LegacyGT.com

Second Gen. Aftermarket Parts and Upgrade Guide (Superceded)

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that car has coilovers, i could probably get the 225/45 under there without much trouble, the tread width at 225 is about 8.5" which is only 1/2" hanging on either side of the wheel. with stock struts on my 96 GT and the 16"wrx wheels i couldnt get the 225/50 on there without spacers. 10mm spacer worked great tho, kept the tire away from the strut. right now it has 215/50/16 on it, and it worked on the 95 wagon, the GT and the 99 forester. the forester looked like it skipped leg day tho

I got the headers from Speedy in the opening post.

Um, they are crap. Pretty much the worst product I've bought in years.

Every weld leaks water. It leaks so fast I can't even manage to fill it with a measuring cup. The welds also look like they were done by a blindfolded drunk chimpanze. The ones I can see the back of over penetrate so bad there are 1/8 protrusions into the flow section.

The tubing is made from two different kinds of stainless as indicated by some sections being nearly totally non-magnetic (the straight bits), and others being strongly magnetic (the bends). Pretty much a gaurantee of cracking pretty soon, and the flanges are chrome plated mild steel with very strong magnetism and even showing, where they ground down some of the worst welds, the copper pre-coat to get the chrome to stick.

I haven't tried them for fitment, but I did stick a straight edge on them and both head flanges are about 1/8 inch out of true across the width of the flange, so there is pretty much zero chance of them sealing up.

I'm pretty stunned. I guess I'll have to try to send them back. Until I found out about the dissimilar metals I was thinking I'll cut them up and reman them myself to be straight and tight, but no point.

Edited by doublechaz

Okay honestly where can I buy something such as jdm headlights or fog lights for a legacy gt. I want to buy the lighting all the way around eventually and also want some heated cloth seats but I can't find them anywhere online, any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
I do have a quick question on the transmission mounts, are they motor specific or anything? I have a 99 Legacy Brighton wagon and was thinking about getting the mounts. I guess a more broad question is will most of these (besides the header) fit my 2.2 legacy? I'm not sure of any changes between 2.2 and 2.5 powered Leggys in particular 😐

I do have a quick question on the transmission mounts, are they motor specific or anything? I have a 99 Legacy Brighton wagon and was thinking about getting the mounts. I guess a more broad question is will most of these (besides the header) fit my 2.2 legacy? I'm not sure of any changes between 2.2 and 2.5 powered Leggys in particular ��

I'm only familiar with the 2.5 engines but as far as I know most things swap right over, the transmsissions I think depend on if it's an auto or a manual and what kind of drive ratios they have. As you know the uel headers only work if you have dual exhuast ports coming out of the heads. Other then that i think everything should swap over but somebody else here might have some better knowledge than myself

I would imagine the transmission mounts should be the same, I got group N transmission and engine mounts to help hold things in place and make it a little stiffer

Edited by Dalee1104

Just an FYI - I just made a 400 mile trip in my 1998 LGT (BD5MT) and with hardened Group N engine and transmission mounts, the "buzz" in the steering wheel and the shifter was pretty apparent. Thinking of going back to the stock engine mounts.

As Dalee mentioned, UEL headers, which don't make sense because they gain "burble" at the expense of true power, require dual-port heads. If built after April 1999, your 99 2.2L is a Phase II engine and, IIRC, they are single-port heads. Phase II engines have different sensors, intake manifolds, Intake Air Control (IAC) and other differences v-a-v older Phase I 2.2L and even the Phase I & II 2.5L SOHCs.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just an FYI - I just made a 400 mile trip in my 1998 LGT (BD5MT) and with hardened Group N engine and transmission mounts, the "buzz" in the steering wheel and the shifter was pretty apparent. Thinking of going back to the stock engine mounts.

As Dalee mentioned, UEL headers, which don't make sense because they gain "burble" at the expense of true power, require dual-port heads. If built after April 1999, your 99 2.2L is a Phase II engine and, IIRC, they are single-port heads. Phase II engines have different sensors, intake manifolds, Intake Air Control (IAC) and other differences v-a-v older Phase I 2.2L and even the Phase I & II 2.5L SOHCs.

They make single-port UEL headers, but they sound like garbage. For a true dual port exhaust setup on the 99 2.2, swap over heads from a 2000+ EJ251. They're direct fit on the EJ222, only the matching dual port exhaust manifold is needed, or UEL headers. A friend of mine just did it on his EJ222.

• 3 months later...
Those don't look exactly like the ones I have, but if the runner holes are the right distance apart and the bolt holes are in the right place it should work. You could get the regular gaskets and see if they look the same before you buy these. You'll want two sets of the regular gaskets once you go to do this. Also, I heard a rumor that if you use these with the coil upgrade the hood won't close. I don't know for sure on that one.

• 9 months later...