LegacyGT.com

Help please - Hood won't stay close

Duker

I was driving home today on the highway in pretty windy conditions, and after about 10 minutes of driving (doing about 110Km/Hr) my hood released.

It didn't flip up, but it un-latched itself and was flapping up and down in the wind. I pulled off to the side of the road to re-close it and just shoved it back down. But I did notice it was quite hard to fully close it, I had to press down quite hard.

I guess my hood scoop was scooping too much air?

Has anyone else had this problem on their 05 LGT?

I don't want this to happen again, not only is it dangerous, it's annoying!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

there are adjustment knobs for your hood level on both sides. you'll see them at the front where the edge of the hood comes down. they're right near the headlights. try playing with those a bit if necessary.

there are adjustment knobs for your hood level on both sides. you'll see them at the front where the edge of the hood comes down. they're right near the headlights. try playing with those a bit if necessary.

Wow I never knew that heh. I'm definitely gonna fiddle with these tomorrow, because my hood has been sitting a bit low.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Clean the latch mechanism. This same problem happened to me during the winter months. I think to much road salt and dirt was getting in through my grill. I cleaned the latch very good and lubricated the mechanism and I haven't had a problem with it since.

• 1 year later...

thread revival from the dead !!

i was putting away my block heater cord today when the hood wouldn't close again, came across this thread and it worked like a charm. threw some pb blaster on that latch and hit the release switch a few times and it started working again. def with the temps dropping and sand/salt on the roads i think it just got frozen up. thanks for the suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Chalk me up for another one who has had issues getting the hood to close.

Since I didn't know what the hell PB Blaster was or where to get it, I went with the straight up WD-40 spray. Pulled the hood latch a few times, sprayed again, now the hood actually closes.

Was fun driving to work this morning, after needing a jump start because I'm smart and like to leave the dome light on overnight, hood shaking mercilessly at speeds above 40 MPH. I stayed behind slow cars and didn't speed. It turned my 35 minute drive into a 58 minute one. Sprayed WD-40 on it over lunch time. Boom. Done. Fixed. **** yeah.

This just started happening to my LGT. Sprayed the hell out of it with WD-40, but its still doing it. Wondering if I need to make a mechanical adjustment now. I guess I'll find out when I install the new FMIC and radiator.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
I'd never heard of this PB Blaster before. Is it really much better than regular spray oil?

I've never used anything else for this task, but the PB is a "penetrating catalyst" (their words) as well as kind of a lubricant. Here in NH I thought that might help free it up better since everything turns to rust. You can pick it up at most hardware stores.

I'd never heard of this PB Blaster before. Is it really much better than regular spray oil?

In a word, yes. In my experience, it does a much better job of penetrating and loosening rusted/stuck parts than anything else. I learned about it from a buddy several years ago and have kept a can or two on hand ever since because of how well it performs.

-Bob

• 3 years later...

Same problem, same solution. I noticed on the way to work that my hood was bouncing. I sprayed it with an electrical contact cleaner, then with a WD40 Silicon spray (all that I had at work), and it latched. All at 10 degrees F in biting wind of course.

I'll hit it with PB Blaster when I get home.

PB Blaster will help clean the latch mechanism so it can move more freely but after that you might want to use a heavier lubricant, something like white lithium grease from the spray can. That worked for me, anyway.

• 7 months later...

Archived