LegacyGT.com

New car time...Help Me Pick

So I’ve been thinking about getting rid of the legacy for a while now. Almost pulled the trigger last year on a 1 year old 335xi, but thought it best to wait until I got my tax return this spring. (About 13k including the 8k in housing credit)

Now I’ve saved a sizeable amount of coin, and I’m ready to go shopping. I bought the legacy for cash in 2007, and I’m planning on doing the same thing again for this next car.

I’ve narrowed it down to one of the following three vehicles:

2009 G37x (24k miles, every option)

2008 BMW 335xi (31k miles, every option minus navigation)

2009 G8 GT (17k miles, every option…which doesn’t mean very much. Basically a sunroof and heated leather)

I’ve test drove them all, and really enjoyed each of them for different reasons. The Pontiac has an amazing power plant and lots of room, but the interior quality was naught in comparison to the other two and it lacks AWD. The BMW feels the best well rounded with amazing interior quality and driving experience / handling, but was the most expensive. The G37 has an amazing interior as well (including navigation), but doesn’t seem as ‘planted’ as the BMW. It is however, cheaper than the BMW by quite a bit.

Whatever I buy, I want to mod it. That obviously lends itself better to the BWM with its abundant tuning options or the G8 with the L76 motor that seems to have an endless abundance of parts and tuning options. The g37 has little for bolt-ons, but there is a GTM Supercharger kit available that safely pushes it up towards 450whp on stock internals. The price difference between the BMW and the Infiniti would nearly make up the entire difference between the supercharger kit as well. The Dinan stage 2 offering for the BMW puts it into the same territory power wise, but without all the hardware and it provides a warranty .

Am I missing something obvious? I’m leaning towards the Infiniti, because of cost, lower miles the AWD (vs the G8) . One thing I have not looked into is the difference in Insurance between these 3. The legacy has been great for insurance, and a buddy of mine only pays a little more per year than me with his 07 G35x. I have no clue what premium the BMW name comes at, but need to find out.

Suggestions? (And no...the 2010 LGT is not an option...):lol:

First decide on RWD/AWD, then...

Save up a little longer and get the new S4. Better than the 335xi in every way and tuning options will be coming out soon to rival the options of the N54 engine.

Also Cobb makes an AP for the G37, but stage 2 (high flow cat) power increase is only 11% hp and 6% lb/ft at wheels. So not much to gain there, but a sweet car still

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Well if AWD is not mandatory and you are looking at pre-owned cars then I would give extremely serious consideration to a Cadillac CTS-V. If you are willing to save more money or finance a little bit of the purchase a new CTS-V will stomp pretty much all your other candidates. 556hp for the win.

Also consider other cars where mods are available - like VW Golf. But it may come down to the size of the car - you may not want a small car.

And if you want a lot of mods - check out Honda Civic and then turn to "Ricer Denial" mode.

453747.png

well if awd is not mandatory and you are looking at pre-owned cars then i would give extremely serious consideration to a cadillac cts-v. If you are willing to save more money or finance a little bit of the purchase a new cts-v will stomp pretty much all your other candidates. 556hp for the win.

+1

Except the new a4 is still made by Audi, soooooo maybe not better in all ways.

335i for teh win,

Audi S4 vs BMW 335i

hint: Audi FTW!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q4/2010_audi_s4_vs._2009_bmw_335i-comparison_tests

....but seriously both sweet cars

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

This dude lives in Provo, UT. I bet that has something to do with the strong desire for AWD. I've run into a couple CRAZY snowfalls in and around Provo.

I agree that while AUDI makes "nice" cars, they don't make "good" cars. Not that BMW's long term reliability is all that great either, but it's still leaps and bounds better than AUDI. If reliability is a factor at all, I'd probably lean slightly toward the G37x.

This from Consumer Reports Best & Worst Automakers of 2009

(VW=Audi, Nissan=Infiniti etc...)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/cars/new-cars/buying-advice/who-makes-the-best-cars/comparing-the-carmakers/best-cars-compare.jpg

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

This dude lives in Provo, UT. I bet that has something to do with the strong desire for AWD. I've run into a couple CRAZY snowfalls in and around Provo.

I agree that while AUDI makes "nice" cars, they don't make "good" cars. Not that BMW's long term reliability is all that great either, but it's still leaps and bounds better than AUDI. If reliability is a factor at all, I'd probably lean slightly toward the G37x.

That's true. Both Audi and BMW are very 'durable' cars, but neither are very 'reliable'. Major components are strong, but both cars tend to go back to the dealership more often than the Japanese stuff (obviously)

BMW does have free maintenance for 4 years, which gives you peace of mind when buying used, because you can pretty much assume it was well maintained in that time. Smartest thing to do would be to buy a Certified PreOwned BMW. That adds 2 years of comprehensive warranty to the original 4 years, so buying a 1 year old model will actually give you more warranty than a new one. Even the high rollers over at Bimmerforums will tell you you're taking a big risk owning a BMW with no warranty....

My only beef with the G37x is that there's no stick available, which is a deal breaker for me...

Oh and Brady, can I have your username!? I guess I joined too late :lol:

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Well from first hand expierience (dad owns g37, and sister has 330xi) go with the bmw out of those 2 cars. G37 road noise is AWEFULL very anoying and doesnt bring any confidence when going balls 2 the wall into a corner. Where the bmw is quiet on the road and brings tons of confidence when pushing it 2 the limit.

Now for the g8gt, if speed is your biggest priority then thats the only way 2 go. Tons of cheap mods available and it hauls ass right out of the dealer.

so if u want......

speed, and a tq monster go with g8GT

comfort, handling andluxury go with the bmw

and i really couldnt see a good reason 2 go with a g37 over a bmw, there not in the same category

AWD isn't a requirement, but is a definite plus. I've nearly eliminated the g8 from even being thought of because of it. The snow here sucks (we got some last week) and i'd rather not have to deal with storing snow tires. I've had a great set of all seasons on my subie this last year and it did me better than my old is300 on winter tires. The car has to be an automatic (wife driving) and to be honest, i'm ready to stop shifting on a daily basis. (every car i've ever owned has been a manual...frustrating in stop and go traffic commuting)

What legacyurabus said about road noise bothers me...not only because I like a very quiet car, but also because I didn't notice it when I drove it. Consumer reports and edmunds give the g37 and 335 similar marks in road noise, so is it really that noticeable? The g37 I drove was not the S and has the base suspension / wheels and tires. Most people that complain about the noise tend to get the sport package that elevates noise and ride harshness...

It snowed in Provo last week?! I was in Layton and Salt Lake and it was in the 70's all week when I was around. Didn't go as far south as Provo, but that really surprises me. How far up the mountain are you?

Sounds like where I live, we got snow about this time last year too.

As for the OP's need for AWD for winter that is a very valid concern. If it were me, and I had the money I would just get a winter beater like a well maintained pre-owned 1/2 ton crew cab pickup with 4 wheel drive for winter snow duty. Put on a good set of all terrain tires with a severe snow service rating, and when the white stuff starts falling drive that instead of risking your new luxury sports sedan.

Helpful hint (as I am currently driving a 1/2 ton crew cab 4X4 pickup) for winter is adding about 300-500lbs of rock salt, or sand bags to the bed and bulkhead the load in directly over the rear axle. I did this last winter with a new set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on and it was unstoppable in the snow and very stable even in 4X2 mode.

When it is not snowing you'll be amazed at all the uses you find for a pickup too, this is the first one I have owned and as long as I have room for one I will not be without one again. Once it is time for a new car I'll keep the pickup and just add another car, and since I already have my winter driving needs covered I am not restricted to FWD or AWD cars.

It snowed in Provo last week?! I was in Layton and Salt Lake and it was in the 70's all week when I was around. Didn't go as far south as Provo, but that really surprises me. How far up the mountain are you?

It was probably 10 days ago or so. Up in the canyon (towards heber) we get all kinds of weird weather.

I went for the G37. Will welcome you at myg37.com forums if you go the same route. It's an awesome car, very comfy and fun to drive. It was close call between 335i and G37 and it all came down to price. I got a fully loaded red G cheaper than 335i with only a few options in ugly silver color.

AWD isn't a requirement, but is a definite plus. I've nearly eliminated the g8 from even being thought of because of it. The snow here sucks (we got some last week) and i'd rather not have to deal with storing snow tires. I've had a great set of all seasons on my subie this last year and it did me better than my old is300 on winter tires. The car has to be an automatic (wife driving) and to be honest, i'm ready to stop shifting on a daily basis. (every car i've ever owned has been a manual...frustrating in stop and go traffic commuting)

What legacyurabus said about road noise bothers me...not only because I like a very quiet car, but also because I didn't notice it when I drove it. Consumer reports and edmunds give the g37 and 335 similar marks in road noise, so is it really that noticeable? The g37 I drove was not the S and has the base suspension / wheels and tires. Most people that complain about the noise tend to get the sport package that elevates noise and ride harshness...

I just traded in my 08 STi (tons of road noise, mostly tires though) for a g37S coupe and it has very very little road noise. I have heard that it can get loud if the tires are getting close to the end of their life, but mine is just fine and I love it. Got it from Tim Dahle Infiniti, nice guys.

What's your price range?

What do you want to use the vehicle for? Weekend racing, just an everyday car, etc?

Do you want a 2dr, 4dr, hatchback, sedan, possibly an SUV?

What's important to you? MPG, gadgets, interior comfort, status, avialable in manual trans?

If awd wasn't a demand then the G8 would be the way to go. If it is, in which the other two are then you may as well forget it.

Didn't they make/currently make an STS V which is awd? What about a Trailblazer SS or a Grand Cherokee SRT8?

What's your price range?

What do you want to use the vehicle for? Weekend racing, just an everyday car, etc?

Do you want a 2dr, 4dr, hatchback, sedan, possibly an SUV?

What's important to you? MPG, gadgets, interior comfort, status, avialable in manual trans?

If awd wasn't a demand then the G8 would be the way to go. If it is, in which the other two are then you may as well forget it.

Didn't they make/currently make an STS V which is awd? What about a Trailblazer SS or a Grand Cherokee SRT8?

I've decided AWD is a must - and I Hate SUVs. :mad: i'm going to make an offer on an 08 red g37x this weekend.

SHO AWD is probably a joke.

I wouldn't get a G8 GT, I'd only consider GXP. Yeah, I've read that the OP does not want to shift. Getting the same version of the car, just with an auto is okay these days. Getting de-powered version with an auto is a rip-off.

SHO AWD is probably a joke.

I wouldn't get a G8 GT, I'd only consider GXP. Yeah, I've read that the OP does not want to shift. Getting the same version of the car, just with an auto is okay these days. Getting de-powered version with an auto is a rip-off.

I'm the same way. I will not settle for the lesser-powered of a certain line-up, especially when manual is not an option.

OP, I like the Infinity G lineup so let us know what you think if you pull the trigger on that. There's also Volvo if you're looking for AWD, but I've heard their AWD sucks. I did see a badass S60 Evolve the other day, though. That looked interesting.

Archived