LegacyGT.com

2007-2009 Air Pump Delete with CEL codes and ECU Fix-Pix too

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else seeing an uptick in these pumps or solenoid valves failing? I've seen a half dozen stuck solenoids on '06 WRX, '06/'07 FXT models lately, and many times the air pump dies shortly afterward from rust. I'm assuming the valve being stuck open allows exhaust gas laden with condensation to blow back into the pump.

same issue here. valves failing on wrx/foresters. no legacies, or air pumps to date.

• 5 months later...
Anyone have excessive noise from their air pump? When its cold I get an obnoxious "whirring" noise that goes on and off. It cycles for about 2s on, 1s off, 2s on then stops. My car sat for a year without starting; wondering if that caused some issues.
lol

New one to me. Maybe it is on its way out? Could be the sitting and weather caused some build up on the bearings or the wheel (making it out of balance). Have removed at least two systems in the last month.

I can do it rather quickly now (having had plenty of practice). Car will run even with the CEL's. The "trick" is to keep the atmospheric pressure sensor. I have been able to get progressively smaller with how much of it I keep. It is a fairly small sensor stuffed into a large solenoid.

• 1 month later...
It seems like if you're going to the trouble of removing this which requires IM removal, you might as well do TGV deletes at the same time... yes? And there's a TGV delete group buy on nasioc right now... and my bank account is still in the black at the moment...
lol

TGV deletes tend to move the power band to the right. Some owners like it and some dont.

I still perform deletes at the shop. Just dont have a lot of cores, so never advertised shipping them. I do however have a kit in production now that allows at home TGV deleting by members and will sell for about $50.

TGV deletes tend to move the power band to the right. Some owners like it and some dont.

I still perform deletes at the shop. Just dont have a lot of cores, so never advertised shipping them. I do however have a kit in production now that allows at home TGV deleting by members and will sell for about $50.

Nice!

Did you see the nasioc group buy? Alot of vendors on the GB list too. Custom fabricated top feed for $170/ nearly 300 ppl signed up last I checked.

lol

I looked at the design. Appears to be only for metal manifolds. Not plastic manifolds. I have my concerns about them. Seeing how almost no one buys the Coswroth set for $700, I am skeptical that a set costing $170 has the same quality and benefit (if any).

I have seen plenty of nasioc GB go way past 200 buyers. Looks like a bunch of lemmings jumping off a cliff to me.

No testing. No data. Just a member who says they fit and everyone jumps on board. Same thing with the GS AOS. Took a few months of track duty to see the motors failing from oil starvation when using the GS AOS.

Yeah not really concerned with the weight loss, or the engine bay room but more the fact that my pump is iffy and will work from time to time and then other times it wouldn't and I can't remove or disconnect it till I have the ports blocked on the head.

• 5 months later...

Ok, so my Air Pump seized up and is not working, and would prefer to not go through the trouble of removing the entire system. I had my ecu logged and the atmospheric pressure and manifold pressure are close. Is it possible for me to just reflash the ecu to remove the codes and leave everything in its place?

My forester is a daily driver so iam not too worried about weight or performance from the vehicle. Has anyone tried this before?

Yes, I have done this. If the pump fails and the solenoid valves are okay, you can get away with it. You do however need to keep an eye on your fuel trims once you've disabled the codes for the pump. I usually disable the valve codes as well just to save time and trouble later. If the valves do leak you'll see your fuel trims drift ever larger until they hit the limits and trip an error code. As always, perform at your own risk ;)
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I prefer to remove and block off.

So do I mate. I still have those very nice blanking plates you supplied me sitting on a shelf waiting for the pump to die.

Normally it's the dealer or an independent shop that calls me to help with these issues because the customer doesn't want to pay for the new pump. Those guys are also not keen on paying for the labor to pull the hardware off either. You know how it is. Horse and water being together doesn't always result in drinking ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.