LegacyGT.com

Speaker sizes in 05 Legacy

Kuth678

A guy on NASIOC posted a recommendation for a guy who is an authorized CDT dealer in NY. I was talking to him on AIM, and he told me his (very reasonable) prices. His SN is djdilliodon. I have not personally dealt with him yet, but if I do buy these speakers, I'll post my opinions for sure. If for some reason they won't fit in the Legacy, I'm sure I'll find other uses for them.

yeah, crutchfield is supplying contradicting info. i would have to say that perfect fit and redrilling holes are not a match. i certainly would like to have a talk with the guy who made the measurements and did the 1st install. his name is Wayne, and he is never available.

well, i took the afternoon off to have a go at installing new speakers all around - and i had to give up. i could not figure out how to get them in. i tried drilling, but my bit kept slipping. so the speakers are headed back to crutchfield. i am thinking of taking a drive down there to have them do the install for me. i just cannot trust my car in the hands of a 16 year kid at best buy or circuit city.

HEF, did you buy from crutchfield? I thought that all the drilling was done on the plastic adapters?

i did buy from crutchfield.

i did not find them to be easy fit either. there was only one way that the adapter ring would match the 3 stock screw holes, and in that position, the speaker sat low enough that it would not fit in the door hole. then i proceeded to try and drill the door, but my bit kept slipping. maybe if i tacked a few dents with a hammer and nail it might have worked better. anyway, i wasn't up for all the extra work, so back they go.

• 3 weeks later...

awww, just cram the speakers in already.. it's around 6", just drill new holes for mounting or file down the existng speaker hole to fit the new speakers into the door... just make sure you leave enough room for the window to roll down without hitting the magnet on the speaker :p

Keefe

Keefe

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know a company that currently sells a higher quality of speaker adaptor? I don't like those Scosche adaptors that seem to be very common. Crutchfield allows you to select 6 3/4" speakers, does this sound right to anyone?

• 9 years later...
I have undertaken a massive task of attempting to fit a pair 125W RMS 8 Ohm 6.5" woofers with a mounting depth of 90mm into the front doors of my 2004 Legacy with McIntosh stereo. I'll take photos on the weekend when I start making custom plywood spacers etc. Wish me luck!!

• 2 years later...
I have undertaken a massive task of attempting to fit a pair 125W RMS 8 Ohm 6.5" woofers with a mounting depth of 90mm into the front doors of my 2004 Legacy with McIntosh stereo. I'll take photos on the weekend when I start making custom plywood spacers etc. Wish me luck!!

Sorry old post but I'm now in the position of looking at my front door speakers with the same stereo setup. I have the premium McIntosh setup with 11 speakers from memory. There is actually nothing wrong with the stock speakers when they were NEW, the issue is the suspension foam on the cone fails and then they sound like shit with severe distortion at even modest volume with music that has any bass.

I have already had the sub in the boot reconed. I looked at just buying a new Sub Woofer but the size of it is as real pain with the shallow depth so I got it repaired.

It sounds like the fronts could also be a pain but hoping they are easier and I can fit something aftermarket. Was hoping to get enough info from here to just buy a pair and only need to pull the door card once, but it looks like I have to remove one to see what I need.

Its not really as simple as just worrying about the physical parameters, beside the frequency range speakers have a SPL or efficiency and the factory set-up will have a small amplifier so no point chucking up low efficiency speakers designed for a decent power amp driving them.

I just installed a Alpine S kit Component in front and coax in back. I have the sub under the seat as well. Bought it all from Crutchfield that included the adapters so pretty much plug and play. A few small mods were needed for things to mate up. In all it's an improvement.

Had to drill one mount hole in the rear for the new adapter ring. Also had to pull the tweeter housing apart and glue/silicon it to the existing mount behind the door card.

Now looking at a single DIN upgrade since the HU is now deciding to start to shit the bed. Need to get my CD's out of it before it craps out completely.

Pulled the front door speakers.

Due to the fitment and the fact they are 8 Ohms and not 4 Ohms, going aftermarket is not an option.

There is a company over here that can rebuild both the Bass and Midrange speakers with new foam speaker surrounds for like $150 for all four. Chances are they will outlast the life of the car.

I called Subaru and got the price for the speakers new and you really don't want to know what they quoted.

• 1 month later...

I put non-car speakers in my 05 Outback. (car speakers are a rip-off)

I took detailed measurements of depth, spacer ring size and protrusion clearance.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/69-audio-video-security-navigation/44044-stock-speakers-size-s-06-legacy-wagon.html

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

The front door speakers in mine were 6inch not 6.5inch. They are 8 Ohms.

The midrange speakers were 3 inch.They are also 8 Ohms.

I didn't want to modify anything and the shape of the speaker baskets were all custom made and if you wanted to retain the stock nylon plastic holders its easy to just get them rebuilt. Should be good for another 10 years.

Archived