LegacyGT.com

Transmission whine? normal...? vid included

So i've been getting a bit of whine but I don't think this is a normal sound that should be coming from the tranny. I can't distinguish if this is due to bearing failure or just some else.

Here is the video, has anyone had something similar from their legacy?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1fqUI8ig5I]YouTube - MVI 7428[/ame]

Yep, tranny bearings. That's what mine sounded like for about 5 months until I spent $1600 to have the tranny bearings replaced. That included all the parts and labor.

Another way to check. Drive next to a big truck on the highway with the window down and apply power...

Mine was fairly quite in 4th and 5th until I did that test. Most of the whine was in 2nd and 3rd.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

my car does it only in 2nd gear.

i need to see if it is covered under warrenty. but I guess that could be why the previous owner traded it in if i had to guess.

You should try the driving next to a semi with the window down and apply power in 4th gear and see if you can hear the tranny whine. If not now...it's coming.

Hey, I just remembered when mine first started it in Nov of like 06 or 07 the dealer told me, "look you have the 100,000 mile warrenty, drive it until it get's really loud then bring it in". I think a went a year later and had them rebuild it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

my car sounds just like that. I always thought it was the turbo, but now that I think about it...I only hear it under load. Thought it was the turbo because I could hear it in all gears with my windows up. maybe it's related to my randomly dissapearing gear oil, and leak by my shift shaft seal.

I've driven the car ~12000miles (car has 53k miles total) and it's made this sound since the day i test drove it. What can happen if I just ignore it?

You lose the 60,000 mile power train warrenty. It should be covered till then. There is also a small grace period because the Judge said that Subaru Legacy's odometers read faster then they should.

I've had a similar noise since I can remember, like for 50k miles.. Mines never gotten worse/louder (now with 110k miles) and my buddy who owns a AAMCO tranny shop and did my clutch replacement @ 80k miles (drove the car overnight) said it was likely the turbo and not to worry..

Also, I drained my tranny fluid at 90k miles and there was no significant signs of tranny issues based on the fluid and drain plug grime (no larger metal particals, ExtraS fluid looked pretty good, level always is at 'full')..

My tranny whines under load (and decel) pretty substantially, and has done so since brand new. Differing fluids/temps have changed the whine, but it's always whiny :)

It's one of the reasons I consider this to be the worst sounding car in the history of my car ownership - between the car sound at cold start, the trans whining all the time, and worn out re92s....I'm always thinking something is about to fall off the car.

You lose the 60,000 mile power train warranty. It should be covered till then. There is also a small grace period because the Judge said that Subaru Legacy's odometers read faster then they should.

the time period on the factory warranty is already gone on my vehicle. I do have an extended aftermarket warranty that is essentially the same thing as subaru's standard 6yr/60kmile powertrane warranty.

After work today I drove around a bit to see if I could replicate this noise. Because I was in the city I couldn't rev much past 3krpm safely, but I can definitely hear this whining in 2nd gear under the 3krpm mark. So can I safely say that is not my turbo as it shouldn't be spooled yet? I can hear it faintly in 3rd and 4th whenever I step on the gas and slowly accelerate (between 2k and 3k rpm).

If nothing catastrophic is going to happen, maybe this would be an excuse to actually take my car to the Subaru dealer to see if they will see/hear something for a 60k service.

the time period on the factory warranty is already gone on my vehicle. I do have an extended aftermarket warranty that is essentially the same thing as subaru's standard 6yr/60kmile powertrane warranty.

After work today I drove around a bit to see if I could replicate this noise. Because I was in the city I couldn't rev much past 3krpm safely, but I can definitely hear this whining in 2nd gear under the 3krpm mark. So can I safely say that is not my turbo as it shouldn't be spooled yet? I can hear it faintly in 3rd and 4th whenever I step on the gas and slowly accelerate (between 2k and 3k rpm).

If nothing catastrophic is going to happen, maybe this would be an excuse to actually take my car to the Subaru dealer to see if they will see/hear something for a 60k service.

Didn't we have a bunch of PM's a few months back about this ? :)

Someone above posted about changing the tranny fluid more often...I think I'm going to give that some serious thought.

Got back from the dealer and they stated that its normal for the Turbo Outbacks to have that whine. They also stated that its the cut in the gearing that makes that noise.

They also tested another earlier turbo Outback with more miles just to make sure it wasn't a gearing problem and that car had the same whine.

Just keep an eye on it or in this case a ear open for the noise to get louder. It takes time.

Yes the manual tranny's do make a noise, but if it begins to get really loud under power then you need to begin thinking about bearings.

I was looking through the manual last night and noticed the turbo cars use a different style bearing on one of the shafts. FYI the tranny is at around page 3600 in the book.

haha...yeah Max we had a bunch of PMs a while back. Good times.

anyways...i made a video of my noise. I still want to say turbo but then again i'm not anywhere close to an expert on transmissions...or turbos.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Cypher0117/?action=view&current=wat.mp4

sorry...1st video i've ever made so I don't know how to properly link like the 1st guy

Well just got off the phone with Byers Subaru and they said that their is definitive something wrong with the second gear in the car and they will have to pull out the transmission and pull it apart to see what the issue is. they stated that it will be covered under power train warranty but they cant get it in till Monday.

heres to hoping they rebuild the whole transmission. I should be able to tell rather well if they replace it or rebuild it since the original owner of the car must have lived on a dirt road and the transmission is covered in dirt.

Archived