LegacyGT.com

Are You Happy With Your Legacy? (Long Rant Inside)

1. all your brake problems= you beating the piss out of the thing. you said it your self that you drive "hard". you wanna play? you gotta pay. if you dont want problems, drive the car normal.

2. german cars suck. i am a natural born german. my grandparents both worked for VW and retired from the plant. I pulled wrench now for 16 years, and the only time I cringe, is when it's time to work on some German units. Backwards engineered rubbish.

(Porsche is another league.)

3. Did anybody see the mag article where they compared the WRX, Evo, MS3, and GTI? The GTI was the biggest POS with the biggest price tag and least performance numbers. And it won the shootout because it had the nicest interior. Which is subjective. The Suby vastly outperformed all.

4. In the long run, if you arent happy with your unit. You should get something else.

5. Insurance for all Subarus are incredibly high. KNow what the #1 most ticketed-for-speeding car is? Outback wagon. That and WRXs are becoming cheaper and kids think they are invincible because they are AWD, and they saw Block, and they wrap them around trees. I 'know of' 3 fatal WRX accidents in a 50 mile radius of me from excessive speed or "failed to negotiate the turn".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21 yo and expectation level is what tipped it for me.

I grew up around great cars. My parents have had 6 Audis going back to a Fox GTI (yeah, look that up) through A6s and A4s, a series of Japanese rides (the 240z's were great), and currently drive a 335xi and S2000. I played in a 68 Jag E-Type dead in the garage. Rode in my dad's 68 GT350 and 2002 tii when I was little. My first car was an 84 GTI...

The long and short of it is all cars have problems, no matter where they are from or how much they cost. I loved all these cars, but you have to expect things to break, that's life. If a car is fun to drive, then have fun. Chalk up the repairs to the price of a good time.

dude, I have a 08 with 78k miles, and just have 4 injectors, fuel pumps, V-belt, alternator and battery replaced... when car gets old, they breaks down. My car now has 24mpg, and runs great, I got compliments from many people. I never have problem with the rotors, I do have seat squeak and mysterious clunk under the car when it's cold. Well, that's pretty common on our legacy.

Back to your European car thread, I would never spend money on a BMW, it's just a fancy (piece of crap) car. I dont need the damn solid "thud" door closing sound! All I need is a affordable good looking car with power and AWD. 30k for a leggy is very hard to beat, you pay for what you get so unless you'r willing to pay another 20k, I dont think there is anything you should complain about...

May be you'r just out of the world and only drive those luxury Euro type of car? Legacy is way too luxury for me already...

My next car will be the mighty GTR if I graduate and make 200k per year :eek:

Dude I went from an STI that had issues to a 2.5i leggy. I love and miss that Truck brake sounding, strut clunkin, not starting for a month, banjo bolt breaking SOB for the life of me. I just think the STI is such a cool looking decent quick car, there is just something about it when I drove my Stg 2. I did not care if it was the fastest, but people looked in aww when they saw it and when I would boost past them like a striped ape.

The problem is people dont love car's like they did back on the 50-60. They bought a stang and a camaro and that was it, they loved it an worked on it. These days I dont see how people can trade in there car every 3 years or so cause they are tired of it. I have driven and paid for all my car's and once they were paid for I sold them, they olny car was my STI I got more then what I paid for it and they paid it off.

I have noise, and cray things that happen to my legacy but I dont care. In snow and rain the car has not let me down.

+1.

As soon as I saw the OP's avatar, I thought "hey this is the VW fan who hates his Legacy and posts weekly about how awful it is."

Sell it to someone else, and get yourself back in to a new GTi.

+2,,,,,,,,,,,,and don't go away mad,,just go away.:p

I had a '01 GTI vr6 and it was a decent car. VW's have there own issues to deal with. I liked the car but both of my windows fell into the doors at different times, MAF sensor went bad, $10 sensor that takes 3 hrs to replace, bad coil pack, clutch was done at 70k. I traded it into the dealer and I new the kid that bought it and he had to replace 3 fuel injectors and then some. They are electrical pains in the ace!

My Legacy has been good to me so far. (14 months) No major problems (knock on wood) All cars have there own issues. Some worse than others. If you hate your LGT so much sell it and go back to your German roots. Bitching about how much you hate your car to a bunch of people that like/love there LGT is a loosing battle and pointless.

I understand where you're coming from RJS. I love my car. I don't have all of the rattles you have (yet :lol:), but I do have some. I have some other issues that you do, too.

But what really grinds my gears -- are just the poor quality parts (or just flat out poorly designed) that the car has. Wheel corrosion before 15K miles, LCA bushings tearing before 30K, PCV replacements at 30K!!!, it just is frustrating. It's even more frustrating when you hear horror stories of failed pickups, TOBs, and other mechanical failures.

I mean Subaru does sell a decent amount of cars, and I'm sure not everyone has these serious issues. Most likely, we are aware of them because people who DO have the problem come here and talk about it. Everyone else is fine and dandy.

It's just a pain having to spend money on a quality part because Subaru didn't properly design it in the first place.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Beyond happy. The best $24k spent for a brand new 2005 LGT wagon 5mt.

We have 90k and have not balked at new pads at 40k and 86k and a front caliper ($180 aftermarket). Also machined rotors twice. Currently at least two of the wheel bearings (rear) have likely failed. Still :) everyday.

I got my 2007, Legacy 2.5I SE for $20K back in 2007, brand new. For that kind of money it's hard to whine about little things, but here are a few things I've found. I've got 75K miles on it too.

-I think the armrest is too weak in terms of plastic thickness. I've already cracked mine.

-The drivers seat squeaks a lot now when getting in/out.

-The low beam lights burn out too quickly.

-The stereo setup really stinks in my book. My stock Mitsu Evo had a way better stereo than this and it was stock trim.

I got my 2007, Legacy 2.5I SE for $20K back in 2007, brand new. For that kind of money it's hard to whine about little things, but here are a few things I've found. I've got 75K miles on it too.

-I think the armrest is too weak in terms of plastic thickness. I've already cracked mine.

-The drivers seat squeaks a lot now when getting in/out.

-The low beam lights burn out too quickly.

-The stereo setup really stinks in my book. My stock Mitsu Evo had a way better stereo than this and it was stock trim.

and how much u paid for the evo compare to the 2.5i, may I ask?

I know how you feel.

I had an Evo 8 and it was totaled in an accident. High school kid went through a red light and hit my car. Very sad day.

Anyway, when I got insurance money after 2 years of owning it, it was more than what I had paid for it, lol. It was an awesome car. The speed, the handling, the head nods from other owners. I bought my Suby Legacy cash after that accident, and I do feel like an old man now, hehe. It's an automatic and very dependable. Regular gas an maintenance are so cheap compared to a performance car like the Evo, I love it. I miss flying past people in traffic and racing the car, but now I have money in pocket and more time to myself.

On a separate note, I hope Subaru comes out with a WRX that has paddle type shifting so my wife can drive it. I can't stand the new 2010 Legacy's, they look like Chevy Impalas. They're way too geared to the old crowed now.

Well, I got my Evo used for 23K. I see what you're saying but even my wife's 2006 Civic has a way better sound stage than my Suby. I remember the speakers in my old WRX used to be 4 1/2" speakers all the way around. No bass or mid-range.

I have an '07 Spec B. I'm the third owner. Car has 37xxx miles on it. I've had ZERO issues. Dash creaks every once in a while, thats about it.

If I were you, given the issues you've dealt with, I would've traded the car in an got something else. Doesn't sound like its worth it to own that particular car.

My biggest complain about the legacy gt is that the suspension sucks. Everything else is doable and acceptable.

My next car will have a good suspension. I will have to somehow test drive lots of cars and figure out, the issue with test driving is that not many car dealers will let me drive their cars by my self. Saab let me thought, that was fun.

My biggest complain about the legacy gt is that the suspension sucks. Everything else is doable and acceptable.

My next car will have a good suspension. I will have to somehow test drive lots of cars and figure out, the issue with test driving is that not many car dealers will let me drive their cars by my self. Saab let me thought, that was fun.

upgrade upgrade upgrade,

$300 rallitek sway bar, done! unless you want to do some serious tracks

My biggest complain about the legacy gt is that the suspension sucks.

OEM suspension DOES suck for the GT. Something turbo, sporty and "GT" should not be so underswayed. I am not saying it should have 23mm sways but maybe the JDM as USDM. Just too underswayed IMO.:redface:

so you are saying lgt = crap? if so why border... lol

x2...:confused:

upgrade upgrade upgrade, $300 rallitek sway bar, done! unless you want to do some serious tracks

^Agreed but OEM is STILL underswayed for OEM for a sporty AWD understeering biyatch. I can't wait to solve this problem.

LOL at young college kid complaining about his 'disappointing' Spec B.:rolleyes:

Whaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

:) Oh I love the replies that make me feel like I'm back over on the 'Tex. Sure I drive a SpecB through college, sure I'm happy with that and know I am pretty lucky to do so. That by no means I can't be critical of a car or be unsatisfied with it and critique and criticize it. Just because I am fortunate, have a very good paying job and am young, does not mean I need to drive a penalty box, or need to be satisfied with something that still disappoints. I still have my opinions and my benchmark vehicles for comparrison, so my age should really be a moot point; although I'm sure many opinions will vary.

I've been babying my car a lot lately. This summer is taking a tole on me. I have a scuff on my bumper I need to pay to fix, my buddy shattered my iPhone screen by accident, I had to do a clutch replacement and install and various other little things have caused me to be throwing my money into a black hole. As a result I've been babying this car for the past two months since the clutch started to slip. Grandma-like turns, granny-shifting and the like. I took the car out for a nice, spirited blast the other night and returned rather pleased. Once you're "in the zone," little things like creaks, squeaks and clunks disappear and give way to a fun driving experience. The new clutch and shortshift kit I did blew my mind for spirited driving. I'm actually able to drive this thing much smoother the harder I push it (go figure).

I still stand by most of the things I have said, but all in all I'm not saying this car is such a disappointment that I need to turn around and sell it. Let's face it, 300+HP, AWD, 6MT and a bit of speed for just over 33K is pretty hard to beat. Remember, I said that there were determining factors that steered me into an LGT instead of an S4 or other Euro car. I'm here now, I'm not going anywhere, but I do have my opinions about the car. I had a feeling from the start that I would have been much happier in the STI than in a Legacy, but it's too late to turn around and make those decisions now. For now it seems like the one thing that I really need to work on in this car are the Bilsteins. They allow way too much body roll in corner. I'll probably end up investing in some swaybars if I have the cash laying around in the future. Who knows what's next for Scrappy the SpecB.

I'm not trying to come in here to bitch and moan and make people think I "hate" this Legacy. I have read quite a few posts where people claim I "hate" my car. Please find me a direct quote where I said I "hate" my Legacy. My ownership experience with it has just been drastically different than my ownership experience of a Euro vehicle. I'm just voicing my opinion. I'm not trying to trash talk LGTs, or any Subaru for that matter. I already stated that all cars have their short-comings and downfalls and I have my opinions about them.

I got done reading the complaints 2 pages ago, so I'm just going to answer the OP and initial question.

I LOVE my subaru. I am #3, went from a 98 Impreza L I got used in college ( wasn't fortunate enough to afford a new car while working my way through school) with 98k the car ran great and I beat the hell out of it driving through WVU hills and around a college campus. Never failed me once, worst i had was a leaking rear main seal at 100k.

When I graduated I decided I could justify a new car payment, but my driving record couldn't afford me a wrx lol... so I got an '05 RS Impreza. It was EVERYTHING I expected for the price and set up it was. I drove it for 2 years and 50k+ miles. When I was finally financially sound and needed a more comfortable ride, I decided to get the LGT. With trade in and VIP discount from work I spent a little over 28k on the car. Now that a few things have changed in my personal life and my income has been cut in two I sometimes think about still having my '05 paid off by now, but EVERYTIME I drive and mash on the gas I just smile :D

I guess my comparison is all the previous cars I've owned.... out of the couple dozen the only ones worth noting are a Mitsubishi Galant VR4... got my turbo love from it but it caught on fire while driving..... and an SHO Taurus.... it had INSANE power but in the winter and in rain couldn't handle for anything.....

So I guess I'm fortunate I haven't driven many "nicer" cars to compare my LGT to.

But at 63k my '08 LGT 5MT pleases me just fine, and after my 60k maintence by AZP installs, it seems she is holding up rather well for the mileage. As soon as I get situated a little more soundly I can't wait to do some suspension mods... then maybe some power....

OEM suspension DOES suck for the GT. Something turbo, sporty and "GT" should not be so underswayed. I am not saying it should have 23mm sways but maybe the JDM as USDM. Just too underswayed IMO.:redface:

x2...:confused:

^Agreed but OEM is STILL underswayed for OEM for a sporty AWD understeering biyatch. I can't wait to solve this problem.

F&R sways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Night and day:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived