LegacyGT.com

Here is my D-I-Y JDM front Grill

firedawgs

Well...it makes it look like an AUDI does it not. I like it though. Chrome aside...I got high reviews from a few members on this board. Just wait until tonight and maybe you may read something interesting about my latest contraption. Hint: it works with that front grille.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well...it makes it look like an AUDI does it not. I like it though. Chrome aside...I got high reviews from a few members on this board. Just wait until tonight and maybe you may read something interesting about my latest contraption. Hint: it works with that front grille.

Better than OEM and not to boy racer looking. It has that classy up-scale look of the body colored JDM style grill. Good work!

Looking forward in seeing your latest contraption.

This is a pic of another member who did the same thing you did, but with a gap in the bottom center - below the subaru badge.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachme...tachmentid=3334

I am 50 % done with my DIY JDM grill and I used Bondo brand fiberglass repair to fill the gaps. Get the short-strand type, I used clear shipping tape to create a "mold" to get the nice flat part, and used Bondo glazing compound to fill in the remaining small pockets. It worked great! Does take patience with the sanding though. If I had a camera I would post pics.

Did we ever get the name of the primer used on the chrome?

Chris - I have spray gun with my compressor - you are welcome to come over and use it or borrow it to finish the grille once you are done with prep. Let me know. ;)

Chris - I have spray gun with my compressor - you are welcome to come over and use it or borrow it to finish the grille once you are done with prep. Let me know. images/smilies/wink.gif

Hmmm. I may take you up on that. Depends on how much a body shop will charge.

fiberglass fill seems like a good idea. Do you have a picture of the progress.

Believe it or not, the fiberglass I used seems stronger than the original plastic. And it really is easy to work with. Beware though, the directions say you have 5 minutes of usable time, I had about 2 before it started to harden, so be ready and mix small batches.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived