LegacyGT.com

Airbag light...sometimes. Console problem?

If it's really that easy then that would be great. I'm actually pretty handy with a soldering iron and comfortable doing this sort of thing. I mean if it's a $50 cost then why not? Been through countless blown weekends on many a car "quick fix" project.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is that easy! Not many things can actually go wrong with it. Should take a couple hours tops when doing it the first time. For most people it would be less than an hour. Doing it a second time would be 15 minutes

It is that easy! Not many things can actually go wrong with it. Should take a couple hours tops when doing it the first time. For most people it would be less than an hour. Doing it a second time would be 15 minutes

First time took me about 15 minutes, including disassembly, reassembly, and iron warm-up and clean-up time. Granted I'm well-versed with a soldering iron, but still, that probably only saved me 5 minutes tops.

Hello all, just taking possession of an 05 that has the airbag light on. Is there anyone selling reflowed circuit boards? It would be a nice service to have, send in your old board and get a new fixed one for a fee. I searched and found links on how to clear and also this thread. If the majority of problems is the board then I would think there ought to be a market for them instead of the $300 dealer charge...

You can try pm'ing kroll, he said this in post #167

I know a Subie tech that will expertly re-solder all the points on the board for roughly $25. This includes return shipping. He does great work. PM me for info.

I will be taking my car in for the recall soon. I'll mention this light came on recently and see if it's fixed with the recall. Already had issues with this dealer, so I'll pull in the service manager if needed.

I wouldn't expect them to fix this, as technically its another part of the system that the recall doesn't really cover. I'd expect they would quote a price to replace the entire assembly based on what I've seen others post here. But if they do decide to do something, please let us know!

Keep in mind that if you do get a new one from the dealer, it has the same latent fault as the old one, so just solder the old one. Even someone as lazy as me found this to be quick, easy repair. You will spend more time removing and replacing screws than soldering and screw removal / replacement totals about seven minutes if you are slow.

I wouldn't expect them to fix this, as technically its another part of the system that the recall doesn't really cover. I'd expect they would quote a price to replace the entire assembly based on what I've seen others post here. But if they do decide to do something, please let us know!

I figure that is what will happen, worth an ask.

Keep in mind that if you do get a new one from the dealer, it has the same latent fault as the old one, so just solder the old one. Even someone as lazy as me found this to be quick, easy repair. You will spend more time removing and replacing screws than soldering and screw removal / replacement totals about seven minutes if you are slow.

Good point. I will get around to it.

upper console off, dashboard on, center console on

my mechanic says he has software that can pull the airbag fault and he says it's the passenger side that is coding and is part of recall.

i pulled the board anyway and found that my board only has one LED, the other 3 slots are empty. it looks pretty stock. also there are only two wires to the board - red and blue. the foam around the connectors all looked intact. i was wondering if someone already had a go at it. i reflowed everything and nothing happened. i am going to try it again....

update - after two tries, still no good. i paid attention to the 511 resistor and the diode this time, to no avail...

Edited by jsmythe

• 6 months later...
I just desoldered mine today after having the light on for about a year. BAM FIXED!!

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/shabbasi/photo1_zpsdab9f770.jpg

Here are the 6 points I resoldered

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/shabbasi/photo2copy_zps846b2a71.jpg

My crummy solder job that got the job done

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/shabbasi/photo3_zps86ef02b9.jpg

Big Thanks to Crazy_Pilot!!!!

Update from me. I originally fixed a connector behind steering wheel. Light went away for all of two days. Just today I tried resoldering the D1 and R1 connections and no dice. Then I tried the 6 on the back between the lights and now the airbag light is off. Hopefully this does it for good!

I get this light every winter... but I just learned when the light is on ALL airbags are disabled. Get this fixed ASAP! If you cannot solder then get a replacement overhead console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get this light every winter... but I just learned when the light is on ALL airbags are disabled. Get this fixed ASAP! If you cannot solder then get a replacement overhead console.

Can you post your source for that info? I've never seen anything definitive but I definitely want to know!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

My independent Subaru shop run by a mechanic who was a Subaru tech for 10 years.

Can you post your source for that info? I've never seen anything definitive but I definitely want to know!

My independent Subaru shop run by a mechanic who was a Subaru tech for 10 years.

I can second this info. Which is why when I asked about it to SOA they hooked me up with a new console, no charge.

The irony: six months later I get the letter that says don't use my passenger seat. One year after that I still can't use it. At least the other bags will work now.

I can second this info. Which is why when I asked about it to SOA they hooked me up with a new console, no charge.

The irony: six months later I get the letter that says don't use my passenger seat. One year after that I still can't use it. At least the other bags will work now.

Don't worry, just make sure that passengers use the belt, it is a lot more important than the airbag.

453747.png

Don't worry, just make sure that passengers use the belt, it is a lot more important than the airbag.

I can't use the seat because of the airbag recall. As much as this isn't a Subaru specific issue it is not being handled well in my area. They are fixing the bags of the customers who complain first instead of the older models. I will not demand a loaner and have my car sit in the lot with no guarantee it comes back with no damage.

It is on the late side for this, but the dealer who did my '07 airbag recall replacement last fall fixed my light as well. I didn't even mention it going in, so some others may luck out as well.

Doug

Sounds like you have a good dealer. The console issue needs fixed for them to have the system working, and I'm sure a shadier dealer may try to put it on the customer (when SOA would cover for sure).

A seatbelt alone won't save you in a crash of significant force. Seat belts and airbags are meant to work together. That's why SRS stands for: supplemental restraint system. Seat belts position you and airbags provide deceleration.

• 1 month later...
Would this turn my airbag light off even if I have to get a new airbag control unit and side curtain Airbag?

No, if you have codes for those start with the aide curtain airbag. Once you replace it the other code might go away. But fixing the warning light won't fix a side curtain fault.

• 1 month later...

Here comes another successful repair. Thanks to Crazy_Pilot!

I resoldered the '511' resistor, and 3 LED-side resistors. I can even see the crack on the soldering point on one of the resistors.

Now the passenger side airbag indicator will light up at full brightness (very dim/no light at all before repair) and airbag light on dash board is gone.

I did the overhead console solder repair yesterday during my lunch at work, it was pretty straight forward, I soldered all connections, both sides of the board got boltsered resistor solders and the wires running in got a bit of solder as well.. it worked great, all lights work up top and no airbag light in ic!