LegacyGT.com

Transmission whine? normal...? vid included

Alright, since this is becoming popular I'll update everyone to what my situation is. I brought the car into an independent shop dealing specifically related to trannies, the owner worked for subaru but decided to go independent so it swayed my decision. I had him test drive the car, first two gears were normal, typical straight cut; he shifted and said, hmm it sounds like you have all straight cut gears. He further diagnosed the issue as input shaft bearing due to the frequency pitch, with the output shaft starting to go. The bearings will make a different pitch and you can distinguish them, tis hard but I can begin to hear the difference.

He is doing exploratory surgery on the car, the tranny should be removed today and I'll likely know more about the problem sometime this week; will keep everyone up to date!

good luck with everything and let us know what the issue is.

In my old car the input shaft bearing went out and sounded nothing like this. More sounded like a chainsaw slowly revving up.. Then again when I pulled the transmission apart I noticed the input shaft bearing had chunks of the balls missing.

clyons, thats about whats going on with mine.

I got off the phone with Subaru yesterday and the lady didnt give me a definite answer to the issue but she stated they are replacing the gearing and bearings in the transmissions. She told me that it was an issue with how the gears were lining up in and that they wernt syncing correctly. personally I dont think thats the real issue so ill wait till its finished to see what the parts ordered were and talk with the guy that did the work.

Well im on my way to pickup my car now.

They replaced the following items

1st gear, second gear, bearings, main shaft, pinion gear and some others. Im VERY surprised they didn't replace the syncros since they are a wear item.

• 2 weeks later...

Brought the car back to get fixed since they made 5th gear worse and I got the car back yesterday for the second time.

Byers claims they fixed the issue but I can still hear the noise. Im just going to wait till winter is over and see if it gets worse and bring it back when I get better tires on the car. Everyone keeps saying they cannot hear it over the tire noise.

Byers claimed the issue was the front left wheel bearing.

Im just glad to have my legacy back. Driving that loaner jetta was getting to me.

Alright, I just got the car back...insurance took forever but covered the whole repair. The tranny ended up needing a complete bearing set; i'd have to look at the specifics of the repair but I believe it was around 8 bearings that were replaced. Everything is back to the way it should be now, theres a very slight whine but nothing that doesn't sound normal for this car. If anyone is interested in the difference I can certainly make another video.

Here's a quick video I made the other day. I just edited the part out you see in the video. I'm assuming my engine noise is normal - does yours now sound like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umr4ZLih6Kc]YouTube - 09' 2.5i Engine whine[/ame]

• 11 months later...

my 05 sounds exactly like Cypher's

Was told all 05's whine like this, i've put 50,000km since i've owned it and its never gotten louder nor has the shifting changed at all.

Planning to put in a OEM single mass flywheel and clutch soon, maybe once its appart i'll see if somethings wrong?

Archived