket and extensions and then the 1/2" adapter and breaker bar. It was really on there!

I priced up the PCV valve at Napa (who doesn't stock anything) Advance and Auto Zone. They were about $17-20 but no one had them in stock. So I called the dealer and they had them in stock for $16.

Unfortunately, I also wanted to get my car up on ramps and see what is rubbing/squeaking up front when I turn so I didn't get to go for a drive yet. I did start her up and after she started a tad rough the idle evened out just fine.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I replaced the PCV valve with an OEM replacement and now I seem to be getting about 1-2mpg lower. Also on a cold start (as in car sat for several hours and its 35-50 out) the idle seems to be a tad rougher. No codes and the car runs fine when it's warmed up.

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I'll do both those.

Last night I disconnected my battery and I just reconnected it this morning. I realized that I should get new battery terminals. I'll see if this helps things today and go from there.

Just an update:

Car feels a lot better now and my mileage is back up. My avg has been 26.1MPG since I bought the car in November. The last tank after replacing the PCV I got 24.8. I haven't run a complete tank this week, but my car says I'm getting 28+ on this tank which probably means about 27MPG.

• 5 months later...

Well had lots of fun finding the location of the PCV valve on the 2.5i.

Back RH corner of motor besides the engine harness connector.

I had to take of the air box and one bracket and used a snap-on offset wrench 3/4" or 19 mm will work too. You could take off the harness bracket to make it easy. Here are some pictures of the location.

1852810850_photo(13).thumb.jpg.4f884c15ba06d155f21411a4f653a30d.jpg

photo.thumb.jpg.26b3c08f2a8de534ce0358cd0fe6ea99.jpg

1310593973_photo(12).thumb.jpg.cd7a11b23473c6655c158085838d0c15.jpg

Archived