LegacyGT.com

2007-2009 Air Pump Delete with CEL codes and ECU Fix-Pix too

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your motor is 07-09, yes? Thats why you want them. There is no different motor designation for the air pump. It is referred to by model year.

If gaskets are on back order from Subaru, good luck. I might have 1 in my tool box, but not all of them.

I missed that post... But yeah if you have an 07 motor why would you be looking for an 05 setup for plates? You need to reference parts for whatever your engine came from. Its the same with my Beretta... Thats and 05 engine in a 96 car... with a 96 trans and 04 heads, and 00 brakes and yeah you get my point... only the shell is a 96.

Also why not just re-use the gaskets that come off the pipes? Being they are MLS type gaskets you will probably be able to re-use them with no issues.

I've thought about deleting the air pump, simply to make maintenance a little easier.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 2 months later...

2 questions for ya..

I have the air pump delete done, but the passenger side solenoid is fully intact. So as long as I cut the top portion off and remove all the magnetic wiring off the black piece I can plug it back in and it would run fine?

Can I pass smog with this delete?

2 questions for ya..

I have the air pump delete done, but the passenger side solenoid is fully intact. So as long as I cut the top portion off and remove all the magnetic wiring off the black piece I can plug it back in and it would run fine?

Can I pass smog with this delete?

Yes, the top part (black) contains the required atmospheric sensor. Keep that and you can delete the codes for CEL's. The car has everything it needs to run properly.

As for smog. A good tech might notice the missing pump. But I doubt it. If that is the only mod done to the car (and it is tuned) it should pass smog. But with any mods, you are generally looking for a "friendly" shop to begin with.

The only time a sniffer would have any chance of detecting this would be during cold warm up period on the car so if you're driving to a place to get it checked, you're good as gold. If you have to leave it there overnight and they check at cold start up, you might be screwed lol. Same goes with the TGV's. The two systems are only used to help warm the motor faster at start up without just dumping lots of fuel in so there isn't a ton of unburned hydrocarbons coming out the exhaust.

I don't even think they would be allowed to test it during a startup procedure, that's just completely unfair since the cat itsn't even fired off yet.

I believe one of the requirements for sniffer testing is that the vehicle is at operating temperature.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

In Cali, it is an idle/2500 rpm test. Car does not have to be at "operating temp", afaik but it usually is. Most techs start it up and then do the visual as it warms up. Bring it in good and warm, after a nice drive. Should not be any issues. Air pump is only in operation for about 30 seconds at start up. No one is going to test at start up.

Yes, the top part (black) contains the required atmospheric sensor. Keep that and you can delete the codes for CEL's. The car has everything it needs to run properly.

As for smog. A good tech might notice the missing pump. But I doubt it. If that is the only mod done to the car (and it is tuned) it should pass smog. But with any mods, you are generally looking for a "friendly" shop to begin with.

thanks for the info. when you say "tuned" do you mean turning off the CELs?

if i go back to stock (w/ air pump delete) and unmarry my AP, would it be possible to turn off CELs through open source?

If car is completely stock and you have the pump delete, opensource can be used to turn off the CEL's associated with the missing pump. If car is good and warm when they smog test, it will pass. Air pump unit is out of operation and bypassed after about first 30 seconds of the engine running, even when it is installed. It is only there to redirect hot exhaust gas and more quickly heat the cats to get them to operating temp faster.

I disagree with the air pump reason. I have been taught that since subaru eliminated the cat in the uppipe to keep them from lodging in the turbo, they needed a way to "clean" up cold start emissions, hence the fresh air added to the exhaust via air pump for the short time after cold start up.

Been a long time since I even looked at an air pump. Lol. But I do not recall any outside air inlet. I am also confused as to how a small amount of "fresh" air would dilute the exhaust gasses enough to satisfy California Air Resource Board. But, anything is possible. I was told by a Subaru master technician that the sytem redirects hot air into to assist in heating the cats to operating temp faster. Hence cleaning up cold start emissions.

Regardless, the engine bay is much easier to navigate without that POS in the way. Lol.

The Air pump itself has an inlet where it pulls in fresh outside air to pump into the exhaust ports on the head.

Our systems are used only to bring the exhaust gas temps higher right at start up to activate the cat quicker and lessen the time that it's not working efficiently.

Secondary air injection

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Secondary air injection (commonly known as air injection, or colloquially smog pump) is a vehicle emissions control strategy introduced in 1966, wherein fresh air is injected into the exhaust stream to allow for a fuller combustion of exhaust gases.

Contents

[hide]

[edit] Development

The mechanism by which exhaust emissions are controlled depends on the method of injection and the point at which air enters the exhaust system, and has varied during the course of the development of the technology.

The first systems injected air very close to the engine, either in the cylinder head's exhaust ports or in the exhaust manifold. These systems provided oxygen to oxidize (burn) unburned and partially-burned fuel in the exhaust before its ejection from the tailpipe. There was significant unburned and partially-burned fuel in the exhaust of 1960s and early 1970s vehicles, and so secondary air injection significantly reduced tailpipe emissions. However, the extra heat of recombustion, particularly with an excessively rich exhaust caused by misfiring or a maladjusted carburetor, tended to damage exhaust valves and could even be seen to cause the exhaust manifold to incandesce.

As emission control strategies grew more sophisticated and effective, the amount of unburned and partially-burned fuel in the exhaust stream shrank, and particularly when the catalytic converter was introduced, the function of secondary air injection shifted. Rather than being a primary emission control device, the secondary air injection system was adapted to support the efficient function of the catalytic converter. The original air injection point became known as the upstream injection point. When the engine is cold, air injected at this point cleans up the extra-rich exhaust and raises the temperature of the exhaust so as to bring the catalytic converter to operating temperature quickly. Once the engine is warm, air is injected to the downstream location — the catalytic converter itself — to assist with catalysis of unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide.

[edit] Methods of implementation

[edit] Pumped air injection

Pumped air injection systems use a vane pump turned by the engine via a belt. The pump's air intake is centrifugally filtered by a rotating screen to exclude dirt particles large enough to damage the system. Air is delivered under pressure to the injection point(s). A check valve prevents exhaust forcing its way back through the air injection system, which would damage the pump and other components.

Carbureted engines' exhaust raw fuel content tends to spike when the driver suddenly releases the throttle. To prevent the startling and potentially damaging effects of the explosive combustion of this raw fuel, a diverter valve is used. This valve senses the sharp increase in intake manifold vacuum resulting from the sudden closure of the throttle, and diverts the air pump's outlet to atmosphere. Usually this diverted air is routed to the engine air cleaner or to a separate silencer to muffle objectionable pump noise.

[edit] Aspirated air injection

Air injection can also be achieved by taking advantage of the negative pressure pulses in the exhaust system at engine idle. A sensitive reed valve assembly called the aspirator valve is placed in the air injection plumbing, which draws its air directly from the clean side of the air filter. During engine idle, brief but periodic negative pressure pulses in the exhaust system draw air through the aspirator valve and into the exhaust stream at the catalytic converter. This system, marketed as Pulse Air, was used by American Motors, Chrysler, and other manufacturers beginning in the 1970s. The aspirator provided advantages in cost, weight, packaging, and simplicity compared to the pump, but the aspirator functions only at idle and so admits significantly less air within a significantly narrower range of engine speeds compared to a pump. This system is still used on modern motorcycle engines, e.g. the Yamaha AIS (Air Injection System).

[edit] See also

[edit] External links

I had to delete these ports on one of the 3400's I built for my Beretta since they had them on some Malibu's back in 2000

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Beretta/installed1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Beretta/smoothport.jpg

Notice it was only on two ports too... Very odd.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Beretta/DSCN0579.jpg

Edited by B-BGTLimited

Has anyone done this with the turbo on the car?

I am going back and forth about removing the system.

• 3 weeks later...
Is anyone else seeing an uptick in these pumps or solenoid valves failing? I've seen a half dozen stuck solenoids on '06 WRX, '06/'07 FXT models lately, and many times the air pump dies shortly afterward from rust. I'm assuming the valve being stuck open allows exhaust gas laden with condensation to blow back into the pump.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.