LegacyGT.com

Poor performance Hawk HPS pads-need help.

xxxPH4r40Hxxx

now i have pepboys brand pro stop rotors and ceramic pads all around. couldnt be happier. no noise, no dust and no weird quirks of a fancy brake pad and i got them at a really good price with a life time warranty. cant beat that

I was looking on the Pep Boys web site yesterday and found the ceramic pads. I didn't see rotors with a lifetime warranty, only the pads. Are the rotors you got the <$25 ones that are made by Pro Stop?

I also noted that Hawk has ceramic pads that are priced between the HPS and the HP+. Any reason these haven't been mentioned by participants in this thread or is there a specific reason not to use these?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I

I also noted that Hawk has ceramic pads that are priced between the HPS and the HP+. Any reason these haven't been mentioned by participants in this thread or is there a specific reason not to use these?

The Hawk Heavy Duty pads work great, it is the only pad that could stop my V-8 1995 Grand Cherokee (11" rotors!!) from 80-mph without having to stand on the pedal with both feet.

Noticably more dust and grinding noise than LTS, but worth it for the much higher initial bite when cold.

I also had Hawk Ceramic's on my 05LGT and they work good enough alot of dust and squeaking, I had them on slotted and drilled rotors.

I have Hps F/R and am happy, this is an 08LGT, a step up from OEM. If u want go with S/S brake lines, that might give u the response ur lookin for.

D $

The Hawk Heavy Duty pads work great,

Noticably more dust and grinding noise than LTS, but worth it for the much higher initial bite when cold.

Curious how the marketing information and descriptions on a lot of the pads mentioned in this discussion claim low dust but dusting seems to be a common byproduct. Makes me think of something I heard at the lumber yard one day...if there's a specific claim by a product not to do something then it's likely that you'll experience that exact condition in using the product.

Is it generally true that ceramic pads will dust less than a comparable non-ceramic? In other words, in this discussion it seems that people have experienced less dust with the Hawk HPS than the HP+. In a relative sense might the Hawk ceramics dust less than the HPS? I keep coming back to what Meier Motor Sports said about the Pep Boys ceramic pads and am thinking that for a DD and considering the price difference and warranty it might be worth giving them a try with a set of new Centric Premium rotors.

• 1 month later...
About a month ago I had my car in for its timing belt change and as expected was told again that I needed to do my front brakes, this time, ASAP so I got on the stick and ordered my Centric Premium rotors from KNB (ordered the rears as well to make the deal better for both of us because Ken price matched). On the review of meier motor sports I decided to try out the Pep Boys ProStop ceramics. It's hard for me to compare because my old rotors were badly rusted and the inner pads/rotors were badly grooved but I'm very pleased with the results, especially for the money. I did take it out and bed in the pads and definitely was getting fade after a mile or so of rev and slow and a pretty steep downhill but I guess that's to be expected. I checked the other day and I am getting some dusting but it doesn't seem too bad. No noise at all. I missed picking up my rear pads for <$11 at the sale last Friday morning at Pep Boys.

Ok , I have both, The HPS pads feel less abrasive and a lil soft but at higher temps would fade easier, I currently running the stoptech pads with brembos and apm J hooked rotors, and stoptech are better when there hot and pushed to limit. There dustier like the HP+ but these pads dont crap on your rotors as much (leaving deposits on them). The HPS seem to leave more deposits on rotors making them feel like there warped, having to rebeed the pads more often.

So what ive learned

Stock pads should be on recall

HPS , 15% better than stock, Replacement pad, less dust and better heat tolerance

HP+, I love em , great initial bite, about 50% better than stock but squeaky some times thru drive thru

Stoptech, A happy medium,at about 40% better, but pads feel more abrasive(maybe because of J hook rotors, but bite like HP+ when hot. Just as dusty

About a month ago I had my car in for its timing belt change and as expected was told again that I needed to do my front brakes, this time, ASAP so I got on the stick and ordered my Centric Premium rotors from KNB (ordered the rears as well to make the deal better for both of us because Ken price matched). On the review of meier motor sports I decided to try out the Pep Boys ProStop ceramics. It's hard for me to compare because my old rotors were badly rusted and the inner pads/rotors were badly grooved but I'm very pleased with the results, especially for the money. I did take it out and bed in the pads and definitely was getting fade after a mile or so of rev and slow and a pretty steep downhill but I guess that's to be expected. I checked the other day and I am getting some dusting but it doesn't seem too bad. No noise at all. I missed picking up my rear pads for <$11 at the sale last Friday morning at Pep Boys.

glad i could be of help. a quality brake pad is all most people need. going to a "high performance" part is not always the best route.

Centric rotors and HP+ pads are the bomb... yes there is some squeak and dust for sure but a lot less (squeak) since I actually followed subarus instructions and put some brake grease on the clips as well.

Centric rotors and HP+ pads are the bomb... yes there is some squeak and dust for sure but a lot less (squeak) since I actually followed subarus instructions and put some brake grease on the clips as well.

That's my DD and track setup, love it on my stock powered car...

-mike

Im running the HP+ on stop tech power slots, and I love the set up as well.

as darkside said... you get some squeak going through the drive through... and rolling up to stop signs. but i can deal with the squeak for the performance. even with my winter tires on I still love em

Was driving with my buddy who has an STI and he was even impressed with their stopping power compared to his brembros....

but they dust like a mofo gotta wash your wheels every few days if you want to keep them clean... mine look like they are powder coated a deep maroon/charcoal right now

Dunno - I've run HPS pads (F & R) since ~60K miles on stock rotors and I'm at ~107K now, still stock rotors and the HPS are at 50% Front and 75% Rear. They've never faded even in the SoCal mountains and towing, so they've earned their keep. Brake dust is minimal so that's another plus.

I've heard good things about the Stoptechs, and will consider this when it gets time to change out the HPS. Not sure what rotor I'll go with, but longevity is my goal, so the jury is still out on that one IMO. Like so many other things, YMMV.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^ That's an interesting combo. How's the squeal from the rears?

No squeal. Just dust. Plenty of dust on the rear rims. And you do feel, in an emergency stop, that the rears lock first - or maybe I should not say that - I should say that it brakes less dramatically, with less of a nose dive. More evenly. More controlled (to me). I like the combo, as I said.

• 2 months later...

I was hearing a clunk and when driving slow enough, what felt like a quick stab at the brakes. Not on take off but a second or two after. I thought it might be tranny or parking brake related but I decided to check the rear brakes out.

These are the Hawk HPS that I just took off. They've been on for 3 yrs and 60% pad left but not much rotor. On another note, I don't think the pad material is matched for the stock rotor. I'd rather replace pads than rotors but fortunately I'm going to brembos in the rear. Unfortunately I had to by a cheap set until I get my rear adapters and parking shoes.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/al-gorithm/IMG00232-20110215-1319.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/al-gorithm/IMG00233-20110215-1319.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/al-gorithm/IMG00234-20110215-1319.jpg

Hawk HPS = Stock pads.

HP + or better yet --> Carbotech Bobcats, Project Mu, or Stoptech.

I don't see why so many people have bought into the Hawk HPS thinking they will be an improvement over stock only to spend money on another upgrade well before the HPS's are cashed in.

Interesting, we've been installing them on customer cars for almost 10 years and they are an improvement over stock on all 300+ cars we've installed them on. They are a great stock pad alternative. Yes they aren't as good as HP+ or the others but those at the HP+ level come with downsides (noise, dust, etc).

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived