LegacyGT.com

How to: Installing a BNR turbo

BLUF: Great write up. It helped immensely.

Considering I have been going nuts the past (2) weeks due to nasty training schedule. It isn't pleasant but do able. I am now on the last beast of a problem.

Perrin TMIC was placed and realized my Perrin TMIC wasn't aligned enough. Due to space and angle constraints. TMIC 2 TURBO isn't aligned properly. So, envision IOT align the bolts /holes. I threw on my oem and got it to stick. But tune is set up for w/TMIC

(1) will the OEM Show mass changes in a/f ratio (running crazy rich)

(2) Perrin TMIC ; any technique to squeeze that fat bastard in the?

I stopped for the night to breathe in hope someone has mad it happen. Ending 2 weeks of ahhh. This way my wife can't story saying I'm ******* the car beCause SHE hasn't been getting any.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
I know this is a year old, but just wanted to say I'm FINALLY putting in this turbo this weekend after many delays in my schedule... Well wishes and good vibes are appreciated. :)

Good luck on your install! Mine turbo arrived yesterday so I'll be tackling this myself once my injectors get here.

I did this swap over a few nights after work, with the help of this forum including m sprank. Its doable, just take your time. I have pics if anything may help that you dont see on the forum.

Well, the swap took a long time this weekend, but thanks to msprank's writeup it's almost complete. Things to note:

-Some BNR turbos don't have the coolant outlets in the same spacing as stock. I had to cut apart the "bridge" between the stock coolant lines to make them fit.

-Some BNR turbos (like mine) also have smaller holes for the studs to mount the intercooler onto. Make sure to ask to have hardware included, or plan on making a run to the hardware store (like I'll be doing tonight...)

-Check the calibration on your torque wrench with something you're ok with shearing off before trying to install your Infamous oil line kit. Or else you'll shear off a double banjo bolt like I did and curse Autozone for their crappy Duralast torque wrenches... and be asking msprank very nicely to send you a replacement post haste. :D

-Definitely use anti seize on all bolts/studs so if you have to take it apart later it won't take eons to undo all of them like it did for me with them all rusted on there...

Well, the swap took a long time this weekend, but thanks to msprank's writeup it's almost complete. Things to note:

-Some BNR turbos don't have the coolant outlets in the same spacing as stock. I had to cut apart the "bridge" between the stock coolant lines to make them fit.

BNR has changed the inlet housing 3 times. The originals were done in an OEM housing so everything was the same. The 2 designs after that are BNR branded housings and they are slightly different.

-Some BNR turbos (like mine) also have smaller holes for the studs to mount the intercooler onto. Make sure to ask to have hardware included, or plan on making a run to the hardware store (like I'll be doing tonight...)

First I have heard of this. Maybe this is the newest housing design (which I do not believe I have seen in person yet).

-Check the calibration on your torque wrench with something you're ok with shearing off before trying to install your Infamous oil line kit. Or else you'll shear off a double banjo bolt like I did and curse Autozone for their crappy Duralast torque wrenches... and be asking msprank very nicely to send you a replacement post haste. :D

It happens and I understand. If I have the extra parts, I tend to send them out. Yours shipped out today. No charge.

-Definitely use anti seize on all bolts/studs so if you have to take it apart later it won't take eons to undo all of them like it did for me with them all rusted on there...

Good word of advice.

• 7 months later...

OK... so I'm about to get my hands dirty...

Aside from the obvious turbo to dp and up gaskets, what else should I be changing? I will heed the advice of a longer piece of rubber hose for the oil return, mine is leaking any how, but what's the fp oil line? Is this a good upgrade? Sounds like y'all get oil from a new location as well? Better flow? Avcs tap.... need to do some more hw, don't want to do this after the fact, and will have the IM off to perform TGV deletes.

Thanks in advance!

There was a discussion here about where Brian is asking to pickup the Oil feed. He's suggesting using a sandwich adapter mounted between the block and the oil cooler.

I'm still using the V1 IPT hose kit with a V2 filter (40 micron) with the dual banjo bolt on the right OCVS.

1. Banjo bolt filter(s) deleted the week I bought the car, (thanks to this forum!) good call tho! :thumbs-up:

2. My Google Search for "LGT parts to include during turbo swap" brought me to this thread... and it was the most relevant, with some of the most knowledgeable posters subscribed. Therefore I asked my question and-

I found my answer, mostly because m-spank is THE MAN, and well because it IS relevant... despite not being precisely on topic.

Sorry for the disturbance; carry-on

Edited by oODanKNesSOo

1. Banjo bolt filter(s) deleted the week I bought the car, (thanks to this forum!) good call tho! :thumbs-up:

2. My Google Search for "LGT parts to include during turbo swap" brought me to this thread... and it was the most relevant, with some of the most knowledgeable posters subscribed. Therefore I asked my question and-

I found my answer, mostly because m-spank is THE MAN, and well because it IS relevant... despite not being precisely on topic.

Sorry for the disturbance; carry-on

Edited by oODanKNesSOo

Awesome, great job searching and great job getting rid of the filter. I was only asking because I see other turbos recommended in Brian's thread, and that seems weird to me. But it doesn't apply in this case.

• 1 year later...