LegacyGT.com

Summer tires in the Winter?

I ran summer tires on my car for 1 day. I didn't make it out of my apartment complex. Tried to make the first turn real slow... car went straight.... now i ride around with a slightly bent strut and lower control arm on the right side.... lesson learned. I bought winter tires that day

Consumer Reports is the only way to go. I would never cross-reference and check with multiple sources like personal accounts or detailed reviews.

I only buy things that get good reviews in CR. That's why I bought my LGT.

Funny you say that considering that CR listed both the 05 and 08 LGT on their list of "used cars to avoid" . http://home.comcast.net/~apexigsx/avoid.jpg

I ran the stock Summer tires the first winter and it was unsafe at best. Two inches of snow made it a big task to get the car from 0 to say 15 miles an hour. Leave at least 15 car lengths at speeds of even 15 miles an hour. Brake only with the engine and you will be okay. I did a 270 on SB I-355 going about 30ish, the car just fish tailed no gas no brake, hit no one and nothing thankfully. Got snow tires and winter wheels that evening.

For the new ride just got myself an extra set of brandnew 17" Impreza 2010 wheels, including new snowtires.

I have driven AWD for twelve years now, and apart from having a lot of fun in snow, also had my 'moments'.

One would think, well AWD, what can happen eh? :cool:

Traction & braking however is not the biggest issue really, one could simply keep a very big distance to all others.

Of course wintertyres also have a massive advantage in traction on snow, no doubt.

But steering-grip is the magic word, the major mother of all 'snow f#ck-ups'

Everybody knows the 'AWD summertires on snow' experience:

-Waiting for a T-junction on snow.

-Turning the steeringwheel (for example) anti-clockwise, to go to the left.

-Hit the throttle véry gently..

-And straight ahead you go......:eek:

The front wheels have no steering-grip, but the back still has enough grip to push you forward, no problem.

This would never happen with an FWD and even a RWD will give more control.

So instead of what a lot of people think, especially an AWD cannot do without snowtyres under very slippery conditions. (Snow and ice)

Traction is one thing, but without steering-grip everything comes to an end.

'Power is....eh....'Traction is nothing without control!'

Funny you say that considering that CR listed both the 05 and 08 LGT on their list of "used cars to avoid" . http://home.comcast.net/~apexigsx/avoid.jpg

I guess my sarcasm was missed in that post. I was trying to point out how some review sites/mags/people have biases, so its always good to cross-reference and check multiple sources before making a decision. Especially a decision that involves your safety and the safety of others, such as which tires to run in "dangerous" weather like snow and ice.

It's cool; I'm with the band

I guess my sarcasm was missed in that post. I was trying to point out how some review sites/mags/people have biases, so its always good to cross-reference and check multiple sources before making a decision. Especially a decision that involves your safety and the safety of others, such as which tires to run in "dangerous" weather like snow and ice.

Yeah sorry man, my sarcasm meter is off today. I cracked a rib AND put a tooth through my face on Saturday, so haven't been in the greatest mood lately. I knew you were smarter than that ;).

Do like I do and just drive SLOW!!!!!! They suck in the winter. Yoko s-drives...Great summer tires... I had some siped ADVAN's (before the s-drives came out) in the last Subie, didnt matter... you stop and start SLOW.... leave extra room, LOTS of it, ( Still she was driving and got where Jeeps could not go, up a hill and motor homes were rolling off on the ice, our Subie got her there on summer tires), got me a wagon too, and it is SLOW in the winter... albeit, it can rev fast! sounds like a Itilaian car... if you know what I mean on (stage 2 though....) thinking about going the HOGZILLA thing next, if the wife will let me. BE CAREFUL!!! Boost will cause you pain!

^ Personally, I'd rather not stress myself out and shit my pants after every close call on summer tires.

OP, at the very very least, pick up a set of ultra-high performance all seasons and save yourself from headache and misery. I personally run the Continental ExtremeContact DWSs and they performed admirably last winter.

They seem to be cheap, too, compared to the others:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=145WR7ECDWSXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Legacy%20Wagon%202.5%20GT&autoModClar=Base%20Model

I paid around ~$600 installed for my set last November.

List of the other ultra-high performance all-seasons:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=215/&ratio=45&diameter=17&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Legacy%20Wagon%202.5%20GT&autoModClar=Base%20Model&sortCode=49500&tireIndex=0

And I still stand by my previous statement:

You're putting yourself, your passengers and other drivers at risk.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Archived