LegacyGT.com

1997 Outback Fuel Gage Problem

• I Donated
Pretty much every single Legacy has this problem and so far I haven't read about a concrete way to fix it. Sorry man.

So you're saying when I'm freaking out because I think I'm running out of gas and have no money, I can still go another 100 or so miles?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

thats exactly it ^

the gas light on these are retarded

my method around this is to fill up an exact amount i.e. 5.000 gal

then run until the engine starts struggling due to lack of gas.. take tank mileage and get the average

then fill up an approx amount everytime and use your trip odometer as your fuel gauge

if that makes sense.. it sounds different in my head

^this

YOU need to see how far YOUR car can go. It isn't the same for every car. Every gas gauge seems to read differently so you just have to figure out what yours is really telling you. I have figured out I can go ~360 miles on a tank of gas. But now that it is winter I get ~275-300 miles out of a tank.

• I Donated

I can't do the mileage thing. My odometer is stuck on 130345. Actually, according to carfax my car had 146xxx in 2005, then in 2006 it had 130345....and has had that many mile since then lol....

Anyways back on to the point. I don't even know if my dummy light for the gas works or not because I've run my car pretty low (past the e line) and the light has never come on....

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I've never seen the gas light on my legacy :(

I've heard you need to clean the reader (on the fuel pump side) in the gas tank with denatured alcohol in order to get it to read properly. I think I might try this tomorrow when there isn't pressure in the gas lines. I'd love to find a concrete solution to this too!

• I Donated
Cleaning the sensor doesn't work for shit.. ask me how I know

How do you know?

haha

I would think they would stay clean since its submerged in gasoline....and gasoline is an excellent cleaner

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Ok so...I won't try cleaning it off then :spin: well, we're all SOL then. Can't we just buy a new sensor or something? I'd imagine it's a cheap little thing, but I've never pulled apart the one on the passenger side. I'd put money on it looking alot like the driver's side one though.

yeah, i just got a 96 LGT wagon a few days ago. today, when i returned home from work, i supposed to have alil more than 1/8 of a tank and within a mile, the needle dropped all the way below empty line. I was SHOCK.....

but when i stopped at the light and drive home in city traffic, it returns back to where it supposed to be, or maybe alil lower, closer to EMPTY line..

However, when i went to the gas station, i only end up filling up 9.5 gallons, that means i still have around 7 gallons in the tank. And my fuel gauge needle is less than 1/8 mark. this is really piss me off. i need to figure out a way to know how much gas i have left and start driving to the gas station.

Archived