LegacyGT.com

What performance upgrades dont void warrenty

anything spt.

You might be surprised.

Krzys

- and -

Tell that to GodwhomisMike and his broken SPT exhaust and subsequent warranty threats from the dealer.:lol:

Exactly.

If you're using SPT components, you'd best be *damned* sure that you're using it for-specific-application-only - and not cross-applying, which was what happened to brother GWIM (REF: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/buyer-beware-install-spt-exhaust-your-09-fxt-your-own-risk-70030/).

And even then, if anything does go wrong, you'd best be sure that you've not got anything else on the car that can even remotely be blamed for the problem you're seeing.

tire's

^ So, that brings a question....

What if you bring the car into the dealership, with a broken/bent rear anti-sway bar mounting bracket, and they notice you've got, say, a set of Dunlop StarSpecs on there?

Can't they well argue that the extra-sticky tire managed to cause your suspension problem, due to the fact that it generated extra stress on the concerned areas?' :confused::spin:

Truthfully, brudl73, you've gotta take the stance of this being a big-boy/big-girls' game. It's pay-to-play.

While laws such as the MMA helps to protect consumers (in the US), the truth of the matter is that even if you wanted to take them to court, even if you won your case, did you really and truly "win?"

How much down-time did you have, in pursuing the case? How much out-of-pocket did you have to pay for repairs, legal fees, etc.? How much psychic energy did you spend, worrying about the issue and pursuing it over the phone, e-mails, texts, or in-person?

I've actually had friends and acquaintances win such cases, in the courts.

Almost to-a-person, they'll say that it's not worth it.

If you're worried about your warranty, just don't mod.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I need a list for this. I just got a fresh extended warranty and dont want to do anything stupid to viod it. I have read a post where the dealership confermed that removing the intake silencer doesnt void the warranty. Well not really a performance mod but you can hear the turbo now.

I need a list for this. I just got a fresh extended warranty and dont want to do anything stupid to viod it. I have read a post where the dealership confermed that removing the intake silencer doesnt void the warranty. Well not really a performance mod but you can hear the turbo now.

The dealership can't "void" anything - they can refuse you warranty service, but they can't "void." That's up to SoA.

Since you're worried about your warranty, I'd get that from them, in-writing, and then get SoA to verify.

We've seen, repeatedly, cases of the dealer/service department claiming one thing or the other, only for SoA to say otherwise.

If you want to play things this way, take every precaution.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ I was hoping that you'd join the thread, as you have a unique insight. :)

That's a very good comment and it should be expanded upon - a more precise way of saying it would be that there are "mod friendly" dealerships, and there are those that are less-so....

As an enthusiast, one can typically check with their local/regional hobbyist clubs to see if there are known "mod friendly" dealerships/service departments in their area, and also which ones to avoid, in the same manner.

Mod-friendly dealership service departments may completely disregard "reasonable" modifications (some go so far as "Stage II"/stock-turbo), but it's nearly a guaranty that almost all that fit that description will work with the vehicle owner to honestly/fairly assess damages as well as warranty service.

There's simply no way of otherwise knowing if your area dealerships are mod-friendly - this is not something that you can trust to the dealership personnel to tell you, straight up, unless they can point to a full bay of modified Subarus and tout a lineup of service techs and managers who are known figures in the local "tuner" scene. A non-mod friendly dealership can literally make a modified-car's owner's life a total nightmare, and let's face it, can you really assume that the dealership trying to earn your business with either a purchase or who sees you as a potential repeat-money customer in their service bay? ;)

Instead, check with your local hobbyist/enthusiast clubs to see what's the truth, as it exists "on the streets." There's no reason why any Subaru enthusiast would lie to another. :)

• 2 months later...

Archived