LegacyGT.com

Poor performance Hawk HPS pads-need help.

xxxPH4r40Hxxx

I did a few 60-20's. you should smell them.

If you didn't have fun bedding them in, you didn't do it right.

Great pedal feel, no squeal, no dust.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fixed

if you're bedding in the pads properly, they most definitely will be hot enough to cause problems if you come to a complete stop during the bed in process. after bedding in, you HAVE to drive around a bit to let them cool down.

This is important, years back with my first set of Ferro Carbon pads, I pulled into my driveway, the front end of the car was smoking, flames were visible behind my left front wheel. I had to grab a fire extinguisher. It was only a grease fire (wheel bearing grease that is)

I'm pretty surprised at all the bad reviews of HPS pads. Back when I had no suspension work on my car I was running HPS for track days and I run in the Advanced/Instructor group with hardly any fade or anything. I usually run HPS in the winter on my car and HP+ in the summer. We've installed HPS on all our customers cars over the years as a stock replacement pad and they all have nothing but praise for them. We do however properly bed them in for our customers and also do the brake flush every 2 years as required.

-mike

I think my problem is perception. The car is stopping just fine (I think), but it doesn't dip or snap my neck my neck. All Wheel Drive auto (my local shop) did the brake change and they said they bed the brakes in, but I suspect they didn't pound on them. I am pretty sure that they don't flush brake fluid with their service. I think that I am going to swap out the lines with SS/change the fluid.

I would like a BB kit, but don't want to spend the money as I think it is waste for my driving needs. That said, I will go that route if I don't get the results I want after changing out the lines and fluid.

Thanks!

I also do not understand the negative reviews for HPS pads. Got them on our Focus SVT with Centric rotors and they are awesome - a huge improvement over stock, and the SVT brakes were great to begin with.

I recently put the HPS pads with DBA slotted rotors on my Spec.B and they are also a huge improvement over stock. Pedal feel is somewhat improved, but not as good as on the SVT and far from an STI. The modulation is hugely improved over stock and so is the stopping power.

Do people associate the initial bite with the performance of the brakes? I personally don't care much for it at all. I want excellent stopping power and excellent modulation, and my setup gives me both. As an example, I have no trouble getting the ABS to stay on continuously when "emergency" stopping from 50 MPH down to zero. And this is with the not too crappy RE050A tires on dry pavement.

So people either expect too much bite or do not bed-in their brakes properly...

TR

Perfectly said: "So people either expect too much bite or do not bed-in their brakes properly..."

I think both apply to me! I was more or less looking for a sanity check and I know that the peeps on this forum would keep me from heading straight for the Prozac!

I would like a BB kit, but don't want to spend the money as I think it is waste for my driving needs. That said, I will go that route if I don't get the results I want after changing out the lines and fluid.

Thanks!

If your still unhappy with the performance of the HPS, I would give the HP+ a try. When I went out to bed them in I was with my buddy who helped me out with the install. He drives an STI and the first words out of his mouth were "Damn I like your brakes!"

A quick update as a follow-up to my earlier post. I just drove the SVT and the Spec.B back to back and the pedal feel on my Spec.B is now "better" than the SVT. Whatever that means, since it is hugely subjective...

My GF drives the SVT, so I have no previous history for how the HPS pads bed over time. I now have about 1200 miles on them in my Spec.B, and they are obviously still settling in, even though I followed the bedding in process to the letter.

Another note - when I said they are a huge improvement over stock, I was saying this in the context of a daily driver.

TR

so what a good pad w/ low dust/noise and bites better than hps? i have hps all around and was not impressed. may as well have gone stock and saved my money.

Here is the issue. There is always a trade off. As with everything in life or in the car-mod world, you can only hope for a balance. Up from the HPS are HP+, but with those come dust and squeal. This will be the case across the board for pads that are upgrades no matter what brand you try. There is no "shortcut" or "miracle" to modding unfortunately.

-mike

HPS is a huge improvement over stock with respect to likelihood of your rotors becoming "warped" (read this article to understand why I have "warp" in quotes: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml)

The overwhelming majority of LGT owners experience shaking/shuddering during braking with stock pads sometime during the lifetime of their vehicle. That's because the stock pads SUCK and will overheat and deposit pad material on your rotors very easily. Hitachi makes the stock pads, at least for the 2005. What? Hitachi? WTF? Yes, HITACHI....

HPS pads are significantly less likely to do so.

As far as pedal feel, it's a huge improvement for me. Those that don't think it's a huge improvement over stock... I dunno what to tell you. No, it won't snap your neck at the slightest touch of the pedal, but I truly feel that a good braking system shouldn't do that in the first place. Drive your car HARD with HPS pads, and then try stock. Your stock pads will give up waaaaay earlier, no contest.

Initial bite is NOT a good measurement of overall pad performance.

To recap:

1) The HPS pads will perform better for longer at higher temperatures (i.e. pad fade)

2) The HPS pads will be significantly less likely to leave uneven pad deposits (i.e. rotor warp)

3) The HPS pads DO improve pedal feel somewhat.

Here is the issue. There is always a trade off. As with everything in life or in the car-mod world, you can only hope for a balance. Up from the HPS are HP+, but with those come dust and squeal. This will be the case across the board for pads that are upgrades no matter what brand you try. There is no "shortcut" or "miracle" to modding unfortunately.

-mike

The silver bullet is a BBK, but that costs dough. Dough which would be better spent on other mods at this time ;) ...at least for this guy.

HPS is a huge improvement over stock with respect to likelihood of your rotors becoming "warped" (read this article to understand why I have "warp" in quotes: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml)

The overwhelming majority of LGT owners experience shaking/shuddering during braking with stock pads sometime during the lifetime of their vehicle. That's because the stock pads SUCK and will overheat and deposit pad material on your rotors very easily. Hitachi makes the stock pads, at least for the 2005. What? Hitachi? WTF? Yes, HITACHI....

HPS pads are significantly less likely to do so.

As far as pedal feel, it's a huge improvement for me. Those that don't think it's a huge improvement over stock... I dunno what to tell you. No, it won't snap your neck at the slightest touch of the pedal, but I truly feel that a good braking system shouldn't do that in the first place. Drive your car HARD with HPS pads, and then try stock. Your stock pads will give up waaaaay earlier, no contest.

Initial bite is NOT a good measurement of overall pad performance.

To recap:

1) The HPS pads will perform better for longer at higher temperatures (i.e. pad fade)

2) The HPS pads will be significantly less likely to leave uneven pad deposits (i.e. rotor warp)

3) The HPS pads DO improve pedal feel somewhat.

Ok, I hear you loud and clear. :spin:

I'll bite bullet and stay with the current setup. Changing out the rears this month, plus adding some overpriced SS lines. I think this will give me the best bang for the buck. This is a daily driver. If I were tracking this thing, then I'd go big.

Has anyone messed around with the StopTech street performance pads? I'm picking up a set of front and rears, majority of the time that car is a DD. From what I've seen, they aren't bad and are a bit cheaper than the Hawks. Would you compare them to the HPS or HP+?
:yeahthat:

Has anyone messed around with the StopTech street performance pads? I'm picking up a set of front and rears, majority of the time that car is a DD. From what I've seen, they aren't bad and are a bit cheaper than the Hawks. Would you compare them to the HPS or HP+?

+1. Anybody use HPS and StopTechs back to back? I'd love to hear some comparisons between the two from someone who's tried out both.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Why are you adding overpriced SS Lines? They are pretty inexpensive for our cars.

-mike

Agreed, I picked up a set of Goodridge lines for $148. You can get a set of Techna fit for around $115. I'm sure you can find cheaper than that also.

I bedded in a set of the Stoptechs. Seem to be a hair below the HPS.

-mike

I can deal with a hair below for $30 cheaper. lol

:yeahthat:

Has anyone messed around with the StopTech street performance pads?

I assume, judging by price that the Centric Posi-Quiet would be a step below the StopTech street performance. As I recall, the descriptions for both of these are supposed to dust less but of course they don't say what their comparisons are.

Posi-quiet are probably at or below stock level.

On the Stoptechs, I'm not sure how they would compare in terms of longevity and if the initial observations will carry throughout the life of the pads. I don't have enough experience with them to make that kind of judgement call.

The HPS we've been installing for close to 10 years, so we have a lot of data and feedback on them.

-mike

+1. Anybody use HPS and StopTechs back to back? I'd love to hear some comparisons between the two from someone who's tried out both.

Yes I just did 3 months ago. Wanted to try StopTech to see if they are any better than Hawks HPS, plus they cost about $25 bucks less. With in 3 months now I've had to turn my rotor once and I'm about to have them turned again. StopTech is just not a good brake pad if you're look for better than OEM. Get use to having your rotors turned or replaced often.

StopTech Review as compared to Hawk HPS

Initial bite - poor

Cold braking - Fair

Warm braking - Good

Pedel feel - Fair

Sound - None, very quiet

Dust - Very Poor, they will cover your wheels right after you wash them.

Fadding - Fair to good once brakes are warm

Final thoughts, StopTech is the same as OEM, and I wouldn't use them in an AutoX or track. They don't give me the overall feel under heavy braking that I would get from Hawks. Hawk HPS is still, IMO, a better brake pad for just about every application.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived