LegacyGT.com

Speaker sizes in 05 Legacy

Kuth678

My brother just ordered an 05 legacy. I was wondering if anyone knew the speaker sizes in it.

The base Legacy speakers really stink so we're looking for after market ones.

Crutchfield doesn't have any info on them yet understandably.

My brother just ordered an 05 legacy. I was wondering if anyone knew the speaker sizes in it.

I made a post on the NASIOC forums too. Maybe some of the new Legacy GT owners can find out for us. I think I heard it was 6.1" though, kind of an odd size.. Maybe Subaru just wants to make it as difficult as possible for someone to add a good aftermarket stereo. :evil:

I emailed SOA and asked about speaker sizes. The reply:

I have been advised that the size of the speakers in your 2005 Legacy GT

Limited Wagon are:

Diameter - 6.1 inches

Height - 3.0 inches

B.C. diameter - 5.6 inches

I emailed SOA and asked about speaker sizes. The reply:

I have been advised that the size of the speakers in your 2005 Legacy GT

Limited Wagon are:

Diameter - 6.1 inches

Height - 3.0 inches

B.C. diameter - 5.6 inches

Does that apply to just the front door speakers or all? Does anyone know of speakers that are this size? I couldn't find anything on the net.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually took my car to Charlottesville and had the Crutchfield guy take the measurements for their website. The HU is a PITA to change out, so I had the Infinity Reference speakers installed front and rear. They don't require quite as much power as the Kappas, so they match the OEM HU better. Here's the link: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7TodwnOT4dm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=52000&I=1086002SI&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=infinity+%2Dharman&SearchDisplay=Infinity

The speakers have built in tweeters, but I also had additional tweeters installed in the doors near the pull handles. Overall, I have a little better midrange and the highs sound a little crisper. The door speakers needed an adapter ring that they had handy at Crutchfield. I think the setup is about as good as you can get without a new Head Unit and external amplifier.

Rimfaxe

What does "really stink" mean? In what particular aspect are they inadequate? Loudness? Clarity? Does Eva Marton's singing not have the proper balance with the orchestra that it should? To say that something "really stinks" without defining the parameters is pointless.

Some people want their stereos to be loud, so that they can share their music with everyone. Others want their car audio to image well, an impossibility (sorry).

Kevin

The speakers have built in tweeters, but I also had additional tweeters installed in the doors near the pull handles.

Are you saying that you changed out the existing speakers in that location (if so, what did you replace them with?) or are you saying that you had some installed in that location when there weren't any there to begin with (which would be weird because I think all of the Legacy models have speakers there)?

The Infinitys that I mentioned in an earlier post are two way speakers. They fit in the lower door panels with an adapter. There is also a port near the pull handle of the door for a tweeter. I think its a 1.5 inch or something like that. So I had the two-way Infinitys installed in the lower door ports (front and rear) and someadditional tweeters installed near the pull handles on the front doors.

i think that brady is asking exactly what model of tweeter you had put in. and thanks for letting me know about the Infinitis. getting a 12v line through the firewall has proved to be difficult at best, so i am giving up on that for now, and going with replacing the cabin speakers.

Does anyone know how much power the Leg HU puts out? More than the WRX HU? I installed Infinity Reference speakers in my WRX (6.5 in the front, 5.25 in the rear), and they sounded underpowered.

oh, and Rimfaxe, can you give more specifics about the install? i'd like to call and order those speakers, but i need to know what adapter rings to ask for, and what speaker wire adapters they used. maybe last year's legacy wire adapters?

oh, and Rimfaxe, can you give more specifics about the install? i'd like to call and order those speakers, but i need to know what adapter rings to ask for, and what speaker wire adapters they used. maybe last year's legacy wire adapters?
I didn't witness the whole installation. I know that the speaker spacers were nothing special- I'm sure they made note of them when they measured the car. The entire interior door panel comes off to expose the speaker well. Looked pretty straightforward but I didn't see all the details- They measured and probed the car for about 4 hours. Call Crutchfield and ask to hook up with their corporate installer 'Wayne'

If you think about it, ask him about installing XM radio too- he said that they don't yet make an adapter for the HU/antenna connection. I'm really bummed about that one. He would have the details also on the exact tweeters they installed as well.

Rimfaxe

I havent heard the new McIntosh system cranked up in a sedan yet only the wagon, although it sounded a lot better than my current Subaru edition system in my current MY01 Legacy/Liberty 2.5. I would be interested in pulling the current base unit out and placing a pioneer base in the wheel well but havent done to much R&D on it yet. Helps if u have the car to play with first....

What does "really stink" mean? In what particular aspect are they inadequate?

Kevin

Sorry about that I should have been more specific. The base speakers in the 2.5i lack sorely in the bass department. At just a moderate volume I can hear them distoring. The highs are somewhat muddy, mid range is pretty good though.

I've got a set of polk audio speakers in my 04 impreza so I'm used to more "accurate" sound. My brother would like to achieve the same quality sound that I have, but the 6.1" speaker size makes it difficult to swap them out.

If anyone finds 6.1" speakers (component would be nice) or an adapter let me know.

As an update, Crutchfield now offers a fitment guide for the MY05 Legacy.

Basically, 6.5" speakers for the four doors and they include adapters to fit deeper sized speakers.

Front max depth w/ Crutchfield adapter = 2"

Rear max depth w/ Crutchfield adaper = 2.25"

All speakers are "perfect fit", including components for the rear door!, where do the tweeters go without modification? Of course if you click on "Others" it says that no component speakers are "best fit" anywhere. Also where do they mention adapters?

Hmmm.

If it requires an adapter, it will say so in the "install details" tab, and it definately will show up in your shopping cart (costs $14.99 but Crutchfield throws it in for free along with a wiring harness when you buy their speakers).

Basically, 6.5" speakers for the four doors and they include adapters to fit deeper sized speakers.

Front max depth w/ Crutchfield adapter = 2"

Rear max depth w/ Crutchfield adaper = 2.25"

Wow, that's quite a change from the 6.1" we were hearing these cars had. I'm much happier that they take a standar size.

Any ideas on using a component system w/tweeters?

Also, I believe the orange "P" icon means "professional" fit. Meaning your going to have to do some work. It mentions re-drilling the mounting holes on the speakers. Not a big deal for me, I've done it before.

The 05 legacy does have a grill where the OEM tweeters would go, so I imagine you'd just have to find a way to mount the component system tweeters to the steel behind the door panel (ie. drilling holes in your door)

Also, I believe the orange "P" icon means "professional" fit. Meaning your going to have to do some work. It mentions re-drilling the mounting holes on the speakers. Not a big deal for me, I've done it before.

The 05 legacy does have a grill where the OEM tweeters would go, so I imagine you'd just have to find a way to mount the component system tweeters to the steel behind the door panel (ie. drilling holes in your door)

No, "Perfect" as it says right next to the icon.. "m" is for modification.

05 legacy already has tweeters in the front, not the back. Look by the door handle.

No, "Perfect" as it says right next to the icon.. "m" is for modification.

05 legacy already has tweeters in the front, not the back. Look by the door handle.

So if there are already tweeters, is that going to make putting in new 6.5" speakers in the front a pain? I'm not the most advanced when it comes to car audio, sorry.

Would I be better of replacing the tweeters and 6.5" oem setup with a component setup?

I think components would work nicely up front if they were powered by an external amplifier. The wiring and tweeter fitment might be a little more difficult compared to a regular setup.

Pretty soon I'm going to open the doors up and see what size tweeters will fit in there and also what ohm rating the stockers are.

Rimfaxe mentioned that Crutchfield installed an aftermarket tweeter in his car. Maybe if we call Crutchfield they can tell us what size tweeters fit in the door handle area.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about getting these but I want to take a look inside the door panel first:

CDT Component

Model: CL-62

Frame diameter: 6 5/8" Mounting depth: 2 7/8" Mounting hole: 5 11/16" Enclosure sealed: .3cbf Designed for perfect performance in (infinite) well dampened stock door Locations.

I've got plenty of dynamat and I have heard good things about these speakers, so I might go for it for about $150 after I take a look at what I've got to work with.

Hey Th3Franz,

Where could I find those speakers for that price? TheZeb has the CL-61T with 3/4" tweeters for $150, but the CL-62's 1" tweeter probably fits the door mounts better.

Sounddomain has 15% off non-sale items, no CDT's though.

Archived