LegacyGT.com

Unintended acceleration in 1st gear...

If I slowly release the clutch with just a small amount of throttle, sometimes the car will continue its rate of acceleration until I depress the clutch or tap the brake. It results in a lurching forward for quite a ways. I can have no feet on any pedals but it will continue accelerating. If I don't press the clutch/brake, it will eventually stop after a few seconds.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Is it PULLING itself to 2krpm or is it coasting UP to 2krpm on a slight downgrade possibly?

For comparison:

My car will idle at 500rpm in 1st and pull the car no problem on a flat surface, feet off the pedals. Never increases or decreases revs.

Is it PULLING itself to 2krpm or is it coasting UP to 2krpm on a slight downgrade possibly?

For comparison:

My car will idle at 500rpm in 1st and pull the car no problem on a flat surface, feet off the pedals. Never increases or decreases revs.

Oh, it's definitely PULLING the car up to 2k. It happened yesterday at work. The driveway to my work is noticeably uphill. After the gate opened, I started moving forward a bit and the car began lurching on its own. I had to hit the brakes since there was cross traffic.

Interesting to see so many others with the same experience.

if the engine is on and the car is in gear and u slowly release the clutch just about every vehicle known to man will do what your saying.. this is nothing out of the ordinary. none the less you should properly show your wife how to stop the vehicle. put the car in neutral or have the clutch pedal pressed if you are sitting still.

if the engine is on and the car is in gear and u slowly release the clutch just about every vehicle known to man will do what your saying.. this is nothing out of the ordinary. none the less you should properly show your wife how to stop the vehicle. put the car in neutral or have the clutch pedal pressed if you are sitting still.

:lol: Ok, so you haven't experienced it...calm down.

This isn't just the engine idle carrying the car forward. This is the engine/ecu applying throttle on its own. As in, the speed of the engine and thus the vehicle increases even when going uphill, without any throttle manipulation at all. Engaging first gear without throttle should either lug along slowly or stall out in the case of a hill.

And for those following, I reproduced it a few times this morning and it always goes up to ~2200rpm before it cuts out and returns to idle.

mine does the same thing...it almost feels like the accelerator is sticking after you release clutch and press down the power pedal a little bit. if i left off the pedal immediately after i give it a little gas, it does surge a tad. used to it now

Well, it's certainly a great place to start. If the throttle plate is being held open, it sure as hell isn't because my foot is asking it to be :) I guess I could data log a few of these events and try to see what's going on.

Archived