LegacyGT.com

Turn signals from hell

So like a fool, when I bought a 1990 subaru legacy, I forgot to check the turn signals. Everything else worked well and it was cheap, so I didn't notice until I got home from the dealership.

Consulting my girlfriend's Idiot/Savant mechanic brother, we weren't able to actually pin it down to anything.

Here's the issue:

Turn signals, and Hazards don't work, but the running lights do (same lights, I dont get it). Everything else is fine.

I replaced all the fuses, nothing. Replaced the bulbs, nothing. I replaced the relay behind the glove box, still nothing. He says he thinks its a problem with the switch on the steering column, but I'm not entirely sure.

Either way, what I need help with is bypassing the column switch, and rigging it up to two toggle switches so I can just click them on and off. Finding wiring diagrams on the internet seems to be an ungodly bitch, and I don't have the time, money, or inclination to pay someone else to do this. I'd have replaced the switch, but I need a puller to take off the steering wheel to get to the switch, so to hell with that.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out.

My own brother knows how and says he's going to help me, but he's extremely flakey and I'm not going to depend on him.

Real quick, what color are the wires that I need to work with?

(And if this sounds like something other than the switch or the relay or anything I've mentioned, then by all means, enlighten me.)

Thx

Yeah, I've checked the flashers, and replaced everything there from the working ones on my other two subarus.

Like the actual Hazard switch with the red triangle on it? Or are you referring to something else? (That seems remarkably easy).

So like a fool, when I bought a 1990 subaru legacy, I forgot to check the turn signals. Everything else worked well and it was cheap, so I didn't notice until I got home from the dealership.

Consulting my girlfriend's Idiot/Savant mechanic brother, we weren't able to actually pin it down to anything.

Here's the issue:

Turn signals, and Hazards don't work, but the running lights do (same lights, I dont get it). Everything else is fine.

I replaced all the fuses, nothing. Replaced the bulbs, nothing. I replaced the relay behind the glove box, still nothing. He says he thinks its a problem with the switch on the steering column, but I'm not entirely sure.

Either way, what I need help with is bypassing the column switch, and rigging it up to two toggle switches so I can just click them on and off. Finding wiring diagrams on the internet seems to be an ungodly bitch, and I don't have the time, money, or inclination to pay someone else to do this. I'd have replaced the switch, but I need a puller to take off the steering wheel to get to the switch, so to hell with that.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out.

My own brother knows how and says he's going to help me, but he's extremely flakey and I'm not going to depend on him.

Real quick, what color are the wires that I need to work with?

(And if this sounds like something other than the switch or the relay or anything I've mentioned, then by all means, enlighten me.)

Thx

I hope you figure this out, and stick around the site for a long time. This was one of the best written and most entertaining first posts I've seen here.:cool:

Yes the actual triangle hazard switch. I did the same thing as baddog

HOREY SHET!!

Thanks dude! I still had the glove box off from trying to replace the relay, so I reached up near the hazard light and pulled out a free hanging bundle of wires. Ripped apart the dash, and it went to the hazards!

Thank you, dude!

Now I just need to solve the problem of having a shitty car!

"Well the turn signals on the 90 Legacy were on the underside of the front bumper, not the sides. The sides were just running lights."

Um, no? I have 3 of them. I'm looking out the window at one right now. I'm not even sure the wire crosses under the bumper. That and I fixed the problem I was talking about using Baddog/subikid's advice. The lights that blink are on the outer sides of the headlights, and are the same as the running lights.

• 1 year later...
ha that just happened to me. i have a turbo bumper on my 90 LS and i cut the running light and turn signal connectors and basically switched them to have the fogs run as running lights and turn signals are actually my corner lights now.. only problem with this is the corner bulb doesn't come in amber so its some what hard to see during the day. and as of now since the gauge of wire is different the turn signal blinks fast like it is shorted but still works fine till i actually feel like switching the gauge of wire. in my opinion front blinkers don't matter anyway

check to make sure the bulbs are dual element. or single element (im not sure about your guys' year)

say you need a dual element bulb and buy a replacement single element bulb, everything goes to hell, some things function, some dont. ask me how i know

id ask how u know but im having trouble looking away from your avatar...^^^

Um, no? I have 3 of them. I'm looking out the window at one right now. I'm not even sure the wire crosses under the bumper. That and I fixed the problem I was talking about using Baddog/subikid's advice. The lights that blink are on the outer sides of the headlights, and are the same as the running lights.

89-91 turn signals are on the bottom. lights next to the headlights are just running lights. nothing more unless someone wired them to be turn signals.

• 3 years later...

So apparently the world has fewer flavors of idiot than I had thought. I did exactly the same thing - neglected to reconnect my hazard switch after pulling the dash. Then I thought my front blinkers weren't working because I just forgot that they were tucked so far underneath the bumper... When you're just peeking around the car to see if the lights are working they're hidden under there... d'oh!

Thanks for getting me through my senior moment in time to run my errands...

Archived