LegacyGT.com

How to: Installing a BNR turbo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys I'm putting in a 16g been workin on it off and on for a few says now. Anyway it almost finished besides a couple uppipe bolts in way of putting on downpipe, I only need to put on the vacuum lines at wastegate and on intercooler flange. The old t is way 2 small and the new one I have doesn't realy work because the 2 nipples are offset( hard to explain) any advice? Also the nipple on my wastegate comes off at a 90 instead of strait like the one in the pics and is very hard to get to

Sorry I'm kind of a noob im surprised I got this thing in by myself just a few simple things holding me up I'm just ready to fire this thing up

Just did the same install and fired mine up, I'm just chasing down a couple small leaks now.

Yea vacuum was the least of my worrys I fired it up today and had major oil and water leaks. After fooling around with water lines for hours with turbo on I broke 2 banjos and took everything back out and turbo is sitting on workbench again so I can install water lines tomarrow. I think I overtighted them the first time may have broke the copper washers

Just to rediterate one point about the coolant lines.

On my install of the 16g I didn't order a coolant line kit from BNR. Figured a factory unit would be best for my situation. They are on factory back order and could not arrive till next year.

So decided to swap them off the VF40... Well as the black pearl found they will not work on the EVO rotating assembly. The lines are closer together on the EVO than the VF40.

Solution was to cut the tab bridge off both sides of the stock line assembly making them single assemblies hard lines to attach. They both needed a slight tweak in the vise to get the mounting flanges to a point where they can be used. It was a small tweak on each pipe.

Main thing is take your time and fit it once.

I ended up bending the bridge between the lines til they lined up, probably should have cut it. I had alot of smoke from coolant i spilled on the up for about 100 miles now it has finally burned off. I have 2 cel's one for the EGT and one for the cat, since I gutted both the up and 1st cat in the down pipe. Cel's are next on my list of things to do.

Wait so it's normal to get those codes? I installed an up as I was doin the turbo, I didn't kno that would throw a code. Guess it makes since as I got one when I installed a catless downpipe but cyro took care if that with my stage2 tune. So I wonder if the stg 3 tune will take care of that also. What code did you get? I think mine is for front o2 wich I did screw up that sensor trying to get it out.

Wait so it's normal to get those codes? I installed an up as I was doin the turbo, I didn't kno that would throw a code. Guess it makes since as I got one when I installed a catless downpipe but cyro took care if that with my stage2 tune. So I wonder if the stg 3 tune will take care of that also. What code did you get? I think mine is for front o2 wich I did screw up that sensor trying to get it out.

Yep from what I've been reading its normal. I got P0546 Exhaust gas temp sensor circuit malfunction, since I gutted my up, and P0420 Catalyst system below threshold, since I also gutted my downpipe. I've done the resistor mod to fix the 1st code just gotta get a working vagcom to get rid of the 2nd one.

If a few of you guys need the 2.2k ohm resistor for egt delete, PM me.

I've got like 4 left from when I did mine, didn't want to throw them away, and don't need to keep them.

Send me a self addressed stamped envelope and they're yours.

PS- I've got a little over 1,000 miles on my new turbo and Cryo stage 3 tune and have been loving every mile of it.

I might be doing injectors sooner than I had originally planned now, lol! More POWAAA!

Edited by TheBlackPearl
Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

I've never seen a p0546 I had the p0420 at stage 2 and cyro took care of that. Only code I have now is p1153 front o2 sensor range/perf high. That's the sensor in the manifold right? Mite just need a new one seems like I remember it being mangled after taking it out to get to the uppipe bolt.

Also looks like I have more vacuum problems than I thought. I replaced the T and put bigger lines at wastegate and I'm getting barely any boost.. I was informed by cyro that I can't change these lines with the stock boost control system but there is no way I can get the stock lines on the new turbo. Do I need a new bcs and will it make more boost than the stock?

I don't see what other option you have- the nipple on the wastegate actuator is just too big for stock tubing. I replaced the T and used slightly larger hose off the T to the wastegate actuator without any problems.

I did have to do about 4 rounds of adjusting the wastegate actuator arm (the barrel and lock nut) to stop overboosting and get the flap working correctly- have you fiddled with that yet?

I've never seen a p0546 I had the p0420 at stage 2 and cyro took care of that. Only code I have now is p1153 front o2 sensor range/perf high. That's the sensor in the manifold right? Mite just need a new one seems like I remember it being mangled after taking it out to get to the uppipe bolt.

Yep the front o2 is the sensor in the manifold.

Thanx guys I found the oem line in the trash last nite sure enough it has a Restrictior in it.. I had no idea.. I will install a reducer since my new lines are bigger. I havnt messed with the adjustable actuator arm yet but I'm stil on a stg 2 tune until I can get all the bugs worked out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys so I got a grimspeed ebcs to go with my 16g and just screw all the pills. So the nipples on the turbo are 1/4" and like 5/32 on the bcs I believe? Since I will be running all new hoses should I just go with 1/4" and some reducers? Or does it matter what size vacuum hoses are used as long as the tune is right? Thanx again sorry for all the questions

IIRC, I used 7/32 line from the turbo nipples to an inline reducer, then 5/32 line from the reducer to the GS EBCS.

The size on the vac line shouldn't matter as long as you get everything connected without kinks or leaks.

Ziptie all those connections too.

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.